Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

General politics

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#161 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 18,491 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:49 PM

Am I the only one not overjoyed? I’m relieved, for sure. While I get that it’s a red state, it was still really close. Way closer than it should have been, IMO, considering one candidate was a pedophile. I mean think on that and how many still voted for him. I guess a win’s a win and I didn’t think we had a hope, so I guess it’s good. But still ... a LOT of people still voted for a pedophile. And Jones will likely get voted out next time around, as long as they get anyone who’s not a pedophile to run against him.
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#162 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:52 AM

Am I the only one not overjoyed? I’m relieved, for sure. While I get that it’s a red state, it was still really close. Way closer than it should have been, IMO, considering one candidate was a pedophile. I mean think on that and how many still voted for him. I guess a win’s a win and I didn’t think we had a hope, so I guess it’s good. But still ... a LOT of people still voted for a pedophile. And Jones will likely get voted out next time around, as long as they get anyone who’s not a pedophile to run against him.

How many people still think Michael Jackson is great?

Moore was a horrible candidate for many reasons - Jones was close before the Post story came out - and it turned off over half the voters of an insanely red state. Jones might not win re-election or he might show the voters that he's a good representation of Alabama. Who knows. But I don't think we should be anything but overjoyed.

#163 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 18,491 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:28 AM

How many people still think Michael Jackson is great?

Moore was a horrible candidate for many reasons - Jones was close before the Post story came out - and it turned off over half the voters of an insanely red state. Jones might not win re-election or he might show the voters that he's a good representation of Alabama. Who knows. But I don't think we should be anything but overjoyed.

Michael Jackson is another thread, and if you have time, I have a very worthwhile article for you to read ... basically asking 'How do you separate the monster from the genius? Is that even possible?' If you want to read it I'll look it up. But I don't spend my money on his music. His music, however, is genius. Did Moore have any qualities that would put him in that category? And was Michael Jackson ever in a position to govern and vote on laws and policy? Both pedophiles, but not related in this situation at all so I'm not sure I get the comparison, other than maybe too many are willing to overlook the monster for another purpose?

I also read that the African American turnout was very large, despite the barriers. There was a very large, organized effort and it made a huge difference.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#164 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

I think the significant factor in this is that this special election has really polarized a lot of swing/independent/center voters (nationwide) against the GOP for their continued support of this nonsense. Actually I have no data on that but that is my feeling and my hope at least.

• Carole Keller likes this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#165 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,031 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

I think the significant factor in this is that this special election has really polarized a lot of swing/independent/center voters (nationwide) against the GOP for their continued support of this nonsense. Actually I have no data on that but that is my feeling and my hope at least.

McConnell probably inoculated his party by his repeated statements that the People of Alabama Would Decide. 2018 voters in the middle probably will hear claims from both sides and conclude "meh".

My New Year's resolution: finish what I star

#166 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:39 AM

The real Trump must still be sleeping. (About as classy as you get and can imagine from this man). 

Absolutely not him. No words in all caps, no grammatical errors, no innuendo about Jones's sexuality....
  • gunnarthor, PseudoSABR and jimmer like this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#167 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:53 AM

Good win for Jones and democrats. It grates my soul to see how many people claimed the allegations were false. Alabama is in the condition they are because of the continued support for extreme GOP policies. The failure to expand Medicaid by itself is unbelievable to me. Maybe with Jones as the most visible Democrat he can begin to do some good in that state. He will never sway the blood red evangelicals, and the state is destined to stay deep red, but this result gives me some hope there is at least enough sanity to not elect a disgusting human into a powerful position.

#168 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

Looks like white people had no issue voting for Moore. That part is depressing.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#169 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,031 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

Women as a group were said to be 60%+ for Jones. I don't even want to do the math to compute what that probably implies for my white-skinned brothers there. :)

#170 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 18,491 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:10 AM

Right ... hence my comment about the African American voters who really carried it.

#171 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

We have to start doing deeper demographics on white voters. White Christian voters (which yes is most of them) v. all other whites.

Until we do that, we're not going to truly see where the problem is. It's not just being white.

Edited by Doomtints, 13 December 2017 - 11:44 AM.

#172 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:48 AM

If you feel that strongly about abortion, you could make a reasonable moral argument that Moore was still the lesser of two evils.

And partisanship is, and always will be, a powerful drug.

Papers...business papers.

#173 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,248 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Btw.... Happy to be wrong on this one!

The most Republican state elected a Democrat. Check out fivethirtyeight....

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#174 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:01 PM

Good breakdown by Chris cillizza http://www.cnn.com/2...ysis/index.html. Especially proud of the millennial vote. I truly believe my generation is going to change the world. Rejecting Moore is a step in the right direction.

#175 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,031 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

Good breakdown by Chris cillizza http://www.cnn.com/2...ysis/index.html. Especially proud of the millennial vote. I truly believe my generation is going to change the world. Rejecting Moore is a step in the right direction.

The baby boomer cohort who voted so lopsidedly in favor of Trump was voting for Clean Gene in 1968 and McGovern in 1972. They were going to change the world too. Chief could probably regale you with stories about how the young'uns deserted the Whig Party after 1856. Plus ça change...

• USAFChief likes this

#176 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,896 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

The baby boomer cohort who voted so lopsidedly in favor of Trump was voting for Clean Gene in 1968 and McGovern in 1972. They were going to change the world too. Chief could probably regale you with stories about how the young'uns deserted the Whig Party after 1856. Plus ça change...

I'm forced to concur, you *******.  

• Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.