Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins Big Splash Optimism

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,896 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

Two more years after the 2019 season (I think I was unclear). I would add Rosario to the 2022 list too.

2019 should be the start of a really good 3-4 year run.

I think 2017 had better have been the start of a good run, or there probably isn't a good run coming with the current crop.

• ashburyjohn, diehardtwinsfan, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#122 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,701 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

I think 2017 had better have been the start of a good run, or there probably isn't a good run coming with the current crop.

It's a semantics issue.

I considered 2017 good, I expect a similar(ish) win total, maybe a couple more in 2018, and then jumps into the 90s and being a threat for the division and advancing in the playoffs starting in 2019, which is really good in my mind.

Papers...business papers.

#123 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,370 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

Meh...actions speak louder than words.They can look, like, target, talk, whatever, all they want but if they don't actually sign anyone good it's completely meaningless.Who wouldn't like Darvish or Arrietta? 

So here's the question that bothers me... do we ever remember the old admins sniffing around the big names? I don't. I suppose this could be "due diligence," but I'm honestly thinking that there may be interest.

• Twins33 likes this

#124 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

So here's the question that bothers me... do we ever remember the old admins sniffing around the big names? I don't. I suppose this could be "due diligence," but I'm honestly thinking that there may be interest.

I hope so.I am intrigued by Otani as well.Wouldn't it be nice to grab Otani and Darvish?

• diehardtwinsfan and nytwinsfan like this

#125 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 18,491 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:11 PM

I hope so. I am intrigued by Otani as well. Wouldn't it be nice to grab Otani and Darvish?

That would truly be an off season like no other of my recall if that happened. And if that happened I may look to use 3 consecutive weeks off in March just because the giddiness will be too great not to.
  • diehardtwinsfan, nicksaviking and laloesch like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#126 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:09 PM

I don't remember it ever happening. They were always only mentioned for bottom or middle tier FA.
  • diehardtwinsfan likes this

#127 tvagle

tvagle

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:27 PM

Personally, I would look at a 2 year plan because I would not count on Santana after this year, Berrios still needs some seasoning, and we also need to audition Gonsalves and a few others.I would rather get Cobb or Lynn this year. They are two years younger and won't requires as many years.They will likely be 3 years younger at the end of their contracts which substantial reduces the risk associated with decline.

Next year we have another $45M coming off if we don't exercise Santana's option.Next year will also be a very deep free agent class and we will have had another year to graduate prospects.Harper, Donaldson, Machado and several others are going to absorb big free agent dollars next year and we will be in a better position to compete for top tier pitching.

Another off season of $50 million roulette with Cobb/Lynn is another year of treading water

Just because we have 10,000 lakes doesn't mean we need to tread water in each and everyone of them before we make a move

MLBTR kind of tip-toes around next seasons FA starters...I'm guessing from the title that Mr. Dierkes isn't advocating waiting (if you didn't check out the link "Next Winter’s Free Agent Starting Pitchers Aren’t Worth Waiting For")

Grab a Darvish...hope it helps bring Ohtani (apparently the now official spelling) then start the exted-o-rama with the core and add $10-$14M in Bullpen (hey it's not my money)

Do that and I might even let Santa take a flyover of the family gathering

• Twins33, nicksaviking and nytwinsfan like this

Do Anything Realistic Via Incremental Salary Hikes!

#128 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:44 PM

Another off season of $50 million roulette with Cobb/Lynn is another year of treading water

Just because we have 10,000 lakes doesn't mean we need to tread water in each and everyone of them before we make a move

MLBTR kind of tip-toes around next seasons FA starters...I'm guessing from the title that Mr. Dierkes isn't advocating waiting (if you didn't check out the link "Next Winter’s Free Agent Starting Pitchers Aren’t Worth Waiting For")

Grab a Darvish...hope it helps bring Ohtani (apparently the now official spelling) then start the exted-o-rama with the core and add $10-$14M in Bullpen (hey it's not my money)

Do that and I might even let Santa take a flyover of the family gathering

I would be OK with Darvish but I think Kershaw and Fernandez are considerably better SPs and Fernandez is considerably younger.If Darvish would actually tilt the tables such that we got Ohtani... sign me up.

#129 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,053 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:27 PM

I would be OK with Darvish but I think Kershaw and Fernandez are considerably better SPs and Fernandez is considerably younger. If Darvish would actually tilt the tables such that we got Ohtani... sign me up.

