Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

What can Minnesota offer Shohei Otani?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#21 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

The pool money is not the issue for the Twins it's the 20 mill they have to pay the team he plays for in Japan. The Yankees can afford that, the Twins won't pay that, imo.

I've read that the Yankees might trade Betances, my idea is to trade some of the int. pool money to the Yankees for Betances. Might be a bad idea but I'm full of bad ideas.

Considering the Twins have recently spent more than twice that for free agent pitchers, the $20mil is not going to be the problem.

I do like the Betances idea.
Papers...business papers.

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,494 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

I'd rather not send Otani to NY if he is the talent everyone seems to think... forgot though about the Yankees losing IFA dollars. Wonder if that was included in the 3M number they could supposedly offer.

#23 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

I'd rather not send Otani to NY if he is the talent everyone seems to think... forgot though about the Yankees losing IFA dollars. Wonder if that was included in the 3M number they could supposedly offer.

depends if you can come to agreement with his current team and posting fees and all that. I agree it would be best to go get Otani as the best young talent available. However if you can’t get that deal done with his current team, might as well benefit from the situation somehow. Betances would be a very good consolation prize

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,000 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:42 AM

Interesting idea on trading the international money if they can't sign him.

A lifetime fishing license and a private lake would be nice.

How about offering him the chance to be the next gopher's football coach.... He could further expand his reputation for being multi talented
  • Riverbrian, snepp and tvagle like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#25 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

Three things I don’t understand:

1. Is the international pool number for each team just their number for this year? Won’t most teams start from the same number next year?
2. Will Otani count against a team’s international pool number only in the year he signs or for every year of his contract?
3. Will Otani’s agent want the right to enter free agency soon after Otani turns 25, when he supposedly can make a lot more money? If that’s the case, they probably want a two-year deal with no option years right now.

#26 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationJust say no to Rob Antony

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:18 PM

Lutefisk maki

Lutefisk and spam sushi roll. The "Minnesota roll" 

Edit: Has to be served on a stick.

Edited by d-mac, 10 November 2017 - 12:19 PM.

4-27-2016: El dia de La Maquina

#27 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

Let's annex South Dakota and put Otani's face on Mount Rushmore. 

Or at the least, make him a huge corn mural at the Corn Palace.Maybe he has a deep-down desire to be a corn star...

• Carole Keller, glunn, Mike Sixel and 7 others like this

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,000 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

Or at the least, make him a huge corn mural at the Corn Palace. Maybe he has a deep-down desire to be a corn star...

Nicely played
  • Puckett34, Riverbrian and snepp like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#29 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

Maybe he has a deep-down desire to be a corn star...

Sorry, corny joke.

• Riverbrian, snepp, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#30 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

Three things I don’t understand:

1. Is the international pool number for each team just their number for this year? Won’t most teams start from the same number next year?
2. Will Otani count against a team’s international pool number only in the year he signs or for every year of his contract?
3. Will Otani’s agent want the right to enter free agency soon after Otani turns 25, when he supposedly can make a lot more money? If that’s the case, they probably want a two-year deal with no option years right now.

1. yes, and no.

2. only year he signs. It's the bonus money.

3. This is what they're not allowing to happen under the international rules. He's subject to the same rules as every other international player. Can't sign an MLB deal like you outline.

• Riverbrian likes this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#31 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,542 posts
  • LocationA small town city

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

a private lake would be nice.

All lakes in Minnesota are public property, but I suppose he could be offered shoreline.

• Riverbrian likes this

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

#32 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:56 PM

1. yes, and no.

2. only year he signs. It's the bonus money.

3. This is what they're not allowing to happen under the international rules. He's subject to the same rules as every other international player. Can't sign an MLB deal like you outline.

If the international pool money is only a limit on his first year money, why are teams limited as to what the can pay him in years 2+?

Also, didn’t Cespedes and perhaps one or two other established Cuban players sign contracts allowing them early free agency? Is that not permitted now?

