Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins call on Reds closer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

Saw it on Morosi's Twitter earlier. Some reason my phone won't let me post the link.
  • glunn, Cory Engelhardt and Oldgoat_MN like this

#2 Cory Engelhardt

Cory Engelhardt

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN
  • Twitter: enge0280

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

Saw it on Morosi's Twitter earlier. Some reason my phone won't let me post the link.

I saw this too. He would not be cheap but would be a great addition to the pitching staff. What would he cost?

#3 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

Raisel Iglesias

#4 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:17 PM

I'm not sure. Start with a SS prospect and go from there.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,787 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

His deal is pretty interesting.Signed thought 2020 for $4.5, 5, and 5M, but he can opt for arbitration and potentially cost more.Will be 28 soon.

He was once a starter, did decently, and has 3 pitches.Wonder whether the Twins are looking at him as a starter.Cinci will be looking for long term assets, so this might be a good match

• glunn likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,221 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:03 PM

Sounds like the Reds want a big return for him - https://www.mlbtrade...l-iglesias.html.

Probably want a couple top 100 prospects back, I'd imagine. 

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

I'm interested but I'd rather attempt to blow the Rays away for Chris Archer first before using all the assets on a reliever.
  • notoriousgod71 likes this

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,263 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:12 PM

Morosi's tweet said that the Twins are doing "due diligence" on Raisel Iglesius... 

My guess is they are doing 'due diligence' on a ton of free agents and a bunch of players who could be acquired in trades... 

• glunn, Cory Engelhardt, benchwarmerjim and 4 others like this

#9 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

I'd probably trade Gordon and say Felix Jorge, Zack Littell and/or Tyler Jay.Not sure that gets it done though.

#10 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:27 PM

I'd probably trade Gordon and say Felix Jorge, Zack Littell and/or Tyler Jay. Not sure that gets it done though.

No way I give up that much for a relief pitcher. They are way to fickle year to year, and give you less than 80 IP per season.
  • Twins33, Cory Engelhardt, Major Leauge Ready and 2 others like this

#11 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

I'd be ok with Gordon and Jorge, and filler. No way I trade Jay even with his injuries

#12 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:49 PM

They might need to give up two of their top 10 prospects. That doesn’t sound smart but the top 10 isn’t what it used to be.

How would our top 10 rank relative to our system of a few years ago when it was among the best in baseball? I don’t know if too many would have made that top 10. Of course it is difficult to compare because we know the failures (Meyer, Stewart, Pinto) and it would be hard to put those aside. I know that Sickels had Berrios 6 pre 2014. Lewis would make the top 10 but he can’t be traded. Gordon likely be in the 8-10 range among Pinto, Polanco and Kepler.

I think they must be willing to trade from the top 10 to get good pitchers in their prime.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#13 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:02 PM

BA has the Twins farm system #19. Trading two top 100 guys would drop them into the mid 20's probably. I would think spending money on free agenets is a better way to go.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#14 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

I've been assuming the twins would call and wondering if in their conversations Homer Bailey might come up as a way to lower the prospect cost...

#15 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:35 PM

No way I give up that much for a relief pitcher. They are way to fickle year to year, and give you less than 80 IP per season.

fine, but you aren't going to get him for less than that.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#16 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:38 PM

BA has the Twins farm system #19. Trading two top 100 guys would drop them into the mid 20's probably. I would think spending money on free agenets is a better way to go.

I am not sure I care any longer where the system ranks.
  • Thrylos and Oldgoat_MN like this

#17 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:52 PM

fine, but you aren't going to get him for less than that.

I'm okay with that.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco and jimmer like this

#18 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:24 PM

They might need to give up two of their top 10 prospects. That doesn’t sound smart but the top 10 isn’t what it used to be.
How would our top 10 rank relative to our system of a few years ago when it was among the best in baseball? I don’t know if too many would have made that top 10. Of course it is difficult to compare because we know the failures (Meyer, Stewart, Pinto) and it would be hard to put those aside. I know that Sickels had Berrios 6 pre 2014. Lewis would make the top 10 but he can’t be traded. Gordon likely be in the 8-10 range among Pinto, Polanco and Kepler.
I think they must be willing to trade from the top 10 to get good pitchers in their prime.

Just FYI Lewis can be traded. Ruled changed in 2015 (may have gone into effect in 2016). A player drafted can be traded after the World Series is over. They can't be traded before then, even as a PTBNL.

Here's a link for it: https://www.mlbtrade...rld-series.html

Edited by Twins33, 12 November 2017 - 09:25 PM.

• SDTwinsFan, Oldgoat_MN and nytwinsfan like this

#19 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:41 PM

Didn’t know about Lewis. Thanks. Very reluctant to trade him. He would have to be part of a deal that returned a starting pitcher.
  • Twins33 and Oldgoat_MN like this

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:53 PM

I hope the Twins are feeling out almost every young, cost-controlled arm on rebuilding teams but I don't like the idea of offering up a significant chunk of the farm system for a reliever.

A starter? Sure, those are hard to find in free agency. Relievers, less so.

If you overpay for a bum reliever, you're out maybe $25-30m over 3-4 seasons. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

• Twins33, Danchat, Deduno Abides and 1 other like this