Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Buxton, Dozier Win Their First Gold Glove Awards

byron buxton brian dozier joe mauer
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:07 AM

Ok, going to get on my moral high horse here, sorry folks...

Only in Minnesota land could we ***** about our own players winning a high profile award. Why in the Good Lord's name are some of us "upset" about this? I just don't get it. Is it because some of us want him gone in exchange for newer shinier prospects?

I get it, we all have our own favorite players and vision of what we want the organization and FO to do. But this is who we have right now. He's a good person, a decent to even very good player. Why can't folks be happy for him?

• Seth Stohs, Jerr, gunnarthor and 8 others like this

#22 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

playing on in the play offs...

• Members
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

Can I simultaneously be thrilled for Dozier and believe that he didn't have any business winning it?

Yes.
  • snepp likes this

#23 Drew

Drew

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAim low, aim so low that when you achieve your goal, even you will be disappointed. ~ Homer Simpson

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

I'm convinced I don't care at all about the Gold Glove. But I would've been very upset if Buxton hadn't won it. So I guess I care. But starting next year I will no longer care. 

Unless Buxton doesn't win it. 

• Dantes929, Oldgoat_MN and 70charger like this

#24 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

I like the way the STrib stated it, that viewed with metrics, Dozier is only average, but he must have made an impression on the field in opposing dugouts.

• USAFChief and wsnydes like this

#25 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

playing on in the play offs...

• Members
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:42 AM

I am reminded of a tale from some hallmark hairball book if memory serves about the author being disappointed in watching a storied pool shark play. He ran the table, but every shot was an easy shot. Anyone coulda done that! Perhaps there is a similar element in play here?

Anyway, someday i might get a high horse, i just have never been good at horse trading...
  • gunnarthor, slash129 and jimmer like this

#26 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:44 AM

Congratulations to Byron Buxton and Brian Dozier!!

Now get out there an vote for Buxton to get that Platinum Glove!He definitely deserves it.  

I know the hot stove is cookin' and we're playing fantasy GM, but these awards give a little extension to what was a very fun Twins season.

• Jerr likes this

#27 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

Buxton not winning would have been a travesty. He was spectacular this year. If he stays healthy, he will definitely win a bunch of these. Even if he doesn't deserve it in some future year, there seems to be an incumbency factor to the award that's just as pervasive as the gold batting glove factor.

And good for Dozier. Despite defensive metrics, yada yada yada, I don't see Kinsler and Pedroia as being noticeably better than him. His playing a lot of games very consistently with the glove was valuable to his team.

• Broker, terrydactyls1947 and HrbekRules like this

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,803 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

Only in Minnesota land could we ***** about our own players winning a high profile award. Why in the Good Lord's name are some of us "upset" about this? I just don't get it. Is it because some of us want him gone in exchange for newer shinier prospects?

I get it, we all have our own favorite players and vision of what we want the organization and FO to do. But this is who we have right now. He's a good person, a decent to even very good player. Why can't folks be happy for him?

1. Because Dozier didn't deserve this particular award. That's not a knock on Brian, as he had an excellent season.

2. A guy who at least deserved consideration, Mauer, didn't even make the finalist cut.

I'm glad for Brian but I wish this award was based more on defensive merit and not reputation and/or offense.

• snepp, Danchat, Platoon and 3 others like this

#29 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

Only in Minnesota land could we ***** about our own players winning a high profile award. Why in the Good Lord's name are some of us "upset" about this? I just don't get it. Is it because some of us want him gone in exchange for newer shinier prospects?

I get it, we all have our own favorite players and vision of what we want the organization and FO to do. But this is who we have right now. He's a good person, a decent to even very good player. Why can't folks be happy for him?

No need to apologize for getting on a moral high horse. Your post doesnt put you on a moral high horse at all.

People have a right to discuss whether or not players are deserving on an award. NO ONE SEEMS TO BE UPSET Dozier won (and there of tons of congratulations). Some are just wondering if he was the best choice, and I dont know wondering that means that peole want him gone for new shiny propsects.