Who is Fernandez? Jose? He has sadly passed away. 2018 looks like it's Kershaw or bust and planning on him to Minnesota sounds beyond rediculous. If Darvish truly is financially achievable and willing, he looks like the Twins best chance to buy a front line starter since the early 1990's when they could be had for a couple million.
  • USAFChief, Twins33, NapoleonComplex and 4 others like this

#130 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:57 PM

Jon Heyman continually playing with our emotions:

https://www.fanragsp...vish-tops-list/

The Twins might end up exceeding my optimistic expectations.

Of course, the "more coverage" links at the bottom say...

Heyman | Cardinals looking at Darvish and Arrieta but eye trades 1st
Heyman | Dodgers-Darvish reunion not ruled out but unlikely

#131 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:18 AM

Who is Fernandez? Jose? He has sadly passed away. 2018 looks like it's Kershaw or bust and planning on him to Minnesota sounds beyond rediculous. If Darvish truly is financially achievable and willing, he looks like the Twins best chance to buy a front line starter since the early 1990's when they could be had for a couple million.

Holy crap how did I forget that one and yes my previous post clearly states we are not getting Kershaw.You are right however that next year's free agents do not have any top SP talent which makes Darvish and maybe even Arietta reasonable choices. Harper / Machado and Donaldson will be loving their good fortune that there are not any top SPs to suck up the available free agent dollars.

The only problem is the other GMs are aware of this shortage and Darvish / Arietta likely get obscene money and enough years to make these deals really hurt if they don't pan out.  

#132 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,415 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:14 AM

I think there are three really great AL teams in Houston, Cleveland and Boston. However the Twins and New York have a chance to join them. The Yankees probably need one more stud starter, which will be hard to do if they plan on staying under the payroll tax threshold.

The Twins need two stud starters, more velocity in the pen and a couple of the bats have to reach maximum potential. That sounds like a lot but I think they can do it with the right moves and a hardy and open checkbook.

I like that we will be playing the Royals, Tigers and White Sox more than the Astros and Red Sox get to. 

I like that nearly all AL Teams have serious Starting Pitching questions. 

However, Supply and Demand suggests that the prices for starting pitching might be a little higher this year. 

However... Having it... will be an advantage.  

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#133 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,370 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

I like that we will be playing the Royals, Tigers and White Sox more than the Astros and Red Sox get to. 

However, Supply and Demand suggests that the prices for starting pitching might be a little higher this year. 

Based on what I've read, it sounds like the big buyers will be sitting this one out. I wouldn't be surprised if Darvish and Arietta don't quite get when people are thinking.

I do agree though with the last point. We need one more sure thing in the rotation, if not 2.

• Riverbrian likes this

#134 tvagle

tvagle

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:04 AM

Hold while I reach for the Dramamine...might I suggest a name change to RollerCoasterBrian;)

• ashburyjohn, nicksaviking and Riverbrian like this

Do Anything Realistic Via Incremental Salary Hikes!

#135 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 908 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

Lynn and Cobb do not belong in the same conversation as Darvish.

They would be big splash in Minnesota but so was Ricky Nolasco. These two are much more similar to Nolasco than Darvish.

They are much more similar to Santana than Nolasco.

Just a reminder to the fair weather fans. The weather is fair, and will be for quite some time.

#136 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

Part of the problem was the lack of internal options to spend money on. They were so desperate they extendes veterans when they should have either traded them to acquire future assets or not overpaid to sign such mediocre vets in the first place.

Going for the top free agents on long contracts the last several years would left them with big money for players that were declining. It's a good thing that isn't the case now beyond Hughes.

The Twins spent too much during the down years. Isn't that obvious now after witnessing the well executed rebuilds of the Cubs and Astros during the relatively same timeframe?

The Astros had a 2 year head start. The Cubbies are a large market team, and it's very difficult for a mid-market team to compete with a large market team firing on all cylinders. I believe I read the Cubbies and our favorite team had idential records from 2012-2014.

On a side note, look for the Cardinals to go into a full rebuild mode, well before our favorite team's next rebuild. One of the laws of baseball is, all mid-market teams must rebuild at some point in time.

Just a reminder to the fair weather fans. The weather is fair, and will be for quite some time.

#137 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

What good does "extending the core" do if the core never has the pitching to win?

That's not a "window of contention." That's a longer window of "not good enough."

We have had winning records 2 of the past 3 years.