Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Twins Big Splash Optimism

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,852 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:47 PM

I ask this question of Aaron in the latest Gleeman and the Geek podcast, but I'll ask it of our community, too.

It seems like there is a lot of optimism that the Twins will have an aggressive offseason in free agency and perhaps sign a top starting pitcher (say Lance Lynn or better) or a closer-caliber arm for the bullpen. Or that payroll will increase significantly. I'm wondering - is there any evidence to support this? For instance, have I missed some quotes from the front office where they hinted this would be the case?

If not (and you're one of the optimistic ones), where does this optimism come from?

#2 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,934 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:50 PM

I can't see any evidence to support that optimism.We get this kind of optimism from some every year.We are the Charlie Brown of fans and the combination of the Twins FO and Ownership are Lucy.

Edited by jimmer, 05 November 2017 - 05:51 PM.

• Jerr, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 9 others like this

#3 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

I can definitely see them spending money to fix the bullpen. I don't see them spending a lot on starting pitching. I think they go the trade route there.
  • caninatl04 likes this

#4 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:42 PM

is there any evidence to support this?

no. none

• Jerr, JustinCB, Platoon and 1 other like this

#5 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,934 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

I can definitely see them spending money to fix the bullpen. I don't see them spending a lot on starting pitching. I think they go the trade route there.

Who do you envision them trading to get starting pitching?

#6 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

Twins have a lot of money coming off the books after 2018.There are extensions to be discussed, but revenue should be up along with attendance ( this usually tracks about a year behind). I feel this would be the year because of the number of big market teams wanting to get under the luxary tax before next years massive FA class.It is time to go big and I am an optimist.

• d-mac likes this

#7 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

Because they have tons of money to spend if they chose To?

That's not new, I admit.
  • tvagle likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#8 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,913 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

Why does it matter if some choose to be optimistic and some not? So what? That's the way I look at it ... I guess I'd rather be hopeful than grumble about a fait accompli, evidence or not. Anything's possible until it's not, so until it's not, I'd rather have hope in the possible ... despite what the probable might tell me.

• Jerr, Riverbrian, Dantes929 and 6 others like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#9 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,934 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

Why does it matter if some choose to be optimistic and some not? So what? That's the way I look at it ... I guess I'd rather be hopeful than grumble about a fait accompli, evidence or not. Anything's possible until it's not, so until it's not, I'd rather have hope in the possible ... despite what the probable might tell me.

I think he was asking if the Twins have given any indication that they will make a big splash during the offseason. 

I don't think anyone was saying one should or shouldn't be optimistic. That's an individual choice.

Edited by jimmer, 05 November 2017 - 06:51 PM.

• Hosken Bombo Disco, Platoon, KirbyDome89 and 1 other like this

#10 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

All together now: "You've gotta have heart, miles and miles of heart. When the odds are saying you'll never win, that's when the grin should start...yes, you gotta have heart." quoted from the great musical, "Damn Yankees". Pretty ironic, isn't it!

• USAFChief, Riverbrian and Ex-Iowegian like this

#11 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 20,913 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:57 PM

I think he was asking if the Twins have given any indication that they will make a big splash during the offseason. 

I don't think anyone was saying one should or shouldn't be optimistic. That's an individual choice.

He asked a question, I answered. I don't care if there is 'evidence' or not. I'm choosing to hope good things come. I don't think it's any worse an answer than 'because they never have.'

• birdwatcher, drjim and howieramone2 like this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#12 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

Prefer to ask the question Why Not?

Coming off first playoff game since 2010

Glaring need for top of rotation arms to compete at the playoff level (can't believe the Organization can't see this)

Continually falling short of 50% payroll promise(?) can't continue

Spending dollars doesn't mortgage the organizations future ability to compete by trading away young controllable assets

Plus what good Minnesota Fan doesn't have unrealistic expectations before a season starts each year

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, Jerr and 3 others like this

"We were open for business on several players, but just couldn't put a deal together that we liked...our biggest pickups will really be the return of All-Stars Sano and Santana as well as the Platinum Defensive player of the year in Buxton...adding those three to our lineup in the second half without mortgaging any future assets is really the best of both worlds"

#13 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,934 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

All together now: "You've gotta have heart, miles and miles of heart. When the odds are saying you'll never win, that's when the grin should start...yes, you gotta have heart." quoted from the great musical, "Damn Yankees". Pretty ironic, isn't it!

Or:

Woman Reporter: (Running to catch up with McGinty heading to the locker room for halftime) Coach, what will Washington need to get back into this game?
Jimmy McGinty: (pause) You've got to have heart.
Woman Reporter: Can you elaborate?
Jimmy McGinty: (striking his chest with his roll of papers) Miles and miles of heart.

• Riverbrian, tarheeltwinsfan and MN_ExPat like this

#14 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,934 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:02 PM

He asked a question, I answered. I don't care if there is 'evidence' or not. I'm choosing to hope good things come. I don't think it's any worse an answer than 'because they never have.'

I think we all hope they make a big splash.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,826 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:11 PM

My optimism doesn't come from any FO quotes I've seen. I'm optimistic the purse strings will be loosened because it's what I'd be doing as a GM, after a year of "let's find out what we've got" following a 59-win season, one that went better than many people forecast as likely.

• glunn, birdwatcher, Riverbrian and 6 others like this

Modesty, n.:Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

#16 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

I am optimistic the team will compete again in 2018, less optimistic they will sign a significant pitcher (or trade for one with a significant contract).

Edited by Hosken Bombo Disco, 05 November 2017 - 07:23 PM.

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:22 PM

-They can sign a pretty significant starter and reliever without even increasing the payroll that much.
-The Twins have signed fa starters for over $125mil in the last 5ish years, it's not like they are completely opposed to spending.
-When the team was expected to compete, such as 10 and 11, the payroll refected that.
-It makes great sense in payroll, competitive expectations, money coming off the books in upcoming seasons, clear roster need, and competitive cycle considerations - basically the current core is relatively cheap the next 4 years.

While there haven't been any quotes about spending specifically, the front office hasn't said anything about anything heading into this offseason, and I wouldn't believe anything they said anyways.
Papers...business papers.

#18 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,934 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:30 PM

Twins spent over 125M over a 5 year span and that was for how many pitchers and how much longer are the contracts?What was the average salary per year and the biggest contract?

Edited by jimmer, 05 November 2017 - 07:34 PM.

#19 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

Twins spent over 125M over a 5 year span and that was for how many pitchers?

Basically 2 and a mid sized deal.
Papers...business papers.

#20 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,934 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

Basically 2 and a mid sized deal.

Two-Three?That doesn't sound right.