Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Berardino: Tonkin's Rights Sold to Japanese Team

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

Gets the 40-man roster down to 33.Gives them room to add 6 players while retaining an open spot for the Rule 5 draft.Or will they add 7 and make another move if they want to participate in the Rule 5 draft?

Several other candidates to be removed when they sign a couple free agents.Thinking of Boshers, Enns and what to do with Phil Hughes?Or will they strengthen the club via the trade route?  

Will they add Seth's top 4 plus 2, or 3, of the next group of 4?Will still be some difficult decisions while leaving a few good players exposed to the draft.

Doesn't seem likely that adding a player via rule 5 is something the Twins would try. If 2017 showed the Twins brass nothing else it is that you can't hide a rule 5 guy if you are trying to contend.
  • tvagle likes this

#42 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

Doesn't seem likely that adding a player via rule 5 is something the Twins would try. If 2017 showed the Twins brass nothing else it is that you can't hide a rule 5 guy if you are trying to contend.

I would agree with this.There are plenty of arms that you could just protect and add to the 40 man that would be just as capable as the guy you are trying to hide.I am thinking along the lines of Burdi or Bard types.

• big dog likes this

#43 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,129 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

I was wondering if the fact that it was the Ham Fighters was a coincidence or not, as speculated above. There's obviously now a pre-existing relationship that could prove beneficial.

I mean as long as Tonkin doesn't face live batters prior to the Twins getting Otani.

Kidding of course. I think Tonkin will do quite well over there and be one of those returning vets that turns heads back inthe states once his Ham Fighters contract is over.
  • GP830 likes this

#44 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

Great opportunity for Tonkin - he got a good shot here and did not make it.He has talent and I think he will do well in Japan. 

#45 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

Yeah, well ... I guess I wouldn’t move there, not even for that amount. But I didn’t know how it worked.

You wouldn't move to Japan for a couple years for $2 mill? Really only two half years.

Sign me up!I've never been and I spend most of my 24 years in the AF avoiding PACAF (especially Korea), but they weren't offering me that kind of money.I did manage to spend 11 years in England, Belgium, and Germany, so I'm sure I could adapt. Chicago, on the other hand... (ducking)

• Riverbrian, snepp and jimmer like this

#46 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,057 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:27 PM

Tonkin will turn 28 before the start of the next season.He was drafted out of college. He might have 2 years of service time in. He really hasn't had a big payday at any point in his career. To earn a lifetime's money from baseball he will have to go to Japan. It may or may not be to his liking, but you have to do what you have to do. He really does not have much for options. He could not get a spot in one of the worst bullpens in the league. He has to go to Japan or not have money.

Tonkin was drafted out of high school. 

#47 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,114 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:30 AM

Not that it matters, but Tonkin will be playing for the "Fighters," not the "Ham Fighters." The team is owned by Nippon Ham.
  • nicksaviking likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#48 tvagle

tvagle

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

Not that it matters, but Tonkin will be playing for the "Fighters," not the "Ham Fighters." The team is owned by Nippon Ham.

AHA...makes more sense to me now...I was struggling with the images of a dude(s) fighting with a ham or a dude(s) having a fight with ham

ham-fighters-logo.jpg?w=1024&h=994

Thanks for the clarification

• nicksaviking likes this

#49 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:24 PM

Tonkin was drafted out of high school. 

I forgot to put that in there. It really does limit his options in life. Bless him for having the conviction that he was going to make it as a pro. He has made it, but not well enough for financial independence. He might have a good enough financial planner, but I do not think a 30 round pick gets a big bonus. I think he has at least 2 years of service time in. 

#50 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

AHA...makes more sense to me now...I was struggling with the images of a dude(s) fighting with a ham or a dude(s) having a fight with ham

ham-fighters-logo.jpg?w=1024&h=994

Thanks for the clarification

Maybe they were fighting over the ham as there was not enough for everyone.The choice between Black Forrest or Virginia got ugly

• USAFChief, nicksaviking, snepp and 2 others like this

#51 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

I wonder if this trade might get our foot in the door for Ohtani.

Edited by ahart10, 11 November 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#52 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,460 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:27 PM

So says the US Air "Force Chief".

signed,

Ash bury-john

• USAFChief likes this

We couldn't afford fire alarms, so Dad hung Jiffy Pop over the doors.

#53 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 6,122 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

ham-spot-1-300x192.png

• USAFChief, Twins33, dbminn and 2 others like this

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club