Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins looking at Cole and Odorizzi

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:49 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...rizzi-rays.html

Not really a surprise. Not sure how interested Pitt is in moving Cole but Rays probably want out of Odorizzi. The report also says Twins aren't looking at the biggest names in the relief pitcher market which is also not really a surprise.

• glunn likes this

#2 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:43 PM

Not really a surprise. Not sure how interested Pitt is in moving Cole but Rays probably want out of Odorizzi. The report also says Twins aren't looking at the biggest names in the relief pitcher market which is also not really a surprise.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

#3 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:57 AM

I found that article to be a nice bucket of cold water. I'm much less optimistic about a free agent signing than I was before.

The other thing that came out, was Doogie reported that an agent emailed him and said that the front office still sees the team as one year away from truly competing (which is probably true). Makes me think they'll add a pitcher, but has to be at a number they want, they aren't going to be extra aggressive and "overpay".

• Doomtints likes this
Papers...business papers.

#4 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:52 AM

Cole is a full step or more above Odorizzi. Would likely cost a lot more. I'm thinking Gordon plus something else pretty decent (hopefully not Gonsalves or Romero, but realistically probably). 

As for each of these news reports of the Twins doing their due diligence, it seems clear that Falvine is prioritizing middle to high-end starting pitching, and that they are considering all options, from Otani, to Darvish/Arrietta, to Cobb/Lynn, to trading for higher end pitchers like Cole. Given that, I wouldn't conclude at all from the fact that because they looked into player A or route X they aren't also looking at player B or route Y.

• Mike Frasier Law and dbminn like this

#5 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

Cole is a full step or more above Odorizzi. Would likely cost a lot more. I'm thinking Gordon plus something else pretty decent (hopefully not Gonsalves or Romero, but realistically probably). 

As for each of these news reports of the Twins doing their due diligence, it seems clear that Falvine is prioritizing middle to high-end starting pitching, and that they are considering all options, from Otani, to Darvish/Arrietta, to Cobb/Lynn, to trading for higher end pitchers like Cole. Given that, I wouldn't conclude at all from the fact that because they looked into player A or route X they aren't also looking at player B or route Y.

I would be surprised if the Pirates were willing to trade Cole.  

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#6 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,786 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:12 AM

agreed.

they could be looking to acquire more than one starting pitcher this offseason. They couldn't acquire both via free agency as it would handcuff them for future payroll nor could they trade for both as it would gut the farm.

• dbminn likes this

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,401 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

I think that the fact that they are looking at all options is a breath of fresh air.

Not sure I'm thrilled with the comments on the pen, but there are plenty o 3/27 types out there in the market this year that they should be able to get one or two if desired.

• Sconnie likes this

#8 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:56 AM

I think that the fact that they are looking at all options is a breath of fresh air.

Not sure I'm thrilled with the comments on the pen, but there are plenty o 3/27 types out there in the market this year that they should be able to get one or two if desired.

The pen is important but finding a top of the rotation starter is critical path.There are a couple of promotion candidates such as Reed that could help the pen situation as well.

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:57 AM

The pen comments didn't surprise me at all. The Twins are still a small market team and they aren't going to give a guy like Davis a huge deal. There are enough arms on the market that they can improve the pen without going over 110m payroll or so.

• diehardtwinsfan, Twins33 and howieramone2 like this

#10 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,786 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

there's enough bullpen options available that Falvine can let the market play out a bit. No need to overpay in this free agent class of BP arms.

• gunnarthor, Twins33, Mike Frasier Law and 4 others like this

#11 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:37 AM

plus with the public getting these rumors that the Twins are doing what they always do but now making it visible so it helps create interest and sell more tickets. thus allowing bigger tucket expenditures. but now we have to get one or its a huge let down. getting a solid starting pitcher and 2 solid relievers not on a minor league contract work for me.

#12 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:43 AM

Two thoughts:

1. They did leave four spots open on the 40-man, so some moves must be coming, and
2. I agree that NOT buying in the first round of free agency makes sense for bullpen arms.