Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Interested In Reds Closer Raisel Iglesias

brandon kintzler raisel iglesias
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:35 AM

Nick Gordon for Iglesias straight up seems fair. I'd make that trade.

Agreed, but I think they'd probably want something at least a bit more.

• Roaddog and bluechipper like this

#42 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:48 AM

They gave up a defensive CF blocked by an All Star, a potentially good SS, a mediocre 2b and a lotery ticket.Maybe in a few years it will look bad, depends on how long Kimbrell plays for the Sox and if they get a ring.

Ok, but that’s the point - even with the outcomes you mention, it was considered an overpay and the discussions about Iglesias, a lesser pitcher, have the Twins paying more.

#43 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

I've been interested in, and a supporter of, unconventional approaches to managing a pitching staff.

For example, with a mountain of data out there demonstrating that pitchers generally get worse the second and third time through the order, why do managers allow pitchers to throw to the same batter twice?

"Bullpen games" all the time make a lot of sense to me. There are obviously exceptions like Kershaw and Kluber that you may be able to statistically justify running out there multiple times. But, outside of that, it seems to me that you'll get more outs (higher out to batters faced ratio) by using pitchers more often with fewer innings in a "start,". But, maybe my logic is all wrong.

This is a great approach for the post season, but I don't think it would be sustainable over a 162 game schedule.

#44 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

Ok, but that’s the point - even with the outcomes you mention, it was considered an overpay and the discussions about Iglesias, a lesser pitcher, have the Twins paying more.

Compared to the Chapman and Miller trades it was not an overpay.Maybe the Giles trade because people were slow to accept that Appel was a raisin. You are right that Raisel is no Kimbrel, or Miller or Chapman.The trade to look at is Davis for Soler. The unfortunate part for the Twins is that the Reds are likely to think that the return should be like the former, not the later.Over valuing you player is not new, see Brad Hand still being a Padre.Just Gordon would be an underpay, a couple of low ranked prospects thrown in would be the norm. Graterol has too high of ceiling but is also so far away that I doubt that he wold be considered. A third piece would be of the low minors, but not as high of a ceiling

• GP830 likes this

#45 gheggs42

gheggs42

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

That's a really good point.

Why not have both?

#46 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

Compared to the Chapman and Miller trades it was not an overpay.Maybe the Giles trade because people were slow to accept that Appel was a raisin. You are right that Raisel is no Kimbrel, or Miller or Chapman.The trade to look at is Davis for Soler. The unfortunate part for the Twins is that the Reds are likely to think that the return should be like the former, not the later.Over valuing you player is not new, see Brad Hand still being a Padre.Just Gordon would be an underpay, a couple of low ranked prospects thrown in would be the norm. Graterol has too high of ceiling but is also so far away that I doubt that he wold be considered. A third piece would be of the low minors, but not as high of a ceiling

Good points, but mid-season trades for the final piece are often more expensive.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brandon kintzler, raisel iglesias