#33 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

If I understand it the initial money is signing bonus. The money the three highest pool teams have is around ($3.5m) what a mid teens draft pick would get. He then gets treated like any other first year player. He'd make ML minimum until he has playing time to gain arbitration and then after 6 years(?) he hits free agency.

They changed it a few years back and I don't think you have a bidding war with his current team they now just get a $20m fee for his rights after he finds a team.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#34 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,273 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:40 PM

Or at the least, make him a huge corn mural at the Corn Palace.Maybe he has a deep-down desire to be a corn star...

This one really made me laugh ...

But this one made me want to vomit a little ...

Lutefisk and spam sushi roll. The "Minnesota roll" 

Edit: Has to be served on a stick.

• Oldgoat_MN, d-mac and MN_ExPat like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#35 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

The pool money is not the issue for the Twins it's the 20 mill they have to pay the team he plays for in Japan. The Yankees can afford that, the Twins won't pay that, imo.

I've read that the Yankees might trade Betances, my idea is to trade some of the int. pool money to the Yankees for Betances. Might be a bad idea but I'm full of bad ideas.

Why wouldn't they? $23 million for a young, controllable pitcher who is also a potential middle of the order bat? Are you kidding?

Don't think for a minute the Twins won't spend. That is SUCH a misnomer. They gave Joe Mauer $23 million a year. They quickly signed Jason Castro last year. They signed Phil Hughes, Ricky Nolasco and Ervin Santana when they felt they needed starting pitching.

$20 million is hardly a deal breaker. If $20 million keeps the Twins from signing a potentially generational talent, then the front office should quit and the Pohlads should sell the team. Preferably very cheaply, to me.

I'm not saying Otani is. But $20 million should not be a barrier to signing a player like that. 

• adorduan likes this

#36 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,874 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

Why wouldn't they? $23 million for a young, controllable pitcher who is also a potential middle of the order bat? Are you kidding?

Don't think for a minute the Twins won't spend. That is SUCH a misnomer. They gave Joe Mauer $23 million a year. They quickly signed Jason Castro last year. They signed Phil Hughes, Ricky Nolasco and Ervin Santana when they felt they needed starting pitching.

$20 million is hardly a deal breaker. If $20 million keeps the Twins from signing a potentially generational talent, then the front office should quit and the Pohlads should sell the team. Preferably very cheaply, to me.

I'm not saying Otani is. But $20 million should not be a barrier to signing a player like that. 

My opinion right or wrong. I just don't think, in this case, they will spend it. I will be happy to be wrong.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#37 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

Didn't the Twins pay 12.5 million or something like that to win the Park sweepstakes on top of the contract they gave him?I would really hope they would pony up and pay the 20 million.

#38 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

My opinion right or wrong. I just don't think, in this case, they will spend it. I will be happy to be wrong.

This is taking a valid complaint/concern (that the Twins don't spend enough) to an unserious extreme. Every team will be willing to spend $20mm to acquire him. This won't be the barrier to the Twins getting him.
  • PseudoSABR likes this
Papers...business papers.

#39 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

If I understand it the initial money is signing bonus. The money the three highest pool teams have is around ($3.5m) what a mid teens draft pick would get. He then gets treated like any other first year player. He'd make ML minimum until he has playing time to gain arbitration and then after 6 years(?) he hits free agency.

They changed it a few years back and I don't think you have a bidding war with his current team they now just get a $20m fee for his rights after he finds a team.

Why can’t the Yankees or someone else offer Ohtani approximately $3M for the first year and $100M for the next four?

Edited by Deduno Abides, 10 November 2017 - 04:57 PM.

#40 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:28 PM

I refuse to try and make a serious offer.... joking is so much more fun.

The twins could offer instant golden throne on the twins territory caravan during January. Brad Pitt in snatch would be impressed....
  • Carole Keller and Mike Sixel like this
Do or do not. There is no try.