Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Felix Jorge

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,272 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:34 PM

What is he worth?

This is a guy who, in my opinion, could be a decent major leaguer for a while. His ceiling is not higher than say a 2, but his floor is a pretty safe 5. He has an option expended, but two more remaining and should be in AAA next season for rehab. What is he worth to a team that is a few years out and could use some help bolstering pitching? 

I'm legitimately curious here, as he strikes me as the odd man out in a lot of pitching discussions. We have better pitchers in AA/AAA that deserve cracks ahead of him, but Jorge should provide a decent piece to most teams.

Just curious what everyone thinks.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,761 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

I've always liked him (have taken him in the Adopt-A-Prospect project), but I'm not sure his floor is quite as a contributing major leaguer even yet. His trade value, if that's part of what you meant by value, is surely close to nil. Physically he is not similar to Aaron Slegers, but in terms of their future roles with the team they probably match up - may make a home on the major league roster for a few seasons, but always on the bubble to be in the rotation. That's kinda valuable and not to be cast aside lightly, but not real real valuable.

• Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan, DocBauer and 1 other like this

If the first person on the phone can't answer your question, it's a bureaucracy.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,263 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

What is he worth?

This is a guy who, in my opinion, could be a decent major leaguer for a while. His ceiling is not higher than say a 2, but his floor is a pretty safe 5. He has an option expended, but two more remaining and should be in AAA next season for rehab. What is he worth to a team that is a few years out and could use some help bolstering pitching? 

I'm legitimately curious here, as he strikes me as the odd man out in a lot of pitching discussions. We have better pitchers in AA/AAA that deserve cracks ahead of him, but Jorge should provide a decent piece to most teams.

Just curious what everyone thinks.

He's probably a #4 type of starter who has the ability to put together a couple of seasons a #3 starter. He's been durable. He hits 94. He attacks the strike zone. He's got 4 pitches, none of them probably above average. I'd expect him to spend most of 2018 in AAA, but like Slegers, he could be a #6 starter in 2018 and maybe if things go well, he could be a #4/5 guy in 2019. 

Trade value... he'd be a decent #2 or #3 piece in a trade. 

• howieramone2 and MN_ExPat like this

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,787 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:56 PM

I ranked him 23rd in my last off-season prospect list.From there:

Felix Jorge was signed by the Twins as an international free agent from the Dominican Republic on February 21, 2011.The Santiago native received an $250,000 bonus and was assigned to the Dominican Summer League the following summer.He has been moving along the Twins organization, about a step a season, until 2014 where he had major issues in Cedar Rapids and had to return in Elizabetheton.He started 2015 again in Cedar Rapids and was the Kernels' best pitcher, pitching 23 games (22 GS) a team tops 142 IP, had 32 BB (2.03 BB/9, 14.6 K-BB%) and 114 Ks (7.3 K/9 and 20.3% K,) for a 2.79 ERA, 3.54 FIP, and 1.056 WHIP (2.67 BABIP).Last season he started in the Miracle rotation where he has the best results of his career: 14 GS, 93 IP, 77 K (7.5 K/9, 21.6 K%), 11 BB (1.1 BB/9, 18.5 K-BB%), 1.55 ERA, 2.50 FIP, 0.94 WHIP, .280 BABIP. He moved to AA Chatanooga in July and fell a bit flat, especially as far as strikeouts go: 11 GS, 74-1/3 IP, 32 K (3.8 K/9, 10.7 K%), 12 BB (1.5 BB/9, 6.7 K-BB%), 4.12 ERA, 4.21 FIP, 1.28 WHIP, .307 BABIP.Jorge's effectiveness has decreased in the second half both of last seasons, which might indicate that his decline in AA might have been the result of low endurance, in addition to facing better competition.

Jorge came in the organization as a 16 year old with a rare 3 above average pitch mix. He has a low 90s fastball that maxes at 93 with good downward movement, which the hitters have a hard time picking up.Above average slurvy curveball and change up.He commands all three pitches well, has good control and he mixes pitches well.One might see his 2016 results in Fort Myers and think that Jorge had a break-through season, but his biggest issue surfaced again: endurance. He does have mid-rotation potential, but time will tell whether he will have the endurance to be in a major league rotation or the pen.

