Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

What can Minnesota offer Shohei Otani?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#81 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,078 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:02 AM

I wonder if an offer of an exactly 2 year contract might be inticing.

They cannot do this (CBA and MLB will not allow it). He is under 25, so it's a standard MLB contract.

#82 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:33 AM

Can we pay him extra to perform assistant pitching coach duties?

Can his dad be the translator for $10M per season?
  • glunn likes this

#83 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

I don't have the link to the full interview, but sounds like the Twins are willing to let him both pitch and hit.

Interesting.

#84 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:43 PM

• PseudoSABR, nytwinsfan, tvagle and 1 other like this

#85 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:46 PM

Let's make one seemingly safe admission; unless someone has an idea how to skirt the proposed financial parameters, as laid out, money...initially at least...is not a factor. The top 3 clubs can offer virtually the exact same dollars.

It then comes down to a couple of factors:

1] Does he, and his representation, truly not care, or want, to play in one of the largest markets? Financially, were he to do so, additional income could come via promotional deals the Twins simply couldn't match.

2] Where is his best opportunity to succeed, and do what he wants, which is being a 2 way player. Awfully tough to be a 2 way player in the NL, unless he's truly good in the field somewhere. The Twins don't have a full time DH, affording him the opportunity to show he can...or cant...be a viable ML hitter.

The Twins are also a viable post season team, playing in one of the best parks in the league, filled with impressive young talent pretty much his same age.

Accepting the financial parameters as being equal, if point #1 is remotely accurate, I'd think the Twins would have an excellent shot at signing him.
  • glunn, tvagle, caninatl04 and 1 other like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#86 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:50 PM

What?!?!?!?!
  • diehardtwinsfan, SwainZag and laloesch like this

#87 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,078 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:16 AM

me thinks they will make a run at these two...

#88 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

What?!?!?!?!

Wow!Christmas coming early folks? :jump:

#89 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:18 AM

I hope so.

#90 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

Man, it sure feels like there's something in the air surrounding the Twins these days. So many little clues appear to be pointing towards some excitement. Let's hope it's not all for naught. 

• caninatl04 likes this

#91 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:38 AM

I would be perfectly happy if that is all they add too! We do need bullpen guys but I'd sacrifice that to get Darvish and Otani

#92 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

Does anyone have any insight on when we'll start hearing about Otani? Are they in the phase right now where teams are making pitches to him?

#93 FunnyPenguin

FunnyPenguin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationRedwood Falls MN

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:22 AM

Does anyone have any insight on when we'll start hearing about Otani? Are they in the phase right now where teams are making pitches to him?

Nice...pun of the day in here!

• GP830 likes this

#94 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

Nice...pun of the day in here!

The tricky things with Otani is that they not only have to pitch to him but also take hacks at signing him.

• ashburyjohn, bizaff, FunnyPenguin and 1 other like this

#95 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

"What can Minnesota offer Shohei Otani?"

Nearly everything he is looking for. A job playing baseball and cash. He can take care of the friend base and spouse himself.

#96 Jacksson

Jacksson

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

PLENTY of Endorsement opportunities right here in Minnesota. IF he wants to be, he can certainly be the BMOC here. Endorsements possible from the likes of: Mall of America, 3M, Best Buy, Target, Land O Lakes, Fastenall, Hormel, Carlson Companies, Deluxe (Check), Eco Lab, Dairy Queen, Polaris, Artic Cat, Mystic Lake, Valleyfair, Minnesota State Fair, University of Minnesota, Schwans, Red Wing Shoes, Buffalo Wild Wings, Cargill, Cub Foods, Super Valu, Caribou Coffee, Edina Realty, Donaldson Company, Department 56, Fairview Health, Famous Daves, General Mills, Graco, Green Giant, Great Clips, Health East, Health Partners, Hazelden, Holiday Stores, Jostens, Lifetime Fitness, Lifetouch, Lawson Software, Mayo Clinic, Malt O Meal (MOM), Medtronic, My Pillow, Pearson Candy, Abdellah Candy, Stauer, Super America, Sun Country Airlines, Taylor Companies, TCF, Thomson Reuters, Thrivent, Travelers, Toro, Valspar, Watkins, and on and on. He can be as BIG in Minnesota (and the Upper Midwest) as he wants to be.
  • glunn and GP830 like this

#97 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

The posting system expired at the end of the season.MLB, MLBPA, and the Japanese league are still negotiating the details of the posting system.

https://www.mlbtrade...weeks-away.html

• GP830 and caninatl04 like this

#98 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

The posting system expired at the end of the season.MLB, MLBPA, and the Japanese league are still negotiating the details of the posting system.

https://www.mlbtrade...weeks-away.html

FYI for those who don't click the link, there's now a Monday deadline on this negotiation. Updated this morning. They may not stick with that deadline though.

#99 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

PLENTY of Endorsement opportunities right here in Minnesota. IF he wants to be, he can certainly be the BMOC here. Endorsements possible from the likes of: Mall of America, 3M, Best Buy, Target, Land O Lakes, Fastenall, Hormel, Carlson Companies, Deluxe (Check), Eco Lab, Dairy Queen, Polaris, Artic Cat, Mystic Lake, Valleyfair, Minnesota State Fair, University of Minnesota, Schwans, Red Wing Shoes, Buffalo Wild Wings, Cargill, Cub Foods, Super Valu, Caribou Coffee, Edina Realty, Donaldson Company, Department 56, Fairview Health, Famous Daves, General Mills, Graco, Green Giant, Great Clips, Health East, Health Partners, Hazelden, Holiday Stores, Jostens, Lifetime Fitness, Lifetouch, Lawson Software, Mayo Clinic, Malt O Meal (MOM), Medtronic, My Pillow, Pearson Candy, Abdellah Candy, Stauer, Super America, Sun Country Airlines, Taylor Companies, TCF, Thomson Reuters, Thrivent, Travelers, Toro, Valspar, Watkins, and on and on. He can be as BIG in Minnesota (and the Upper Midwest) as he wants to be.

Sure, but there are even more opportunities in MY or LA, that's just reality. Hopefully that's not his top priority.

#100 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,973 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:50 PM

Endorsements simply aren’t a big deal in baseball. It shouldn’t be a large factor in his decision.