Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Buxton, Dozier Win Their First Gold Glove Awards

byron buxton brian dozier joe mauer
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 JLease

JLease

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

I wouldn't have given it to Dozier, but at least he's not an awful choice. He did have a very good season out there: made very few mistakes, made a lot of spectacular plays. I don't know there was a slam dunk choice like Buxton was for CF in the AL at 2B this year, so Dozier caught a bit of a break.

Buxton was an easy choice. Gosh, he's fabulous to watch. And frankly, he could be better next year. A little more experience at judging balls in MLB parks, a little more work on his routes, a little better recognition on balls off the bat...and hopefully no early season drought at the plate to distract him, either! Seriously: we may not have seen Peak Buxton in the field yet!

I'm still disappointed that Mauer didn't win the GG, and leaving him off the finalist list was a crime. Hosmer won on reputation and that's a shame. He's a fine player, but his D wasn't there this season and it felt like the bad old days where 1Bs were winning based on their bat not their glove.

• 70charger, Monkeypaws, jimmer and 1 other like this

#42 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

Ian Kinsler was the clear leader in SDI, DRS and UZR while being 2nd in RZR to Altuve.

Still happy for Dozier that he got it.

#43 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:51 AM

1. Because Dozier didn't deserve this particular award. That's not a knock on Brian, as he had an excellent season.

2. A guy who at least deserved consideration, Mauer, didn't even make the finalist cut.

I'm glad for Brian but I wish this award was based more on defensive merit and not reputation and/or offense.

No need to apologize for getting on a moral high horse. Your post doesnt put you on a moral high horse at all.

People have a right to discuss whether or not players are deserving on an award. NO ONE SEEMS TO BE UPSET Dozier won (and there of tons of congratulations). Some are just wondering if he was the best choice, and I dont know wondering that means that peole want him gone for new shiny propsects.

Some fans are putting their fandom aside and asking if he was deserving in the same way some people are wondering why Hosmer even warrants a top 3 spot much less winning the thing.

Its a baseball discussion about the merits of an award.

Gentleman, I must agree that you are both probably **cough** correct **cough**.:)  

Are there 2B who are better/more athletic/greater range, etc. with the glove than Brian? Yes, that I will never argue.

In short, thank you for accepting my rant (most likely with a Spock eyebrow arch and a "Who let the village idiot out again??").

• snepp, Monkeypaws, tarheeltwinsfan and 1 other like this

#44 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,967 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

Gentleman, I must agree that you are both probably **cough** correct **cough**.:)  

Are there 2B who are better/more athletic/greater range, etc. with the glove than Brian? Yes, that I will never argue.

In short, thank you for accepting my rant (most likely with a Spock eyebrow arch and a "Who let the village idiot out again??").

Like Spock, the posters you copied in your response do not have the ability to allow human emotions to enter into any equation! They operate on a cold, analytical, soulless, and pragmatic platform! :) :) Live Long and Prosper!
  • gunnarthor, snepp, Monkeypaws and 2 others like this
TwinsWorld. Where "Total System Failure" is not just another catchy slogan!

#45 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

Like Spock, the posters you copied in your response do not have the ability to allow human emotions to enter into any equation! They operate on a cold, analytical, soulless, and pragmatic platform! :) :) Live Long and Prosper!

Nicely played.... As for me, I more choose to use my emotion on things I actually care about.... Sports has become more about analysis and examination for me, and less about attachment, especially individuals.
  • Monkeypaws, Platoon, jimmer and 1 other like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#46 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,967 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

Nicely played.... As for me, I more choose to use my emotion on things I actually care about.... Sports has become more about analysis and examination for me, and less about attachment, especially individuals.

Your point is well made, and sad. I understand the use of, and somewhat obvious benefits of analytics. But that does not make the game more interesting. To me it makes it almost sterile! :(
  • Mike Sixel likes this
TwinsWorld. Where "Total System Failure" is not just another catchy slogan!

#47 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

Your point is well made, and sad. I understand the use of, and somewhat obvious benefits of analytics. But that does not make the game more interesting. To me it makes it almost sterile! :(

I have no problem with being able to love the game of baseball (and the Twins) passionately while also being able study and/or analyze the game. My love of the game isnt tied into enjoying the game the same way as I did as a kid.

Just because I dont think Dozier deserved the award, doesnt mean I cant love the fact he won as a Twins fan.
  • Platoon likes this

#48 Broker

Broker

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minn.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

I don't watch analytics. I watch the games.

#49 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:03 PM

Buxton won the award from Wilson as well.

• spinowner likes this

#50 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

Once again, the GG award is all over the place. Another award in baseball for which the criteria is on a "need to know" basis, and a true mystery.

#51 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

Buxton won the award from Wilson as well.

Buxton was awesome and deserving,but he didnt lead all MLB OF in DRS. Betts did.

#52 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

All your glove are belong to Buxton.

• ashburyjohn and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, brian dozier, joe mauer