Well...Same situation this season, and decrease in overall IP.I think that he can be a serviceable bottom of the rotation arm, but I'd love to see them turn him into a reliever (like they did with Taylor Rogers) and if he picks up a few ticks on that fastball, he will really have a lot to offer for the Twins.The potential is there.I think that his value vs. potential equation is upside down now for the Twins to trade him.

• Original Whizzinator likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:54 PM

If you could combine his pitching ability with Kohl Stewart’s size, you would have something. 2018 will be seeing if one of them develops the other guy’s strength.
  • tarheeltwinsfan and howieramone2 like this

#6 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,677 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:03 PM

From what I hear and read, he reminds me of Stewart to some degree. Body types and stuff may be different, but from all reports, there is enough velocity and secondary stuff to indicate, like Stewart, he should miss more bats, thus elevating his potential.

He has been quite consistent in results and a steady climb through the system. Like Stewart, you just keep waiting for some breakthrough, some light to come on. Is it pitchability? Is it consistent release? Is it the offspead or that one breaking pitch you're just longing to see get more consistent? IDK what it is, but I'm still very intrigued by both and want to see both stick around. Guys bloom at different stages and ages.
  • tarheeltwinsfan, howieramone2 and MN_ExPat like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,221 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

I think he's a long man/spot starter. I don't think he has any trade value.

• Mike Sixel and howieramone2 like this

#8 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,632 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

Personally I see Jorge as a guy that ends up being somewhere around a #4/5 or bouncing around as a long man. The low # of K's are a big part of that concern. The velocity and control (low BB's) make him intriguing though and in addition his youth give him a little more upside. 

I don't think he has much trade value but could be a nice 3rd piece in a big trade as mentioned. Or a primary piece is a Kevin Jepsen or better trade.

• howieramone2 likes this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#9 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

Dunno.Here's the tough part for me regarding any of our pitching prospects that have been around for any amount of time.I haven't seen any of them in person.So, like most, I'm forced to look at the numbers...but numbers often depend on the guys behind you.Let's face it, having Buxton behind you roaming CF should make the numbers better.Taking away an extra base hit now and then tends to lower the ERA, get you off the mound and back into the dugout while throwing fewer pitches....all good for the numbers, confidence, etc.So, I don't know what any of our prospects are truly worth.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#10 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:33 PM

With a new minor league pitching coordinator, new ideas from upper management, and another new coach to work with this year the sky is the limit. No longer with he be held down by the archaic thinking of the past regimes.With an individualized plan and superior intellect around him, the sky is the limit for his pitching.The ball can't go any further when the breaking ball doesn't break.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#11 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:44 PM

I think he's a long man/spot starter. I don't think he has any trade value.

Disagree that he doesn’t have any value. He could land a Jaime Garcia rental type

#12 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,272 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:04 AM

Disagree that he doesn’t have any value. He could land a Jaime Garcia rental type

This was what I was wondering about. He's definitely going to be a bit of a victim of depth in my opinion. Does it make sense to package a guy like him in some sort of trade. Not saying he'd be the headliner, but he's a pretty decent secondary piece I would think.

#13 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:21 AM

For Jorge to be a valuable second piece there has to be a first piece involved in the trade. There were only six players graded B or higher ( B- is lower than a grade of B )

Edited by The Wise One, 09 November 2017 - 06:25 AM.

• kab21 likes this

#14 rdehring

rdehring

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:29 AM

When I did my annual 40-man roster panic, I thought Jorge was less valuable to the Twins than several pitchers who MUST be added (at least must in my opinion).When I do the same comparison I did for Rosario the other day, I get similar results.

For me, that put him at risk of being outrighted to AAA.Doubt the Twins view him the same as I do!

#15 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,272 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

I say trade him for international FA cash and go get Otani... :)

#16 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,632 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:28 AM

I say trade him for international FA cash and go get Otani... :)

I would trade any of our prospects if it enabled the Twins to sign Otani.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis