Jump to content

Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

General politics

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
2544 replies to this topic

#2541 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

    Senior Member

  • Member
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:28 PM

Pretty much as expected imo. Republicans crying about Hillary Clinton and the Steele document.... Democrats trying to paint Trump as a criminal. Mueller a answering questions to avoid a bipartisan bias. Waste of time. Anyone that pays attention, already knew his answers.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#2542 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

    Pitch-to-contact poster

  • Twins News Team
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:37 PM

 

Pretty much as expected imo. Republicans crying about Hillary Clinton and the Steele document.... Democrats trying to paint Trump as a criminal. Mueller a answering questions to avoid a bipartisan bias. Waste of time. Anyone that pays attention, already knew his answers.

It's not so much a waste of time as creating a better record (video, sound bytes, things that can be plugged into commercials and referred to by candidates with memorable reference) for the 2020 campaign.

 

He unequivocally said he did not exonerate the President, that Trump could be indicted after leaving office, that the Russian threat is ongoing and dire, among many other things.We're in the spin zone, so it all seems a bit partisan and therefore meaningless but there was real news today. 

 

Schiff's questioning of Mueller was expert, in and of itself creates a startling record of the seriousness of what happened during 2016. 

 

All that said, in the current news cycle, as you say for those who pay attention, our biases will only be confirmed. I think this is better fodder for the Democratic candidates than Trump himself. 

Edited by PseudoSABR, 24 July 2019 - 10:38 PM.

  • Musk21 likes this

#2543 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

    Senior Member

  • Member
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:20 PM

It's not so much a waste of time as creating a better record (video, sound bytes, things that can be plugged into commercials and referred to by candidates with memorable reference) for the 2020 campaign.

He unequivocally said he did not exonerate the President, that Trump could be indicted after leaving office, that the Russian threat is ongoing and dire, among many other things. We're in the spin zone, so it all seems a bit partisan and therefore meaningless but there was real news today.

Schiff's questioning of Mueller was expert, in and of itself creates a startling record of the seriousness of what happened during 2016.

All that said, in the current news cycle, as you say for those who pay attention, our biases will only be confirmed. I think this is better fodder for the Democratic candidates than Trump himself.


Why? Who does it convince? I don't think it moves the needle. Those whom care about the president following the law already are against Trump. Honestly, only extreme bias can see it any other way. We saw it today with Republicans saying Hillary Clinton was an adversary... even after she lost the election!

I'm so disappointed in the Republican party with how they've lined up behind a terrible person like Trump. Either they are gutless cowards, or unable to think for themselves. My hunch is the former, since Justin Amash said he was thanked behind closed doors for his pro impeachment stance.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#2544 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

    Pitch-to-contact poster

  • Twins News Team
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:45 PM

 

Why? Who does it convince? I don't think it moves the needle. Those whom care about the president following the law already are against Trump. Honestly, only extreme bias can see it any other way. We saw it today with Republicans saying Hillary Clinton was an adversary... even after she lost the election!

There's people in the middle that are wary of Trump, but don't have enough reason to vote against him. Those people.  

 

There's only like 40% or less that is part of Trump's cult (crazy that it is even that high), but that leaves 60%, many of which need to be persuaded, and could be on these grounds--the Trump colluded with Russia, though not quite enough for a conviction. There's a persuadable middle there, with what already 45% approve impeachment.


#2545 howeda7

howeda7

    Senior Member

  • Member
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:52 AM

 

There's people in the middle that are wary of Trump, but don't have enough reason to vote against him. Those people.  

 

There's only like 40% or less that is part of Trump's cult (crazy that it is even that high), but that leaves 60%, many of which need to be persuaded, and could be on these grounds--the Trump colluded with Russia, though not quite enough for a conviction. There's a persuadable middle there, with what already 45% approve impeachment.

+1. I think Pelosi is being pretty gutless on the impeachment. The idea that it will "fire up" Trump's base is dumb. It might, but who cares? They're going to vote regardless. The Kavanaugh hearings "fired them up" too and they still lost 40 seats in the House.

 

I think as long as they keep the inquiry away from personal issues like Stormy Daniels there will not be a backlash for at least having the inquiry. Keep it focused on the obstruction Mueller laid out and his financial dealings and secrecy. The Clinton impeachment backfired because it was purely personal.

  • PseudoSABR likes this