Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Two Veteran Free Agents The Twins Could Target

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

I'm also on the side of letting Kepler take his hacks against lefties, at least through the ASB, and reevaluate a possible upgrade at that point.
His upside is tremendous, IMO, and he won't improve against lefties without reps.
I do understand not wanting to sacrifice results now for progression, but I think it will payoff down the road.

#122 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

I posted this in the wrong trail a couple of weeks back. I think the lack of good free agent pitching is the only reason to look at Lackey, and even then we should only glance and then turn away quickly.He's unlikely to be even a short term answer as a 39 year old pitcher coming off a mediocre season in the NL whose last years in the AL weren't very pretty. His rep when he was here in LA was as a fiery, difficult guy who was liked in the clubhouse but not really a leader so I would look at talent and production only, not whether he's a good teammate. Werth looks cooked and I would much rather have Howie Kendrick, Melky Cabrera or even Daniel Nava as a 4th OF/ RH DH veteran guy.

I would seriously look at Kendrick. He can still hit at age 34, plays an average to slightly below average corner OF, and can play a little 2B, 3B and probably can play 1B given his abilities (I don't know that he's ever played 1B).He's supposedly a good teammate and has played on successful teams in the past. The negative is that he's probably going to command 8-12m for the season and may want more than one year. I think that's doable given his production, and our need for a DH will give him at least 400-500 ABs for the season since he could slot in as the regular DH and play 1-2 days a week in the field. Also, he can play in the field for 2-3 weeks if someone gets hurt. Basically, he'd be a replacement for Grossman who would be an upgrade at the plate and not a downgrade in the field.

#123 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

Don't worry the Twins will do what they always do.Talk the good talk and then sign Lackey and or Colon for another season and walk away calling the offseason successful, LOL.You wait.

#124 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

How did Santana do in our most important game of the year? The playoff game?
SSS, of course...but that's sort of the point. Santana is a very solid pitcher, but lacks the "stuff" to really shut down the elite teams, and those are the teams you need to beat in the playoffs.

You can't expect to go far in the playoffs with Santana as your staff "ace" pitching 3 games out of 7.

And yet when his slider is working he can beat anybody and pitch a complete game