Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Qualifying Offer Free Agents

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:53 PM

Some of the SP FA candidates mentioned here have received qualifying offers.

I don't fully understand the implications to the Twins of signing one of these, as the draft pick(s) lost depend on the financial situations of both the Twins and the FA's previous team and the allocation of competitive balance picks, (see: http://m.mlb.com/glo...ualifying-offer). But, my guess is that the Twins would lose their 2nd round pick.

On the one hand-- the roughly 60th best prospect is valuable. But on the other, as Seth's review of the top prospects is revealing, the Twins seem to have a lot of prospects that would rank right around where that pick would end up.

So, how much might that factor into the decision?

#2 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:47 PM

I have also seen information guessing it would be the third round draft pick lost.Twins pick in the second round will probably be in the 50's to low 60's.Do not let this stand in the way.

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,109 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

Would you trade your second round pick for a MLB starter you believe in? I would, in a second.
  • Twins33, tarheeltwinsfan, GP830 and 1 other like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:30 PM

You think about it a little if you’re picking at the top of the round (which not only is a higher pick but means your team was awful). An 85 win team should not care much if they want the player in question.
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#5 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

I would not want to mortgage a pick for a middle of the order guy who won't be better then what we have.

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,761 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

I would not want to mortgage a pick for a middle of the order guy who won't be better then what we have.

If he's really middle-of-the-order then he's almost by definition better than someone we've got. Very few teams can post a batting lineup of nine such guys.

Ditto middle-of-the-rotation if that's what you really meant (although that termology is admittedly weaker than for batters). Our senses have been dulled by the parade of really bad starting pitching that's been run out there. Middle of the rotation is actually pretty good.

And finally, if the guy who is made expendable is so good that you are questioning bringing in the new guy, you can trade such a guy for more than the 60th pick of an amateurs draft. Because if you don't want to replace him, some other team will value him too.

We are not yet so rich in talent that talent-acquisition of any and all forms should be abandoned.

• Mike Sixel and SF Twins Fan like this

If the first person on the phone can't answer your question, it's a bureaucracy.

#7 Clear Lake Twinsfan

Clear Lake Twinsfan

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationClear Lake, Iowa

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

Some of the SP FA candidates mentioned here have received qualifying offers.

I don't fully understand the implications to the Twins of signing one of these, as the draft pick(s) lost depend on the financial situations of both the Twins and the FA's previous team and the allocation of competitive balance picks, (see: http://m.mlb.com/glo...ualifying-offer). But, my guess is that the Twins would lose their 2nd round pick.

On the one hand-- the roughly 60th best prospect is valuable. But on the other, as Seth's review of the top prospects is revealing, the Twins seem to have a lot of prospects that would rank right around where that pick would end up.

So, how much might that factor into the decision?

Do the Twins receive revenue sharing?My reading of this is that if they do, they would lose their 3rd highest pick.If not, they would lose their second highest pick.In 2018, that is probably a difference of about 15 picks as I believe that they have a Competitive Balance Round B pick (at the end of the second round) next year.In the years in which they receive a Competitive Balance Round A pick (at the end of the first round) the loss oftheir second highest pick would be a bigger deal (think Brent Rooker type of draft pick).

In the current draft structure with assigned slot values to every pick, the loss of the draft pick also affects the total pool available to the team to sign their top ten draft picks.Having a smaller pool could make it more difficult to draft and sign guys for over-slot money.That being said, when you are a playoff team looking to get to the World Series I think that you give up the draft pick when you believe that the free agent that you are signing is the missing piece that will get you there.  

#8 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,790 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

“Middle of the order guy” would be a massive improvement for 60% of our 2017 rotation.

I’d give up the draft pick in a heartbeat.
  • snepp, big dog, laloesch and 1 other like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#9 tvagle

tvagle

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

After reading this from mlb.com I'm convinced Falvey won't be able to resist the Spin It to Win It ability of Tyler Chatwood 

• Brock Beauchamp and SF Twins Fan like this

Do Anything Realistic Via Incremental Salary Hikes!

#10 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:03 PM

I normally would, though weren't Perkins and Berries supplemental round picks? If it's a deep draft the decision gets harder. But, really, go for it in most cases.