Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins call on Reds closer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#21 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,815 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

I'd probably trade Gordon and say Felix Jorge, Zack Littell and/or Tyler Jay.Not sure that gets it done though.

hope they don't do THAT!

• laloesch and KirbyDome89 like this

#22 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:17 PM

The Strib says they have talked to all the other teams so far. This may be nothing at all.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#23 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:57 PM

As nice as it would be to get a closer who is under team control for a few years the Twins need to address the starting rotation first in my opinion.

I honestly feel the Twins are being used by the Reds to drive up the price. Just think about it, the Twins were a wild card team and a closer might push them closer to being a division leader. The Reds want to be linked to a possible contending team to drive up the price.

#24 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:11 PM

Easy pass if the price is two top 100 prospects like some suggest. I could see doing something like this (at a much lower price) at the middle/end of the offseason if the Twins can acquire a top starter through FA (unlikely) but that is where I focus any trade chips.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#25 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:02 AM

Pretty much any half dozen prospects older than 22 should be the bait for trade.Any of these prospectsthat have reached their peak ranking should be traded while somebody else thinks they are valuable

#26 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:57 AM

It may be nothing, but it is good to see they are focusing on the players they should be.

#27 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:42 AM

They might need to give up two of their top 10 prospects. That doesn’t sound smart but the top 10 isn’t what it used to be.

How would our top 10 rank relative to our system of a few years ago when it was among the best in baseball? I don’t know if too many would have made that top 10. Of course it is difficult to compare because we know the failures (Meyer, Stewart, Pinto) and it would be hard to put those aside. I know that Sickels had Berrios 6 pre 2014. Lewis would make the top 10 but he can’t be traded. Gordon likely be in the 8-10 range among Pinto, Polanco and Kepler.

I think they must be willing to trade from the top 10 to get good pitchers in their prime.

Ok, how is Stewart a failure (and Meyer was pitching in the Majors last year), because I would love a definition of that?? He's only 22, missed a good portion of this last year due to injury, and has progressed a level of the organization every year. How is that a failure?

• NapoleonComplex likes this

#28 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:01 AM

They might need to give up two of their top 10 prospects. That doesn’t sound smart but the top 10 isn’t what it used to be.

How would our top 10 rank relative to our system of a few years ago when it was among the best in baseball? I don’t know if too many would have made that top 10. Of course it is difficult to compare because we know the failures (Meyer, Stewart, Pinto) and it would be hard to put those aside. I know that Sickels had Berrios 6 pre 2014. Lewis would make the top 10 but he can’t be traded. Gordon likely be in the 8-10 range among Pinto, Polanco and Kepler.

I think they must be willing to trade from the top 10 to get good pitchers in their prime.

BA was the low man on the Twins system, I believe Klaw was the high one (having us 11th before the draft). My guess is the system is top 10 now and most write ups this offseason will have us there. The Twins added a lot of talent in the draft and they had a lot of big performances in the low minors from 2016 picks.

As to how it compares, guys like Lewis and Gordon would have been ranked in our top 10 regardless of when. Jason Parks at BP famously wrote that the Twins 11-20 in 2014 would have been better than the Angels 1-10. BP gave the Twins 8 guys in the top 101 both years (Gordon was one of them).Right now, the Twins probably have 4 consensus top 100 guys (Gordon, Lewis, Romero and Gonsalves) with a few others making some lists (Sickels will probably have Rooker in his top 100, Baddoo probably makes Klaw and/or fangraphs list).But the 2014-15 system certainly has the advantages of being both top heavy and deeper. Only Lewis might end up in the Sano, Buxton, Berrios elite rankings. But Gordon is in that second tier where guys like Meyer, Kepler and occasionally Stewart were ranked. Romero and Gonsalves would have made the backend of those top tens instead of the front end.

On the other hand, our 11-30 might be more or less even with the group back then (depending on who is in that group). Right now, guys like Baddoo, Thorpe, Miranda, Rortvedt, Graterol, Littell, Enlow, Marte are outside it. Some will slip into most top 10s as the offseason lists come out but others won't. So the current system has some sneaky good depth. 

• birdwatcher and Vanimal46 like this

#29 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

BA was the low man on the Twins system, I believe Klaw was the high one (having us 11th before the draft). My guess is the system is top 10 now and most write ups this offseason will have us there. The Twins added a lot of talent in the draft and they had a lot of big performances in the low minors from 2016 picks.

As to how it compares, guys like Lewis and Gordon would have been ranked in our top 10 regardless of when. Jason Parks at BP famously wrote that the Twins 11-20 in 2014 would have been better than the Angels 1-10. BP gave the Twins 8 guys in the top 101 both years (Gordon was one of them).Right now, the Twins probably have 4 consensus top 100 guys (Gordon, Lewis, Romero and Gonsalves) with a few others making some lists (Sickels will probably have Rooker in his top 100, Baddoo probably makes Klaw and/or fangraphs list).But the 2014-15 system certainly has the advantages of being both top heavy and deeper. Only Lewis might end up in the Sano, Buxton, Berrios elite rankings. But Gordon is in that second tier where guys like Meyer, Kepler and occasionally Stewart were ranked. Romero and Gonsalves would have made the backend of those top tens instead of the front end.

On the other hand, our 11-30 might be more or less even with the group back then (depending on who is in that group). Right now, guys like Baddoo, Thorpe, Miranda, Rortvedt, Graterol, Littell, Enlow, Marte are outside it. Some will slip into most top 10s as the offseason lists come out but others won't. So the current system has some sneaky good depth. 

The depth in our system isn't lost on the other clubs. Rebuilding clubs are going to be keenly interested in picking up the phone if Falvey calls. I wouldn't necessarily assume the talks with the Reds mean a whole lot.

Edited by birdwatcher, 13 November 2017 - 09:40 AM.

• gunnarthor and Vanimal46 like this

#30 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

I hope the Twins are feeling out almost every young, cost-controlled arm on rebuilding teams but I don't like the idea of offering up a significant chunk of the farm system for a reliever.

A starter? Sure, those are hard to find in free agency. Relievers, less so.

If you overpay for a bum reliever, you're out maybe $25-30m over 3-4 seasons. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Agreed, and this year in particular, relief pitching seems to be a relative strength of a free-agent market that's fairly weak otherwise. 

#31 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

If you want some laughs and a little perspective, look at Morosi’s Twitter feed to see what Reds fans think they should get from the Twins for Iglesias.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#32 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,542 posts
  • LocationA small town city

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:26 AM

If you want some laughs and a little perspective, look at Morosi’s Twitter feed to see what Reds fans think they should get from the Twins for Iglesias.

They want Buxton, Romero, Stewart, and Javier. I think that would get us Joey Votto.

• 70charger and nytwinsfan like this

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

#33 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

They want Buxton, Romero, Stewart, and Javier. I think that would get us Joey Votto.

I'd give them Stewart for Iglesias.

#34 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

Ok, how is Stewart a failure (and Meyer was pitching in the Majors last year), because I would love a definition of that?? He's only 22, missed a good portion of this last year due to injury, and has progressed a level of the organization every year. How is that a failure?

Because none of us can think of any pitchers that had Stewart's k and bb numbers in the minors, and went on to become a good starting pitcher. Perhaps he can be salvaged as a middle reliever for a few years, Matt Guerreir like.

#35 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,129 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

I'm redirecting the comments on this topic to the article posted:

http://twinsdaily.co...aisel-iglesias/