Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: What's Next For Kohl Stewart?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 nater79a

nater79a

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

While Kohl Stewart does have the potential too be a regrettable loss, we left him of the 40-man for a reason. And it would plain stupid to just let him go through the Rule 5 Draft. He's a 1st rounder!!! Whose stock hasn't taken too big of a hit. Hopefully all this means is that Falvine is planning to deal Stewart like the A's dealt Jaycob Brugman to Orioles (MLBTR). In the same MLBTR article, it was also mentioned that the Twins are exploring trades for relievers such as Raisel Iglesias, Brad Hand, Alex Colome, and Justin Wilson.

Although I've said this many times, I still believe that Brad Hand would be the best option for the Twins, and would fit perfectly in our bullpen (another lefty besides Rogers) and Minnesota (hometown is Chaska). In the comment section of the MLBTR article it's mentioned many times that Nick Gordon would probably be the center piece in a deal for any of those 4 relievers.So I believe a package of Gordon, Stewart, and Felix Jorge would be an offer that San Diego would find hard to refuse be they are in dire need of a SS and needs young starting pitching (like every other team in the league).

Think trades for Colome or Hand would take a higher end pitching prospect than Stewart to go with Gordon.Maybe need to add Thorpe or Littell..most likely a deal breaker. Wilson tailed off a bit with the Cubs late this year so he could probably be had for less.

#42 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,137 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:30 AM

I would take him in an instant if I was a bad team. Put him in the bullpen and see what his stuff looks like.

Same here, but I put Stewart's chances of sticking on a 25-man roster for a full season very low. Like <10% low.

Which raises the next question: does the new front office like Stewart enough to take him back or would they work out a deal with the claiming team?

#43 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

Same here, but I put Stewart's chances of sticking on a 25-man roster for a full season very low. Like <10% low.

Which raises the next question: does the new front office like Stewart enough to take him back or would they work out a deal with the claiming team?

I would hope they would take him back, but a prospect that would not have to be added to the 40 man for a couple of years with upside could be fine with me.

#44 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,137 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

I would hope they would take him back, but a prospect that would not have to be added to the 40 man for a couple of years with upside could be fine with me.

I mean, probably. My primary question is whether the organization is so down on him that they'll take anything for him just to move on.

#45 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:21 PM

I'm over Stewart. I've been hoping he could put it together, but doubting it more each day. If I was a bad team, why would I want a guy that doesn't miss bats and sits in the low 90s with a straight fastball? He won't get claimed. Jury is out on him. Unless he finds more bite to his slider or a cutter, he is destined to fizzle out.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#46 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:11 AM

I'm over Stewart. I've been hoping he could put it together, but doubting it more each day. If I was a bad team, why would I want a guy that doesn't miss bats and sits in the low 90s with a straight fastball? He won't get claimed. Jury is out on him. Unless he finds more bite to his slider or a cutter, he is destined to fizzle out.

I would try him in the bullpen. Might get a couple more ticks and figure this guy out. Definitely would be worth a look
  • Twins33 likes this

#47 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,934 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

I want to offer a word of caution. Many people were saying we had become contenders after the 2015 season (praising Ryan for a super quick rebuild). Then 2016 happened. With our pitching, I am not sure we can say we are out of the woods yet because we had a good season. We could EASILY end up in the 70 win area next season.

Edited by jimmer, 01 December 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#48 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

Not that it means much, besides the odds of drafting, but 2013 #1 overall Mark Appell was also left off a 40 man.