Some fans are putting their fandom aside and asking if he was deserving in the same way some people are wondering why Hosmer even warrants a top 3 spot much less winning the thing.

Its a baseball discussion about the merits of an award.

Edited by jimmer, 08 November 2017 - 10:13 AM.

• snepp, flpmagikat, Dman and 2 others like this

#30 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:43 AM

Buxton not winning would have been a travesty. He was spectacular this year. If he stays healthy, he will definitely win a bunch of these. Even if he doesn't deserve it in some future year, there seems to be an incumbency factor to the award that's just as pervasive as the gold batting glove factor.

And good for Dozier. Despite defensive metrics, yada yada yada, I don't see Kinsler and Pedroia as being noticeably better than him. His playing a lot of games very consistently with the glove was valuable to his team.

Definitely an incumbency factor which really diminishes the award for me. Hrbek never winning one always comes to mind. Gordon in the past has played so well in left field that I can hardly believehe shouldn't be on the 60 year team but 2017 he must have been perfect in games I didn't watch because he was far from it in games I did watch. 

Gibson has had some really good defensive seasons at pitcher but he could be the best ever and not get close to the award if his ERA is north of 4.00. 

Dozier?meh, he has had some better years based on my eyeball test but as has been pointed out there are probably worse winners every single year.

• Broker and Don Walcott like this
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#31 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

BTW, for the award, they do take SDI into account for 25% of the vote. I dont know much about that stat.

Dozier did finish 2nd for AL 2B in that, whereas Hosmer finished 12 out of the 13 AL 1Bs listed.

#32 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:53 AM

Overall for American League SDI Twins rankings.

Castro: 4th out of 17
Mauer: 3rd out of 13
Dozier: 2nd out of 13
Sano: 11th out of 13
Polanco: 8th out of 13
Rosario: 7th out of 14
Buxton: 1st out of 11
Kepler: 5th out of 12.
  • Dantes929 and dbminn like this

#33 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

What do you call a player who is awarded a Gold Glove award, even though his advanced metrics aren't the best at the position? THE GOLD GLOVE WINNER! Hardy congratulations to Buck and Bull Dozer. I am extremely happy for both of them.
  • Dantes929 and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,803 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

Kepler: 5th out of 12.

Impressive. Six out of eight guys in the top half of the rankings.
  • dbminn, jimmer, howieramone2 and 2 others like this

#35 slash129

slash129

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

I don't know if it's necessarily a Minnesota thing.I think Mauer gettting snubbed at even being a finalist is the root cause for some lesser enthusiasm on Dozier's win. 

Fear of coming across as a hypocrite for saying, "WTF, Hosmer?" followed by "Yeah, Dozier!" is definitely a driver.

If Mauer had even been a finalist, I very much doubt Dozier's defense would have been picked on the way it has in both the finalist thread and this thread.

• 70charger, Dozier's Glorious Hair and MN_ExPat like this

#36 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

Kepler: 5th out of 1

That is an average of 5.125. Not bad. The left side needs improvement.

#37 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:23 AM

Can someone share a link to the SDI stats?

#38 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 908 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

That is an average of 5.125. Not bad. The left side needs improvement.

There is no reason to believe Sano and Polanco won't improve in their 2nd full season at the position.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

Just a reminder to the fair weather fans. The weather is fair, and will be for quite some time.

#39 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,907 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

Expanding on Don Walcott’s comments above. According to espn, all qualified second basemen were grouped between +1 and -1 wins IIRC. There weren’t any great or horrible defenders. Dozier won, good for him. Because of Altuve, he may never win a Silver Bat and in another era, he might already have won multiple Silver Sluggers.

#40 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

http://sabr.org/sdi/2017-final
  • gunnarthor, tarheeltwinsfan and dbminn like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, brian dozier, joe mauer