Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Outside the box Idea: Trade for Giancarlo Stanton

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,821 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

The Twins "window" is NOW, and by trading for Stanton you are getting his 3 prime years before he inevitably opts out of his contract.
Just think of what a lineup of:

Buxton
Dozier
Stanton
Sano

Could do?

The package:
Kepler
Gordon
Kirillkoff
Romero

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#2 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

The Twins "window" is NOW, and by trading for Stanton you are getting his 3 prime years before he inevitably opts out of his contract.

Buxton
Dozier
Stanton
Sano

Could do?

The package:
Kepler
Gordon
Kirillkoff
Romero

He has a full no trade clause and he is not coming here no matter what we offer the Marlins.This is Verlander all over again with even less chance the player would waive their no trade clause to come here.

Edited by Major Leauge Ready, 13 November 2017 - 01:44 PM.

• mikelink45 and DelusionalTwinsFan like this

#3 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:24 PM

He has a full no trade clause and he is not coming here no matter what we offer the Marlins.This is Verlander all over again with even less chance the player would waive their no trade clause to come here.

Why wouldn't he want to come here?The Twins have a very good young core of players with solid/role players at the top of their minor leagues close to making it to the MLB.They have room to spend money this offseason and are positioned to be a very competitive team for the next 5 to 6 years.

I don't think this is the same situation as Verlander at all.If the Twins were trying to trade for Verlander and he killed the deal, it would have been because going to the Astros gave him the very best chance to win the World Series.They were way ahead of all other AL competition this year and it really wasn't close. I don't think he would have killed the deal because he didn't want to play here, it would have been because he had a better option late in the season that he already knew was a great team.

#4 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

I don't think our window is now for one thing. We don't have the pitching to make a deep run as it stands right now
  • ScottyB, Oldgoat_MN, spinowner and 1 other like this

#5 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:03 PM

It's fun to think about that lineup. 

#6 Tomj14

Tomj14

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

Buxton
Dozier
Stanton
Sano

Could do?

The package:
Kepler
Gordon
Kirillkoff
Romero

I would hope the Twins would do that without thinking. The only for sure in that trade is Kepler. I don't think the Marlins would do that deal, but I would offer it to them to see how close it is.

#7 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

I would hope the Twins would do that without thinking. The only for sure in that trade is Kepler. I don't think the Marlins would do that deal, but I would offer it to them to see how close it is.

Yeah you may have to add in more.

It depends on how they view Kepler of course.

Gordon is a top 25 prospect, though they would prob have to add in Gonsalves as well, which would suck, but would be worth it IMO.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#8 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

Buxton
Dozier
Stanton
Sano

Could do?

The package:
Kepler
Gordon
Kirillkoff
Romero

I doubt they'll go after Stanton, and I don't think they should. For the sake of the hypothetical, I don't think they'd have to give up that much if they ate most of or all his contract.

Stanton

For:

Gordon
Jay
Salary Relief

???

Edited by prouster, 13 November 2017 - 03:31 PM.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#9 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

Why do you think he would not want to come to sunny Minnesota?  

#10 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

I doubt they'll go after Stanton, and I don't think they should. For the sake of the hypothetical, I don't think they'd have to give up that much if they ate most of or all his contract.

Stanton

For:

Gordon
Jay
Salary Relief

???

Stanton was worth $60 million last year, and is right in his prime. Whoever trades for him is taking the whole contract, and I doubt there would even be a consideration of any discount because of it.

#11 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, Stanton's contract is a steal to be honest.

That is why he will opt opt out in 3 years.

#12 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,654 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

Just sign JD Martinez you don't need to give up anybody and he'd be cheaper.

• Carole Keller, h2oface, spinowner and 1 other like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#13 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

Just sign JD Martinez you don't need to give up anybody and he'd be cheaper.

Would he be cheaper though? As mentioned, Stanton will opt out in 3 years...like 9% chance of so.

Asking price for JD will be 8 years, 200 million. Not sure I like that as much.

• beckmt likes this

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,868 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:47 PM

Buxton
Dozier
Stanton
Sano

Could do?

The package:
Kepler
Gordon
Kirillkoff
Romero

Need to add Tonkin to balance that trade.

Rats!

• REPETE, h2oface and Sconnie like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#15 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

Why do you think he would not want to come to sunny Minnesota?  

Because I heard an interview with Ken Rosenthal.He said there were four teams he thought Stanton would approve for a trade.(Dodgers | Yankees | Red Sox and I think the 4th one is Chicago.Obviously, he is speculating but he is a little more connected than the rest of us.

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,868 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

Why wouldn't he want to come here? 

(I assume "here" is MN and not SF)

Lemme see:He is from the St Fernando Valley.He lives and works in Miami.Why would anyone in their right mind abandon all that and go to Minnesota to be shown as a dog and/or pony in the Winter Caravan in every little Podunk, ND, SD, and MN, for a month with ridiculous weather?  

Same $ for him.Were me, I'd rather be sipping mojitos in South Beach in January.

Edited by Thrylos, 13 November 2017 - 05:54 PM.

• TNTwinsFan likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#17 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:54 PM

Stanton was worth $60 million last year, and is right in his prime. Whoever trades for him is taking the whole contract, and I doubt there would even be a consideration of any discount because of it.

How are you calculating his worth at $60M?

#18 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:08 PM

I don't think any team will approach negotiations ready to offer the same package with or without taking on that contract. He was worth a lot in 2017, and though he's been good for most of his career so far, he has had a couple seasons dramatically affected by injuries. He's definitely not a lock to put up 7 WAR again. A high quality ball player for sure, but there will be a discount for a team who takes on salary. That's just kind of how it works.

#19 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

I don't think any team will approach negotiations ready to offer the same package with or without taking on that contract. He was worth a lot in 2017, and though he's been good for most of his career so far, he has had a couple seasons dramatically affected by injuries. He's definitely not a lock to put up 7 WAR again. A high quality ball player for sure, but there will be a discount for a team who takes on salary. That's just kind of how it works.

No, that's how it works with past their prime types who are overpaid. The contract is a non issue. What do you think he'd fetch if he were a FA this year? There is your answer.
  • Jham likes this

#20 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

How are you calculating his worth at $60M?

I believe fangraphs uses $8 million per WAR when they calculate how much a player is worth. That is the standard I used.