Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Three Bagger: Darvish, Marte & Otani

shohei otani yu darvish jelfry marte thad levine
  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:37 AM

Darvish is 31. And hasn't he had some injury issues the last couple of years?

I'm not wild about 30 something year old starting pitchers. The Twins already have one of those on the staff. 

But, I also admit I'm not wild about spending big bucks on FA pitching, especially when a pitcher is on the other side of 30. Granted, Santana has done darn well but, I think he's more the exception than the rule.

Of course, this leads into the very real problem the Twins have when it comes to lack of pitching in the farm system. 

And that leads me to believe the Twins are going to have to trade for a younger arm out of another farm system. 

Bottom line, I'm expecting the FO to do something other than the obvious.

He had one major arm issue, resulting in Tommy John back in 2015. That caused him to miss all of that season plus a portion of 2016 recovering. 

His velocity has actually improved after he returned from surgery, from 93.4 MPH in 2014 to 94.7 MPH in 2017. 

Besides the Tommy John, he's been durable a la Ervin, so I'm not that concerned about him being 31 years old. He should have 3 more good seasons in him at least. 

Now, it's still not certain whether this is realistic so I'm holding back from future heartbreak.... If this is truly realistic, I'd be ecstatic. 

• kab21 and nytwinsfan like this

#42 Tommygun921

Tommygun921

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

I'm guessing Twins are pushing for Darvish in part because they want him pitching for them, but also because they believe this signing could help lure him to MN vs New York where he'd surely make more money in endorsements and ect to make up some of the money lost by coming to the states early.

#43 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,775 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

He had one major arm issue, resulting in Tommy John back in 2015. That caused him to miss all of that season plus a portion of 2016 recovering. 

His velocity has actually improved after he returned from surgery, from 93.4 MPH in 2014 to 94.7 MPH in 2017. 

Besides the Tommy John, he's been durable a la Ervin, so I'm not that concerned about him being 31 years old. He should have 3 more good seasons in him at least. 

Now, it's still not certain whether this is realistic so I'm holding back from future heartbreak.... If this is truly realistic, I'd be ecstatic. 

Okay, thank you for filling me in. 

Like most of us, I think, I'm really interested to see what the new FO does this off-season, whether it's trading for a younger arm or making a FA splash.

#44 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,775 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

I'm guessing Twins are pushing for Darvish in part because they want him pitching for them, but also because they believe this signing could help lure him to MN vs New York where he'd surely make more money in endorsements and ect to make up some of the money lost by coming to the states early.

I don't know that NY is going to spend the money to bring in Darvish. During the playoffs last year, one of the broadcasters mentioned that NY was looking to get under the salary cap so they're not paying the luxury tax any more. Specifically, the conversation was about resigning CC Sabathia and whether or not Sabathia would take a pay cut to stay with NY and get NY under the cap. (going from memory here, so, the possibility exists that I imagined the whole thing)

#45 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

Darvish is 31. And hasn't he had some injury issues the last couple of years?

I'm not wild about 30 something year old starting pitchers. The Twins already have one of those on the staff. 

But, I also admit I'm not wild about spending big bucks on FA pitching, especially when a pitcher is on the other side of 30. Granted, Santana has done darn well but, I think he's more the exception than the rule.

Of course, this leads into the very real problem the Twins have when it comes to lack of pitching in the farm system. 

And that leads me to believe the Twins are going to have to trade for a younger arm out of another farm system. 

Bottom line, I'm expecting the FO to do something other than the obvious.

The Twins could resign Colon and then sign Darvish.Darvish would be a "spring chicken" compared to Big Chubby!

In all seriousness, it will be interesting to see what the FO does...

• Blake likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#46 tvagle

tvagle

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

Do not think both is an option, unless there is something I do not know.But the Twins need an ace, this is a good place to start.

It can't hurt to have Darvish around since by all accounts Darvish is both Shohei’s workout partner during the offseason and his favorite player/hero

ICH! - It Could Happen!

Do Anything Realistic Via Incremental Salary Hikes!

#47 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:11 PM

what do you do with your Vikings expectations?

Every year, I expect one or two key players to have life or career changing injuries, at least one person to do something colossally stupid in the offseason or his free time during the season, and the team to find historically notable ways to lose a key game. My expectations are never disappointed.
  • diehardtwinsfan likes this

#48 S.

S.

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

I keep trying to get the pathetic look on Darvish's face from the mound during the World Series out of my head....... and how the rental totally screwed the Dodger's. Not once, but twice. It really was a nightmare. Trusting game 7 to a visitor. Positive the "ace" couldn't pitch so poorly twice in a row in the Series......... Ouch. 

