Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

What can Minnesota offer Shohei Otani?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#141 tvagle

tvagle

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:03 PM

All this talk about evidence....

Edited by tvagle, 22 November 2017 - 08:05 PM.

• ashburyjohn and Mike Sixel like this

Do Anything Realistic Via Incremental Salary Hikes!

#142 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:38 PM

This explanation that they didn't spend money last year because they needed to assess the team is odd. They needed to see the worst pitching in the majors to know something should change?

I get your point, and I don't think it's wrong. That said, I think a better explanation is probably that there was no reason to spend big coming off such a terrible season, as a few others have alluded to. Alternatively, maybe they saw some untapped upside on the roster that didn't pan out as hoped (some MiLB relievers, Gibson, etc.).

• Platoon likes this

#143 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,053 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:18 PM

There is zero evidence they are more likely to spend money.

There's no less evidence showing they will spend then there is that they won't spend.

Regardless Ohtani isn't about spending money, all 30 clubs could afford him. Additionally, even if the Twins did the unthinkable and inked Darvish the team still would only be approaching their record budget in 2010 (2011?). With league wide inflation they'd still be below expectations. It's not about having money, it's about having guts.

And there's no less evidence showing they do have guts than there is that they don't have guts.
  • Kevin and kab21 like this

#144 Aichiman

Aichiman

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:33 AM

You don't have to sign Darvish and burn all those millions.Just sign Ichiro as a 4th outfielder and let Ohtani pitch and DH.Tell him he's got two years to acclimate to the big leagues in friendly, low pressure Minnesota, and then he can go to Broadway and hit the big time.That's my plan.Will it work?Probably not, but it's worth a shot.

#145 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

That’s really unfair. Reports had it the Twins won Garcia at all because they were willing to take on that money in the first place.

1. Define "win"

2. Does this mean the Yankees were the ultimate winners? :)

/snark
  • Mike Sixel and Platoon like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#146 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,967 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:43 AM

1. yes, and no.

2. only year he signs. It's the bonus money.

3. This is what they're not allowing to happen under the international rules. He's subject to the same rules as every other international player. Can't sign an MLB deal like you outline.

Today's Trib had this article:

http://www.startribu...wers/459955783/

So if he can't sign a MLB deal til after 2019, he would play MLB baseball for the minimum, on a MiLB contract? And the pool money is his maximum signing bonus? (Scratching head furiously). Btw, I cannot imagine Nishiokia (sp) experience in MN will go on the plus side of the ledger. :(
TwinsWorld. Where "Total System Failure" is not just another catchy slogan!

#147 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

Hopefully MN can offer the best book report of all 30 teams
  • nicksaviking and PseudoSABR like this

#148 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

Whatever HE wants!
Anything HE wants!!
Everything HE wants!!!
Everything Else HE wants!!!!

#149 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

Hopefully MN can offer the best book report of all 30 teams

Maybe we could pool the collective genius of TD and write the winner.I could do the proofreading.

• Carole Keller likes this

#150 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 18,491 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

I actually think this is a really smart thing on Ohtani's part. He's making it clear 'It's not about the money.' Well, it really can't be about the money for a few years anyway, so this is interesting. I'd be interested to read all of the letters. And I hope the Twins have a really good Japanese translator.

• PseudoSABR likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#151 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,654 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

What kind of Japanese culture and population does the Twin Cities have? Just a guess but probably very small not like on the coasts anyway.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#152 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:03 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Levine - “I’ve been in contact with Darvish along the way and we’re having active convos with His agent. He’s also a priority for us “ <a href="https://twitter.com/...f_src=twsrc^tfw">@MLBNetworkRadio</a></p>&mdash; Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jim_Duquette/status/934818685805584389?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 26, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twi....com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offer him a chance to play with his friend

OK Maybe I don't know how to embed twitter comments here.

Edited by RaymondLuxuryYacht, 26 November 2017 - 11:04 AM.

#153 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 18,491 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

Was this the tweet?

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#154 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

Was this the tweet?

This was the text :

“I’ve been in contact with Darvish along the way and we’re having active convos with His agent. He’s also a priority for us “

#155 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Levine - “I’ve been in contact with Darvish along the way and we’re having active convos with His agent. He’s also a priority for us “ <a href="https://twitter.com/...f_src=twsrc^tfw">@MLBNetworkRadio</a></p>&mdash; Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jim_Duquette/status/934818685805584389?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 26, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twi....com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offer him a chance to play with his friend

OK Maybe I don't know how to embed twitter comments here.

#156 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

Is "convo" a word for "conversation" for those who are too busy and important to spell out complete words?Why isn't it "conver"?Isn't that convoluted?

• ashburyjohn and Platoon like this

#157 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

Is "convo" a word for "conversation" for those who are too busy and important to spell out complete words? Why isn't it "conver"? Isn't that convoluted?

Either that or Twitter has a max number of characters.

• RaymondLuxuryYacht likes this

#158 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

What kind of Japanese culture and population does the Twin Cities have? Just a guess but probably very small not like on the coasts anyway.

MSP has a direct flight to Tokyo. So that's something!

#159 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

Today's Trib had this article:

http://www.startribu...wers/459955783/

So if he can't sign a MLB deal til after 2019, he would play MLB baseball for the minimum, on a MiLB contract? And the pool money is his maximum signing bonus? (Scratching head furiously). Btw, I cannot imagine Nishiokia (sp) experience in MN will go on the plus side of the ledger. :(

He'll make the MLB league minimum just like any other rookie coming up through a system.

Yes, pool money is the max bonus he can receive. 

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)