Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Part 2: Seth's Updated Top 50 Prospects (31-40)

tyler wells aaron slegers lachlan wells nick burdi jake reed
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

I think Stashak was at the back end of the Top 50 last time. I think he's got a chance. He just missed a bunch of time with a couple of injuries, so I wouldn't make too much of the numbers. I was impressed that they sent him straight to AA at the end of the year.  

...and he didn't look out of place, either. That part impressed me quite a bit.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#22 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:10 PM

Thank you, Seth. I might be asking too much, but in future, could you add Rule 5 status (i.e., the year in which the prospect would be subjected to the Rule 5 draft)?

My humble opinion. I would rate Moya higher. I could see him as a key part of the 2019 bullpen.

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

Thank you, Seth. I might be asking too much, but in future, could you add Rule 5 status (i.e., the year in which the prospect would be subjected to the Rule 5 draft)?

My humble opinion. I would rate Moya higher. I could see him as a key part of the 2019 bullpen.

I can try to do that... I hope to update the "Organization Chart" during the offseason.

Moya could be a big part of the Twins bullpen in 2018. 

• MN_ExPat likes this

#24 Lefty74

Lefty74

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:10 PM

I don't think that ranking is too far off. This is a deep system, and while Slegers is a prospect close to the majors, he's not a high ceiling guy by any means.

I would note that the encouraging thing is all the guys in the 30-50 range who could be contributing major leaguers in the not so distant future. Some could be pretty good.

#25 Lefty74

Lefty74

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:21 PM

I am surprised Slegers is so far down. Agree that his ceiling is low, but he has had a reasonable amount of success in MILB. Are there really that many pitchers in the system ahead of him....we will see. My impression is pitching is our weak link. I guess it is important to understand the methodology. Most rankings of top prospects are weighted heavily towards the "what if". What If the guy who throws 95+ starts hitting his spots, or the 6'6" pitcher is projected to add 5 MPH To his FB. In reality most often they don't achieve these projections, yet they are considered more valuable because if they do they are higher ceiling guys. Lots of Sleger types end up have MLB careers, but most often they are not highly regarded in these types of evaluations.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#26 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:00 PM

I am like a lot of people and look at rankings in a different way, thinking close to the MLB team, versus potential.I just cannot assess potential - with all the previous years ink I kept thinking Burdi and Reed would blow people away in the major league BP, but here we are still ranking them in the potential arena. 

Frankly, I would not be surprised if all of these players made the bigs, but also I would not be surprised if that ranged from the cup of coffee to a small role.Star status does not seem likely.  

Moya is intriguing, but that might just be that we are always curious about the new acquisitions and tend to hope for more than those we know well. 

#27 Yoke

Yoke

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

I am like a lot of people and look at rankings in a different way, thinking close to the MLB team, versus potential.I just cannot assess potential - with all the previous years ink I kept thinking Burdi and Reed would blow people away in the major league BP, but here we are still ranking them in the potential arena. 

Frankly, I would not be surprised if all of these players made the bigs, but also I would not be surprised if that ranged from the cup of coffee to a small role.Star status does not seem likely.  

Moya is intriguing, but that might just be that we are always curious about the new acquisitions and tend to hope for more than those we know well. 

With the idea of looking at prospect rankings as who is closest to MLB vs. potential, wouldn't that make somebody like Royce Lewis rank outside the top 10, maybe top 20 in a prospect ranking? I think looking at it that way would bump AAAA type players a lot higher on a list than potential impact players.

It's also possible that I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like ranking on how close they are to the MLB is more of a depth chart than a prospect ranking.

#28 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

With the idea of looking at prospect rankings as who is closest to MLB vs. potential, wouldn't that make somebody like Royce Lewis rank outside the top 10, maybe top 20 in a prospect ranking? I think looking at it that way would bump AAAA type players a lot higher on a list than potential impact players.

It's also possible that I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like ranking on how close they are to the MLB is more of a depth chart than a prospect ranking.

You have a point, but for me AAAA is not major league ready, just better than many younger players.I want to rank players who will be major leaguers, not fringe players while a depth chart might list the 4As since they are fillers for injury and other depth issues.I like potential, but I want to see some of that potential played out - in our top 50 there are many who are not going to make it or will be destined to the 4A rank.The top prospect, to me, is the guy who is ready to step in and be a starter and contributor.

• Yoke likes this

#29 Yoke

Yoke

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:44 AM

You have a point, but for me AAAA is not major league ready, just better than many younger players.I want to rank players who will be major leaguers, not fringe players while a depth chart might list the 4As since they are fillers for injury and other depth issues.I like potential, but I want to see some of that potential played out - in our top 50 there are many who are not going to make it or will be destined to the 4A rank.The top prospect, to me, is the guy who is ready to step in and be a starter and contributor.

Gotcha. Basically weighted towards guys at the higher levels. That makes sense.

I lean towards potential a bit more, but use levels/age as more of a tiebreaker.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tyler wells, aaron slegers, lachlan wells, nick burdi, jake reed