Plenty of good pitchers have played horribly in the playoffs, it happens. Kershaw wasn't exactly impressive for a lot of years in the playoffs. Also, plenty of mediocre and bad pitchers have also played horribly in the playoffs. Also, in order to pitch poorly in the world series, you have to get to the world series. Hell, you have to get to the second round of the playoffs first, which isn't something we've been able to manage for a long long time.

You can't discount a guy's history due to 2 games, especially when there was the whole issue of them using different balls that were slicker and not breaking as much, thus a lot of breaking ball pitchers struggling more than usual.

#49 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

I still can't believe the Twins will sign Darvish but that's because Falvey is from Cleveland and that's not how they operate over there.

On the other hand, Levine is from Texas and that is how they operate over there.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, big dog and tvagle like this

#50 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:40 AM

I don't think it's fair to cite Park or even Nishioka as comparisons or yardsticks as to whether or not we should take a chance on Otani, just because they are Asianplayers who played overseas, Park, for example, turned out to have an injury his first year with the Twins, and last year, after a very impressive Spring Training, he spent all year in the minors. I really don't think he's gotten a fair chance yet. Sure, he's not a young prospect at this point, and I understand the view that we need to "move on" from his signing, but I still think he could do some damage in the majors, that of the positive variety. But back to Otani; I'd love to gamble on his potential!

• Deduno Abides likes this

#51 tvagle

tvagle

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

I still can't believe the Twins will sign Darvish but that's because Falvey is from Cleveland and that's not how they operate over there.

On the other hand, Levine is from Texas and that is how they operate over there.

nsr.gif

• ChiTownTwinsFan likes this

Do Anything Realistic Via Incremental Salary Hikes!

#52 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

I just don't think Levine and Falvey are the type of guys who get stuck in their previous team's way of thinking. That doesn't strike me as their MO at all. I think they are flexible, creative, and practical enough thinkers to look at this from the Twins' long-term perspective, and not impose their previous team's paradigm on their new situation.Could be wrong, but I don't think so. Guess we'll see.

#53 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

Re O(h)tani (I've seen both spellings), here's my out-of-the-box idea:I've been surprised to not hear about (closest to Tokyo MLB city) Seattle in the sweepstakes.Should Seattle enter the fray, I'd love to trade some international dollars to pic up the recently traded Ryon Healy who would be the ideal bat to add.

Here is his split line against LHPs:

We might also get Sam Carlson in the deal!

#54 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

How many American born players get a 3 year deal of $12 Million right out the chute to play in the bigs? ZERO! And Thanks for the geography lesson. Maybe the right player to call out would have been Nishioki from JAPAN! He worked out real well didn't he. I'm pretty sure the intention was to refer to the international market in the area of Korea and Japan. Wonder why the guys in America that can't make it in MLB go over there to play? Because the competition isn't at the same level as here in the Majors. DUH! So why give any money away to a superstar from over there. He'll more than likely just be average here if he's really that good, or he'll just be another Park or Nishioki.

You do realize that 3-4 million per year over a few years in the MLB is almost nothing, right? That's a ho-hum middle reliever contract. Brian Duening signed for $2 million last year.

Signing Park is having absolutely zero negative impact on the Twins.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#55 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

I still find it hard to believe that ownership would open their wallet to the tune of $150-$200 million if Falvine asked for it.

#56 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

One of many Plan B's for the Marte money is Cuban OF Julio Martinez.Just 21, he hopes to play High A or AA ball this year.

https://www.baseball...id=martin009jul

He is listed at 5' 7", 157 lbs.

• drjim likes this

#57 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

I still find it hard to believe that ownership would open their wallet to the tune of $150-$200 million if Falvine asked for it.

They did it for Mauer seven years ago.

#58 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,118 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:36 PM

They did it for Mauer seven years ago.

for an inhouse, hometown player they drafted and developed and that they know everything about.

Edited by jimmer, 18 November 2017 - 09:38 PM.

#59 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:23 AM

I'm not skeptical because of Park...I'm going further back than that to a guy that was the star in Japan.He was considered the best player in Japan after hitting .346 and leading the league in hits (206) and runs scored (121).He was fast.He was a switch hitter.He was the man in Japan!...and failed miserably for the Minnesota Twins.

Yes, he wasn't a pitcher.But DHing might not come so easily for Otani here as Nishioka's .346 equated to .226 over here.I'm skeptical, but might be willing to give it a try.

hyperbole on what does not exist. NIishi would not be considered the man in Japan based off an outlier season. That being said, I wasn't in Japan tosay either way.

#60 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

for an inhouse, hometown player they drafted and developed and that they know everything about.

Sure, but we're talking about a new front office. My point is that the money is available and it's the front office's decision how to spend that money. The owner controls payroll but generally doesn't get involved with how that payroll is allocated.

• jimmer likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shohei otani, yu darvish, jelfry marte, thad levine