Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Interested In Reds Closer Raisel Iglesias

brandon kintzler raisel iglesias
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

Nick Gordon for Iglesias straight up seems fair. I'd make that trade.
  • nytwinsfan likes this

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 18,038 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:11 PM

Strictly speaking from a "how does he look on our roster" standpoint. 

YES... Absolutely... YES

I have no idea what he would cost... I have no idea how his cost would compare to others who might be available. 

All of that aside... We could use the guy... I think he's fantastic. 

• bluechipper, Vanimal46 and Tom Froemming like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#23 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

Too expensive in terms of prospects, instead the Twins should go after possible breakout starter/relievers Bryan Mitchell (former top prospect) and or Luis Cessa (both top out around 98-99 mph) of the Yankees for a more reasonable price of prospects. The Yankees don't have enough room on their 40 man roster for all of Mitchell, Tyler Austin, Cessa, Garret Cooper, and others (on MLBTR) so a trade is definitely possible as long as the Yankees get prospects in return. To sweeten the deal for both sides the Twins could also swap the contract of Phil Hughes for either of Jacoby Ellsbury, Starlin Castro, or Chase Headley and then flip that contract for pitching or prospects or hold on to the veteran.

I one thing the Twins have that the Yankees want is (are) international signing dollars for the Great Otani Sweepstakes. I could see $1 or $1.5 million moving. Of course this would mean trading to The Great Satan.
  • Cory Engelhardt likes this

#24 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

No way do I send anything to help the Yankees unless top pitching prospects are involved.

#25 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,754 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

That's the million dollar question, is it more important to trade for an impact SP or impact RP? The Twins certainly need both. 

A SP gives a team more innings, but a really good RP gives a team an opportunity to put out fires multiple games a week. In today's baseball where starters go 5-7 innings, maybe a shut-down reliever is more valuable than we think. 

There's no question they are valuable, but let's also consider that better starters leads to less stress on the pen. That shut down reliever won't be needed quite as much.

Personally, if they want a shut down reliever, go get Wade Davis or one of the other top tier relievers. They don't cost prospects. If Davrish/Lynn doesn't excite Falvine, then they can use those prospects to get your man-crush out of Pittsburg or Archer out of Tampa.

We have a decent system, but I figure they have the prospects to make one big splash without hurting the future. I'd rather that go for someone that isn't as easily found in FA.

• Twins33 and Vanimal46 like this

#26 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

Interesting idea on Iglesias.I know some want better starting pitching, but I think more and more teams are taking a different approach just because shutdown starting pitching is so tough to come by.KC kind of showed the blueprint two years ago and I think the Yankees are also taking this approach...they look to their starting pitching for 5-6 innings and just don't want to get blown up.After that, they bring in shutdown reliever after shutdown reliever and effectively shorten the game for the other team (basically, they have 5-6 innings to score).They win innings 6-8.I really think you are going to see more and more teams take this approach.

• Riverbrian, tarheeltwinsfan, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#27 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

The fact they are targeting relievers in trade may mean they like starters better in free agency.

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,906 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:04 PM

There's no question they are valuable, but let's also consider that better starters leads to less stress on the pen. That shut down reliever won't be needed quite as much.

Personally, if they want a shut down reliever, go get Wade Davis or one of the other top tier relievers. They don't cost prospects. If Davrish/Lynn doesn't excite Falvine, then they can use those prospects to get your man-crush out of Pittsburg or Archer out of Tampa.

We have a decent system, but I figure they have the prospects to make one big splash without hurting the future. I'd rather that go for someone that isn't as easily found in FA.

Agreed. On paper it looks like there are more shut-down relievers in FA than impact SP. And, given that there's enough high end prospects in the system to make one blockbuster type trade, I'd go with my man crush Cole, or Archer.

The FO knows more than us whether it's truly realistic to trade for Archer or Cole.... For now, it appears they're exploring all options, so I can't complain so far. 

• flpmagikat and Deduno Abides like this

#29 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

Relief is just a swallow away. The Twins should sign a free agent named Speedy, who has been out of work for a while now. He specializes in Fast Relief. His fastball is effervescent.

