Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

General politics

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

Since I love starting political threads, I figured we need one to discuss random politics happenings not related to POTUS.

The first major elections since little Don was elected happened tonight. It doesn't say too much, but it is perhaps a barometer for how the mid terms will go. Looks like a strong performance for dems, continuing a trend from special elections.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#2 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 18,491 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

Northam wins VA and Murphy wins in NJ.
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,031 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

North am Winstead I need VA

614544c0a6d40915dea7edc5dc7d7be7.jpg

Hic! Friends don't let friends post impaired. :)

• gunnarthor, PseudoSABR and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

My New Year's resolution: finish what I star

#4 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 18,491 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:49 PM

614544c0a6d40915dea7edc5dc7d7be7.jpg

Hic! Friends don't let friends post impaired. :)

Yeah, sadly that wasn’t it. My iPad is possessed.
  • ashburyjohn likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,031 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:58 PM

Yeah, sadly that wasn’t it. My iPad is possessed.

Auto-correct is a hell of a drug.

#6 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 18,491 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

Auto-correct is a hell of a drug.

It wasn’t auto-correct. Every once in a while the keypad goes berserk. And I reread before I post. It’s an old machine. But back to politics ... any other results of the day?

#7 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:05 PM

The turning of white educated voters. Quite the re-alignment we are seeing.

Will be interesting to see if Rs double down on their current agenda (such as it is) or if they put on the brakes and try to re-claim this demographic. I don't think raising their taxes in the current tax bill is going to help.

Midterms are really shaping up to be a wave.
Papers...business papers.

#8 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:06 PM

The dear leader weighs in...

#9 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,031 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:08 PM

It wasn’t auto-correct. Every once in a while the keypad goes berserk. And I reread before I post. It’s an old machine. But back to politics ... any other results of the day?

Looks like the Virginia legislature is unexpectedly in play, with the trans candidate Danica Roem winning against the anti-LGBTQ firebrand in that district.

• PseudoSABR likes this

#10 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 18,491 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:14 PM

Looks like the Virginia legislature is unexpectedly in play, with the trans candidate Danica Roem winning against the anti-LGTBQ firebrand in that district.

Sounds like she led a smart campaign. Good old fashioned ground work and door knocking combined with the modern and a strong presence on social media, against an aging, out-of-step incumbent who proclaimed himself ‘chief homophobe’ who took for granted he’d just win again.

#11 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 18,491 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

I’ll miss the Christie memes:

1C914415-B29E-49D8-8282-B3B840961EAF.jpeg
  • PseudoSABR likes this

#12 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:24 PM

St. Paul elects first black mayor.
  • Carole Keller likes this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#13 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:54 AM

St. Paul elects first black mayor.

Winning outright was quite the surprise. Young guy too.

#14 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:31 AM

Winning outright was quite the surprise. Young guy too.

I'm not sure how different he will be from Harris, but I hope he does well.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#15 Champuckett

Champuckett

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

Based on last nights results, what are the odds this will translate into similar results for the 2018 elections? Are both major political parties hurt since the 2016 election or is one hurt more than the other? Is this the end of the Republican Party? Is this the beginning of a Democrat surge to retake the Congress and eventually the White House in 2020?

#16 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:31 AM

Based on last nights results, what are the odds this will translate into similar results for the 2018 elections? Are both major political parties hurt since the 2016 election or is one hurt more than the other? Is this the end of the Republican Party? Is this the beginning of a Democrat surge to retake the Congress and eventually the White House in 2020?

Probably a result to be expected considering the fundamentals. An unpopular President, a generic Congressional ballot that is about +10 D right now. You probably have motivated Dems, Moderates who don't like Trump, and demoralized Rs, since they haven't really passed any legislation of note.

A lot can happen in a year (or 3 before the Presidential election), but it is shaping up to be a midterm Dem wave that would retake Congress. Remains to be seen if they can translate that down to Governor and state legislative races too.

The big shift you are seeing is suburbs and college educated whites shifting strongly to Dems all over the country. These are groups that vote in higher percentages in off Presidential years. There truly is a shift in the party compositions, will remain to be seen if this is permanent. Seems possible, as the main fault line in politics right now seems to be immigration.

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:33 AM

I'm not sure how different he will be from Harris, but I hope he does well.

I don't know either, I was pretty fine with either winning. Carter certainly represents a shift in the city. I live and work here, and I have been served well, but I know that is not the case for too many residents.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#18 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:24 AM

This is shaping up to be a wave next year, from what I'm reading and hearing. The Virginia State House looks to be split now, first time in 20 years. Consistent stronger than normal Democrat support nationwide. Republicans are retiring which will lead to more Bannon candidates winning primaries and losing general elections.

Seems like history is repeating itself, except flipped from the outcome of 2008. However, I feel the fuel for the momentum comes from different places. Trump is a convenient scape goat right now, but the economic message by the democrats still needs refined.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#19 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 18,491 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

This is shaping up to be a wave next year, from what I'm reading and hearing. The Virginia State House looks to be split now, first time in 20 years. Consistent stronger than normal Democrat support nationwide. Republicans are retiring which will lead to more Bannon candidates winning primaries and losing general elections.

Seems like history is repeating itself, except flipped from the outcome of 2008. However, I feel the fuel for the momentum comes from different places. Trump is a convenient scape goat right now, but the economic message by the democrats still needs refined.

I'm still wary, because of these three things: the economy, the economy and the economy. That has long been the thing that moves people to vote differently from election to election. There is still gerrymandering that will ensure, imo, that certain districts remain in Republican control. I'm not sure this wave is large enough to overcome that.

That said, what took place in Virginia, by all accounts a 'southern' state, does give me some hopeful pause.

#20 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

I'm still wary, because of these three things: the economy, the economy and the economy. That has long been the thing that moves people to vote differently from election to election. There is still gerrymandering that will ensure, imo, that certain districts remain in Republican control. I'm not sure this wave is large enough to overcome that.

That said, what took place in Virginia, by all accounts a 'southern' state, does give me some hopeful pause.

On the other hand, if the economy starts to go sideways, it will shift from a wave to a bloodbath.

A solid economy is baked into the wave conditions we are currently witnessing. If that sputters a little, especially in the months leading up the election...