Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Randy Rosario claimed by Cubs

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:49 PM

Has Rosario already used two options?

If that is the case, it seems like he wasn’t close to ready entering his last option season. With a low ceiling he would really need a floor of major league ready entering option 3 to keep on the 40. That kind of spot needs to go to someone who can shuttle back and forth from AAA.

One option year.He was added last off-season.Had 2 more left.

• Teddy likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#22 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:51 PM

https://www.cbssport...-40-man-roster/
  • PseudoSABR and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#23 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:20 PM

He probably won't be heard from again and maybe I'm in the minority but I thought he had a pretty good arm.I can see why a team would take a flier on him and see what their coaches can do with him.  

• Dman likes this

#24 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

I agree there are other options, but what makes you feel Boshers is more likely to be good in 2018? He's turning 30 and hasn't been good the past two years despite ample opportunities.

In 2017, Boshers averaged more K/9 and fewer BB/9 in the majors than Rosario did in AA. I consider better stats in the be a good predictor of success in the next year. Boshers is far from a star, but he’s more likely to contribute in 2018 than Rosario.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#25 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 3,402 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:37 AM

I sure hope they have better plans for the bullpen than Buddy Boshers. He is exactly what the pen doesn't need.

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,590 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:39 AM

Just to spell it out: he's been on the 40-man for two years, so one minor-league option remains.

My copy of the Out Of The Park game already had confirmed this for me. :)

• jorgenswest, PseudoSABR and tvagle like this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#27 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,289 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:39 AM

https://www.cbssport...-40-man-roster/

In 2015?

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#28 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:47 AM

When he got the somewhat surprising callup, I thought "seize this moment!"

Ultimately it's on the player, but a lot of these int'l prospects face a steep learning curve that many just aren't ready for. For his sake, I hope he gets another stable year of development.

#29 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,590 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

When he got the somewhat surprising callup, I thought "seize this moment!"

I saw the callup as strictly 40-man roster management. They temporarily needed an arm, they didn't want to drop someone in order to call someone else up, so up he came.

His brief tryout in the majors probably helped seal the decision that he wasn't making enough progress. It's too bad to have to make that decision on a 23-year old - MLB rules on protecting prospects probably do more harm than good for some players, rushing them needlessly, and a decision to sign a kid from the Domincan at age 17 involves too much gamesmanship for my taste.

• Dman likes this

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#30 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,494 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

I really believe that 16 and 17 year old international signings should get an extra year before they need to be added to the 40 man. It's just silly in my opinion that an 18 year old drafted out of US HS has the same 5 years that a 16 year old signed that same summer.

• ashburyjohn, Danchat, DocBauer and 6 others like this

#31 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

I saw the callup as strictly 40-man roster management. They temporarily needed an arm, they didn't want to drop someone in order to call someone else up, so up he came.

His brief tryout in the majors probably helped seal the decision that he wasn't making enough progress. It's too bad to have to make that decision on a 23-year old - MLB rules on protecting prospects probably do more harm than good for some players, rushing them needlessly, and a decision to sign a kid from the Domincan at age 17 involves too much gamesmanship for my taste.

On the flip side, maybe some of these guys get look sees that help them in the long run. Polanco's first call up, while seemingly uneventful, may have been a confidence booster, or given him exposure to decision makers who saw something they liked.

Of course, the flip side of THAT, is the fact Polanco himself was out of options this summer at a time he really could have used one. He had a lousy enough summer, joining the waiver wire Merry go round would've truly sucked for him--and Twins fans.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#32 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

In AA ball in 2017 Randy Rosario had a better WHIP, K/9 and BB/9 than Kohl Stewart. They are 5 months apart in age.

IMHO, had Stewart been a 5th round draftee Rosario would still be in the Twins org.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#33 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

In AA ball in 2017 Randy Rosario had a better WHIP, K/9 and BB/9 than Kohl Stewart. They are 5 months apart in age.
IMHO, had Stewart been a 5th round draftee Rosario would still be in the Twins org.

Stewart isn't on the 40 man and he's a starter. These two situations aren't especially comparable.
  • Danchat likes this
Papers...business papers.

#34 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

The Odd thing.... Rosario lasted to a playoff team in the other league (meaning he almost got thru) but Palka got pick up by a horrible team in this league. Would have thought it would be the other way around. 

It's so unpredictable. I'd be curious to know what percentage of players are actually claimed. I'd guess it's very small, but sometimes that claim can really hurt later on.

#35 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:46 AM

It's so unpredictable. I'd be curious to know what percentage of players are actually claimed. I'd guess it's very small, but sometimes that claim can really hurt later on.

You are looking a players just a bit better than rule v draftees.There will be the occasional player that a team misses on, or that develops far later. So far nobody has come up with the minor league player the team whiffed on.

#36 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

A minor league player who can throw 95. If only there was some team with an oft injured arbitration eligible player that they wanted to dump.The Twins could have made a deal

Edited by old nurse, 04 November 2017 - 11:50 AM.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#37 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,400 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

Just to spell it out: he's been on the 40-man for two years, so one minor-league option remains.

this is correct. he has used two options so far. One remaining.

• Teddy likes this

#38 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:55 AM

In a few years he might be a useful piece somewhere. Somewhere on the 40 man roster there is a minor league player that will not produce anything at the major league level. Sometimes that is how it goes.I have no clue what Rosario could be, Liam Hendriks comes to mind. I doubt if he will be vintage Perkins.

Edited by The Wise One, 05 November 2017 - 01:56 AM.

#39 Teddy

Teddy

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:39 AM

I am giving the benefit of the doubt to Falvine in the hope that they have a plan in place. With that, I'm just as OK with losing these two guys as I was losing Adam Brett Walker last year.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#40 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:57 PM

I really believe that 16 and 17 year old international signings should get an extra year before they need to be added to the 40 man. It's just silly in my opinion that an 18 year old drafted out of US HS has the same 5 years that a 16 year old signed that same summer.

Under the rules as currently configured, I agree. However, maybe it would be better to increase by one year the age allowed for international signings. Or decrease by one year the age allowed for Americans.