Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

General politics

• Please log in to reply
2277 replies to this topic

#2261 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,474 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:21 PM

He was leading all polls going into the final week of the campaign, and the presumed favorite flooded television and social media with a false accusation campaign that was not able to be widely refuted before election day, and exit polls showed that to be the difference in the election. Without that final campaign, he had defeated a multiple-term Republican US Representative that had achieved state election in spite of a lack of production in that role.

But he didn't. That's how the one side plays now. Which was my point, times have changed. That was my whole point in that post, it's a different time now....

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#2262 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,474 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:22 PM

No, he won his first term in the mid-1980s. In South Dakota, that was even more strict party alignment as Reagan had pushed the farmers in that direction strongly.

Politics has changed since then. That's the point I was trying, unsuccessfully, to make.

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#2263 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:41 PM

But he didn't. That's how the one side plays now. Which was my point, times have changed. That was my whole point in that post, it's a different time now....

Yes, and no. It's been seen across the country in other districts that the hands-on approach (not literal hands-on, obviously...) can be a huge sway for votes. South Dakota is unique in that there is a tremendously large amount of land in the state, but there are also some very distinctly different places to campaign. Sioux Falls is its own beast. The reservations are their own campaign conundrum. The western half of the state is incredibly spaced-out ranch land other than the Black Hills and reservation land (both their own distinct places as well). The eastern half is much more crop farmers and "industrial".

It's a tactic that is used now, yes. However, it does not mean defeating that is impossible. It certainly did not help Noem's cause once it was revealed it was false. She had some strong discord from her own party in the state legislature this year in session. That's incredibly rare, and nearly unheard of in this state.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#2264 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:51 AM

...and he'd be a very tough candidate in that election, very feasibly taking the seat from Rounds.

I still wouldn't bet on it, but he has as good a chance as the Dems are going to get.

#2265 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

Did the Democrat win?

No. But I would say his performance was more impressive than Beto O'Rourke getting within 3 of Ted Cruz.

• biggentleben likes this

#2266 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:42 PM

I still wouldn't bet on it, but he has as good a chance as the Dems are going to get.

Well, there is a better choice, but she's not running right now, and likely won't again, sadly.

#2267 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• Members
  • 7,995 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:51 PM

Well, there is a better choice, but she's not running right now, and likely won't again, sadly.

She's just bidin' her time...

hqdefault.jpg

• PseudoSABR likes this

#2268 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:53 PM

She's just bidin' her time...

hqdefault.jpg

Um....not even close. I'm talking about the better option to run for Senate in South Dakota.

#2269 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• Members
  • 7,995 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:57 PM

Um....not even close. I'm talking about the better option to run for Senate in South Dakota.

I know, I read the thread, that's what made it fun. For me, anyway.

Edit: I'm not sure who you DO mean, but if it's SHS she was thought by many Dems to be too moderate in 2014, which in 2019 would make her a Dino, if not a Rino.

Edited by LaBombo, 08 June 2019 - 12:32 AM.

#2270 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:55 PM

Oh Noem will run for re-election. Book it. But he can do both. Frankly, the only way for a Dem in SD to build name recognition is to keep running for things. Being the minority leader of the Senate when it's 90/10 R doesn't mean much.

#2271 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,200 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:13 PM

Oh Noem will run for re-election. Book it. But he can do both. Frankly, the only way for a Dem in SD to build name recognition is to keep running for things. Being the minority leader of the Senate when it's 90/10 R doesn't mean much.

No, I meant Stephanie Herseth, but she's enjoying her new role and was very turned off by the way things were handled at the end of her political career in SD, much at the hands of Noem's team.

#2272 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,200 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:29 PM

You just cannot make this stuff up:

moments ago, @senatemajldr McConnell on #Reparations: "I don't want reparations for something that happened 150 years ago...we've tried to deal with the original sin of slavery by passing civil rights legislation and electing an African American president...."

Essentially, a "What?! We gave you people a president!! Isn't that enough?!" I just cannot understand how this man holds such a powerful position in our political arena in this country today.

• PseudoSABR likes this

#2273 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:42 PM

No, I meant Stephanie Herseth, but she's enjoying her new role and was very turned off by the way things were handled at the end of her political career in SD, much at the hands of Noem's team.

Sorry. Misunderstood. Thought you were saying Sutton should wait and run for Gov again.

Meh. She's not a better option than Sutton. Stayed out of it too long. Plus, even though she's back, they would hit her with the "out of touch DC'er" "not a real South Dakotan" stuff they slammed Dashle with.

Edited by howeda7, Yesterday, 04:43 PM.

#2274 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,151 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted Yesterday, 04:43 PM

moments ago, @senatemajldr McConnell on #Reparations: "I don't want reparations for something that happened 150 years ago...we've tried to deal with the original sin of slavery by passing civil rights legislation and electing an African American president...."

Race is such a beacon to some eyes, that to them blackness was the defining characteristic of the Obama presidency.

He'd get indignant if someone called him racist, and yet McConnell sees events through exactly such a prism, and he gives it away in off-hand comments like that.

• PseudoSABR and biggentleben like this

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#2275 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:44 PM

You just cannot make this stuff up:

Essentially, a "What?! We gave you people a president!! Isn't that enough?!" I just cannot understand how this man holds such a powerful position in our political arena in this country today.

Wow. He should have stopped after the first sentence.

#2276 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:46 PM

I would be interested to hear what anyone thinks reparations should look like.

Personally, I am against it.My family was in eastern Europe living in virtual poverty all the way up until the early 20th century.This is the story with a whole lot of other European-Americans.

Maybe some people have families that have been here since times of slavery and there is a certain amount of guilt associated with it.Go ahead and beat that drum if it makes you feel better.I'll be over here ignoring the noise

#2277 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,200 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:33 PM

Sorry. Misunderstood. Thought you were saying Sutton should wait and run for Gov again.

Meh. She's not a better option than Sutton. Stayed out of it too long. Plus, even though she's back, they would hit her with the "out of touch DC'er" "not a real South Dakotan" stuff they slammed Dashle with.

I get it. She's been out too long now. She's a family friend, and I know her heart for helping/improving the state. The stuff Noem used was dirty politics crap (Steph's husband had a job working for a lobbying firm, so she MUST be completely in the pocket of that lobbying firm - nevermind that they never made a donation to her once), and it really bugged Stephanie because she was spending quite a bit of time in South Dakota due to health issues in her family, yet she never countered Noem with that publicly to confront the crappy politics being used in the race, now a hallmark of Noem's campaigning.

She's in a different position now in her life with her son coming up on teenage years soon and really enjoying life working in academics at Augustana, but frankly, it was a sad sign of things to come in the state to watch that campaign play out.

#2278 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 3,492 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:49 PM

I would be interested to hear what anyone thinks reparations should look like.

Personally, I am against it.My family was in eastern Europe living in virtual poverty all the way up until the early 20th century.This is the story with a whole lot of other European-Americans.

Maybe some people have families that have been here since times of slavery and there is a certain amount of guilt associated with it.Go ahead and beat that drum if it makes you feel better.I'll be over here ignoring the noise

I doubt anyone here is for reparations... The point about McConnell isn't that he doesn't like the idea, it is the racist manner in which he chose to convey the message.
  • PseudoSABR likes this
Do or do not. There is no try.