Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

My Offseason Blueprint

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TwinsTerritory

TwinsTerritory

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:12 PM

1. Extensions

I would consider offering extensions to almost all of the Twin's young core, but these two would be my priority:

A. Byron Buxton7 years/$75M

B. Jose Berrios7 years/$44M

The others still have something to prove in my mind (Sano-health, Rosario-consistency at plate, Kepler-ability to hit LH pitching, Polanco-able to stick at SS and continue to hit) and unless they are willing to take less than market value, I'd hold off.I wouldn't consider an extension for Dozier at this time because I feel we have some depth up the middle and I think there's a good chance we could sign him after next season if we feel we need to.

2. Trades

A. Send Wander Javier, Tyler Jay, and Brent Rooker to the Reds for Raisel Iglesias.I'm guessing that this might not be enough for Iglesias, but it would provide the Reds with 3 of the Twin's top 12-15 prospects, including a potential high end bullpen arm, a long term prospect at SS, and a potential big time power hitter in that ballpark.

B. Attempt to trade Robbie Grossman & Kennys Vargas for C-level prospects.If they can't be traded, I'd consider releasing them.

3. Free Agent Signings

A. Sign Alex Cobb to a 4 year/$52M contract.A solid #2/3 starter that you can pair with Santana and Berrios.

B. Sign Brandon Kintzler to a 2 year/$14M contract.Can serve as closer while using Iglesias in tough situations earlier in game.

C. Sign Eduardo Nunez to a 2 year/$14M contract.A solid bat that has some versatility and comes cheaper than some other DH options.Also doesn't clog the DH spot in case Sano has to spend significant time there.

25-man Roster (w/ 2018 salary)

C: Castro $8.0M

1B: Mauer $23.0M

2B: Dozier $9.0M

3B: Sano $0.55M

SS: Polanco $0.55M

LF: Rosario $0.55M

CF: Buxton $1.0M

RF: Kepler $0.55M

DH/UT: Nunez $7.0M

C: Garver $0.55M

UT: Escobar $5.0M

UT: Adrianza $1.0M

OF: Granite $0.55M

SP: Santana $13.5M

SP: Cobb $13.0M

SP: Berrios $0.75M

SP: Gibson $4.5M

SP: Mejia $0.55M

RP: Kintzler $7.0M

RP: Iglesias $5.2M

RP: Hildenberger $0.55M

RP: Rogers $0.6M

RP: Pressly $2.0M

RP: Busenitz $0.55M

RP: Duffey $0.6M

Other Contracts

Hughes $13.2M

Park $6.0M

May $1.0M

Total Payroll: $126.3M

I know this is probably above what most people expect for payroll, but in my mind the Twins need to make a push while Santana and Dozier are around and the young guys are still cheap.

#2 Tomj14

Tomj14

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

1. Extensions

I would consider offering extensions to almost all of the Twin's young core, but these two would be my priority:

A. Byron Buxton7 years/$75M

B. Jose Berrios7 years/$44M

The others still have something to prove in my mind (Sano-health, Rosario-consistency at plate, Kepler-ability to hit LH pitching, Polanco-able to stick at SS and continue to hit) and unless they are willing to take less than market value, I'd hold off.I wouldn't consider an extension for Dozier at this time because I feel we have some depth up the middle and I think there's a good chance we could sign him after next season if we feel we need to.

2. Trades

A. Send Wander Javier, Tyler Jay, and Brent Rooker to the Reds for Raisel Iglesias.I'm guessing that this might not be enough for Iglesias, but it would provide the Reds with 3 of the Twin's top 12-15 prospects, including a potential high end bullpen arm, a long term prospect at SS, and a potential big time power hitter in that ballpark.

B. Attempt to trade Robbie Grossman & Kennys Vargas for C-level prospects.If they can't be traded, I'd consider releasing them.

3. Free Agent Signings

A. Sign Alex Cobb to a 4 year/$52M contract.A solid #2/3 starter that you can pair with Santana and Berrios.

I think that is way too much to pay for Iglesias (Rooker straight up might be too much), and no where near what Cobb is going to get. I do like the extensions to Berrios and Buxton.

Edited by Tomj14, 13 November 2017 - 03:21 PM.

• HrbekRules likes this