Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

How do you build the 2018 Twins? What formula works for you?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

In free agency, I don't play the middle ground. I go hard at Otani and Darvish or I go for reclamation starters and good relievers. I believe the right pickup in the rotation and a couple of good relievers drastically change the outlook of this team in 2018.

I leave the offense alone. Your power RH bat is Sano or this team struggles. Like Buxton, the young players carry the day.

If trades are available, I explore my options but I don't loot the farm for a two year guy. I don't think the Twins' window is 2018. Maybe 2019 is the first time they go deep in the postseason but I think 2019-2021 is the real window. Looting the farm today for a guy who only gets you to 2019 isn't my first choice.

Agree with this.

I get the best starter possible without getting unreasonable. I don't expect a Darvish or Otani, but I think a rotation of Santana, Berrios, Gibson, Cobb, Mejia to open the year could be respectable.

The bullpen has to be remade. I bring in two guys, at minimum.

Offensively doesn't need much. Maybe a bench that can crush lefties. Even as they currently are they should be a top 5 AL offense. Really intriguing to think about Polanco, Buxton, and Rosario picking up where they left off, Sano getting/staying healthy, and Kepler taking a step. The potential is there to score the most runs in the league.

#22 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:52 PM

Interestingly enough, I finished the second part of my blueprint with a trade based on Dozier and Santana (and a few more pieces) that lands the Twins a legitimate Ace.

Here.

If I'm the Mets, I don't say a word and hang up the phone.

#23 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:43 PM

If I'm the Mets, I don't say a word and hang up the phone.

I would probably put the phone on mute and chuckle a little.
  • Twins33 and adorduan like this
Papers...business papers.

#24 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:56 AM

The Twins have one star player in Dozier, 2 budding stars in Buxton and Sano.Rosario, Kepler and Polanco represent the future. The last 5 have to step up their games significantly otherwise it really does not matter what you do with the rotation, the team will fall short. Management thinking these players can get close to 4 WAR should trade for a talent,sign a talent. and steal a talent.Management thinksBuxton won't hit, Sano will not stay healthy, the other players will not developthen the plan should be find all the high upside arm you can, free agents will waste Pohlad money, trading for controlable arms is also a positive.