Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Paul Molitor Wins American League Manager Of The Year

paul molitor aj hinch terry francona
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,804 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

I’ve actually had the conversation with several Twins fans here in LA: “what do you think of Molitor as a manager?”

We tend to agree that the Twins win despite him. Not much of a consensus, but it’s at least a verdict, locally anyway...

Good for him. I’m not overly excited about the news.
  • Longdistancetwins and gman like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#22 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 19,768 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:38 PM

If nothing else the last two years have confirmed what we all knew about Molitor. He is either a very very poor manager, or a very very good manager. :)

Well played, sir.

Fitting the Post Of The Year appears in the MOY thread.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#23 NCtwinsfan

NCtwinsfan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:07 PM

2 Gold Gloves, a consensus Defensive Player of the Year, Manager of the Year. The thrill of the playoffs (albeit a quick thrill). Awesome. I really enjoyed the 2017 season. Thank you to the Twins organization from the biggest Twins fan in North Carolina. See you in Fort Myers in March.

Sorry, I beg to differ :)

Anyway, Congrats to Molitor!

• ashburyjohn, snepp, Longdistancetwins and 4 others like this

#24 dbminn

dbminn

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

Here's the help Hinch got from his FO in 2017:

• Full seasons of Bregman and Gurriel (1190 v. 350 PA in 2016) in place of Valbuena, Tyler White and AJ Reed
  • Reddick and McCann in place of Castro, Gomez, Preston Tucker and Rasmus
  • Charlie Morton to replace Doug Fister
  • Verlander for the stretch run

Hinch did a great job but he had a lot of FO help. Here's what the FO brought for Molitor:

• Castro and Gimenez for Suzuki
  • Belisle and Breslow for the bullpen
  • Ehire Adrianza
  • One start from Garcia
  • Kinzler and Garcia removed for the stretch run

I wouldn't have been upset if Hinch had won. The writers made the right choice. Congratulations Paul Molitor!

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Kevin and 10 others like this

#25 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:18 AM

Congrats, but he was not worth it.Unless someone wants to give him a pass for the 103 Loss team that he also led. Net change from 2015 = 2 games.That a MoY should does not make.If anything, he deserved it more in 2015.

And if someone thinks that the 103 losses in 2016 was because of the front office only, that someone should be asking for Antony's (the GM for half the season) head.

The award is for the year that it is given, not cumulative.Since the manager is responsible for the 103 loss season, he gets credit for the turnaround, too. What happened? Unlike some many people in this world he got smarter learning from his mistakes.He managed themediocre pitching staff down the stretch better than the more talented teams and finished ahead of them. For that learning, that marshalling of the old, unskilled, under experienced team

Antony should be GM of the year. Nolasco's season versus Santiago//Busenitz's season is likelykey to this year's season. Nunez for Aldaberto the strikeout machinewill look even greater when those nasty umpires quit calling all those balls on Mejia's pitches.

• DocBauer, tarheeltwinsfan, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 1 other like this

#26 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:52 AM

Good for Paul!  Good for Falvey and company too.  Can you imagine the blow back from the average Twins fan out there if we would have let Paul go and he wins MOY???

Mr. Pohlad looks sage now too....

I'm going out to my deer stand this morning to ponder these things some more.

• tarheeltwinsfan, MN_ExPat and VirginSturgeon like this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#27 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

If nothing else the last two years have confirmed what we all knew about Molitor. He is either a very very poor manager, or a very very good manager. :)

I believe Molitor is a quick learner.

#28 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:25 AM

Sorry, I beg to differ :)

Anyway, Congrats to Molitor!

Well, I may not be the biggest Twins' fan in NC (I still think I am), but I probably have been pulling for this franchise longer...since 1954, when I went to Griffith Stadium in DC with my brother and our grandfather. Saw Roy Seivers, Eddie Yost, Clint Courtney, Chuck Stobbs and Dean Stone. Of course the Senators lost to the Tigers that day, but it was the start of my love for the Senators/Twins. Top that, NCtwinsfan. :)
  • Longdistancetwins, spinowner, EddieMatthews and 1 other like this

#29 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Administrators
  • 966 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

Congrats to Molitor. I don't think he's the best game manager, but I was very impressed with how his club finished out the year despite facing quite a bit of adversity, some of which was self inflicted by the front office.