#30 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

I don't know what Cincy is looking for in return. But Gonsalves, Kirilloff, Rooker are untouchables for me. I'm not giving up the pitcher with the best chance to be an Ace type pitcher, or the OF with the highest potential for both power and average, or the guy that has the most power potential in the minor league system. Due to the depth at SS (Lewis, Palacios, Javier) in the minors I would consider Nick Gordon. It would still be a hard pill to swallow. I suppose you'd have to add some pieces like Brusdar Graterol and John Curtiss to get the job done.Inglesias would look good at the back end of the Twins bullpen. And bringing Kintzler back to the fold would sure make our 8th and 9th innings look strong.

I'd barf all over my keyboard if they gave up Gonsalves, Kiriloff and Rooker for Iglesias.If your gonna give up multiple top 100 prospects like that go after a top of the rotation starter instead, anything else....NOPE

Edited by laloesch, 13 November 2017 - 03:40 PM.

• IaFan1 likes this

#31 OldManWinter

OldManWinter

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

A team should be very cautious about trading the brightest prospects. They are too hard to find and replace.

Teams deal from positions of strength, but too often they are only an injury or a bad year from someone to suddenly have a weakness.

#32 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,405 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:30 PM

Nick Gordon for Iglesias straight up seems fair. I'd make that trade.

id do that deal too. I doubt cincy will
  • Thrylos, bluechipper and nytwinsfan like this

#33 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:57 PM

It would take Gordon plus a good pitcher I would think.
  • nytwinsfan likes this

#34 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

Craig Kimbrel is great, but it’s generally considered that Dave Dombrowski overpaid for him. Iglesias is not as good as Kimbrel, but the compensation being discussed seems at least equivalent to what San Diego got from the Red Sox for Kimbrel. That doesn’t make sense. Also, the Twins should ask themselves whether Romero could become Iglesias in the near future.
  • gunnarthor likes this

#35 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:46 PM

Also, the Twins should ask themselves whether Romero could become Iglesias in the near future.

That's a really good point.

#36 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:55 PM

I could see the Twins trading for him if it is one quality position prospect with couple of low a to rookie league pitching prospects thrown in for hime or like some have been saying trading away dollars on international signing for some other prospect that cin would covet. But if we start talking several of top prospects than i think were way over paying should look else where for help.

#37 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

Interesting idea on Iglesias. I know some want better starting pitching, but I think more and more teams are taking a different approach just because shutdown starting pitching is so tough to come by. KC kind of showed the blueprint two years ago and I think the Yankees are also taking this approach...they look to their starting pitching for 5-6 innings and just don't want to get blown up. After that, they bring in shutdown reliever after shutdown reliever and effectively shorten the game for the other team (basically, they have 5-6 innings to score). They win innings 6-8. I really think you are going to see more and more teams take this approach.

I've been interested in, and a supporter of, unconventional approaches to managing a pitching staff.

For example, with a mountain of data out there demonstrating that pitchers generally get worse the second and third time through the order, why do managers allow pitchers to throw to the same batter twice?

"Bullpen games" all the time make a lot of sense to me. There are obviously exceptions like Kershaw and Kluber that you may be able to statistically justify running out there multiple times. But, outside of that, it seems to me that you'll get more outs (higher out to batters faced ratio) by using pitchers more often with fewer innings in a "start,". But, maybe my logic is all wrong.
  • gocgo likes this

#38 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

No way do I send anything to help the Yankees unless top pitching prospects are involved.

I concur. But, they have what we want: young pitching. And we have what they might need: international singing money. I agree this would be a “ hold your nose” deal, but the Great Satan does have some nice pieces.

#39 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

Craig Kimbrel is great, but it’s generally considered that Dave Dombrowski overpaid for him. Iglesias is not as good as Kimbrel, but the compensation being discussed seems at least equivalent to what San Diego got from the Red Sox for Kimbrel. That doesn’t make sense. Also, the Twins should ask themselves whether Romero could become Iglesias in the near future.

They gave up a defensive CF blocked by an All Star, a potentially good SS, a mediocre 2b and a lotery ticket.Maybe in a few years it will look bad, depends on how long Kimbrell plays for the Sox and if they get a ring.

• USAFChief likes this

#40 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:36 AM

I one thing the Twins have that the Yankees want is (are) international signing dollars for the Great Otani Sweepstakes. I could see $1 or $1.5 million moving. Of course this would mean trading to The Great Satan.

Adama, Sheffield and Acevado for the pool money. Maybe make them throw in Guzman.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brandon kintzler, raisel iglesias