It would've been really easy for the team to just have quit in the second half. That was certainly a huge issue in Gardy's last four years. His clubs had a .444 winning percentage in the 1st half and just .365 in the 2nd half over that run.

Anyway, here's hoping Molly can continue to set that tone of professionalism and consistent effort while also picking up some tricks from the new faces in the org.

• Jerr, Dantes929, Longdistancetwins and 1 other like this

#30 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

Congrats to Mollie! I think this is a well earned award.

I understand the comments about the 103 season being under his leadership. However, a lot of things snowballed out of control in 2016, and at some point really early in the season there was no chance to make the playoffs. I give Molitor credit for sticking it out in 2016. I'll bet he earned some loyalty from the players for going through 2016 with them and coming out the other side with hope for 2017.

In 2017, he definitely kept this team together, even after the FO threw in the towel (I'm not criticizing the FO for that). Oh, and he's one of us!

#31 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

I am pleased for him, he really seems like a nice guy just like Gardenhire who finally got the award and was soon given another award by the team - unemployment.A manager has to enjoy the moment. 

#32 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

Well, I may not be the biggest Twins' fan in NC (I still think I am), but I probably have been pulling for this franchise longer...since 1954, when I went to Griffith Stadium in DC with my brother and our grandfather. Saw Roy Seivers, Eddie Yost, Clint Courtney, Chuck Stobbs and Dean Stone. Of course the Senators lost to the Tigers that day, but it was the start of my love for the Senators/Twins. Top that, NCtwinsfan. :)

I'm not sure anybody on this site can top that!Thanks for your loyalty.

-From a 50-year fan.

• dbminn likes this

#33 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:18 PM

-From a 50-year fan.

How great - here I thought the fact that I was an usher at the first Twins game would give me the prize, but you beat me!In the 1950's I would travel with my parents and grandparents to watch the Milwaukee Braves - Aaron, Spahn, Mathews, Burdette, Schoendeinst, Logan, Crandall, Bruton, Covington, Buhl... Loved them and they moved to some strange city where I lost contact and was happy to shift to the Twins! 

• Longdistancetwins and dbminn like this

#34 NCtwinsfan

NCtwinsfan

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

-From a 50-year fan.

Yeah, I definitely can't top that. It's nice to know there is at least one other fan in NC though.

#35 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

Well deserved. Last year was successful ... now the real challenge begins to take the team to the next level.

#36 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

He will me my MOY when the Twins win in the postseason, and my MOD (decade) if they win the World Series. You say the vote is before the Postseason? Not in my world. Looks like whether one likes it or not, he might be around for at least a couple three years to get a chance to have his players make him look good, and he truly may improve, be a quick study, embrace the new world and get lots of help form the FO.

So Congrats just the same. It may be the less one sees someone work, the better they seem. Knowing too much might not be helpful in considering who one votes for.

#37 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:29 PM

I think the award is well deserved, though I wouldnt have complained a bit if Hinch had won it.

Like all awards, By Young, MAP, etc, it's based on this one season, not the year before. Was Molitor on watch for the 2016 debacle? Yes he was. But he was also the guy in charge for the 2015 season in which the team was in contention until the final week, with little to no FO support for the stretch. 2 out of 3 quality seasons for a rebuilding team tells me he's doing something right, even if I don't always agree with certain moves.

Couple quick hitters:

1] The team seems to like him, like one another, and play hard.
2] The youngsters are growing and developing under his watch. You can say this circumstantial, but it's still happening.
3] He was never a manager before at ANY level. From my own observations of the team and moves made, I see him learning and growing on the job. I actually thought he was a better manager the second half of the season than the first half from handling of his staff to lineup usage.

Congrats!
  • dbminn and VirginSturgeon like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#38 dbminn

dbminn

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

Couple quick hitters:

1] The team seems to like him, like one another, and play hard.
2] The youngsters are growing and developing under his watch. You can say this circumstantial, but it's still happening.
3] He was never a manager before at ANY level. From my own observations of the team and moves made, I see him learning and growing on the job. I actually thought he was a better manager the second half of the season than the first half from handling of his staff to lineup usage.

Congrats!

Well said. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paul molitor, aj hinch, terry francona