Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Randy Rosario claimed by Cubs

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

The 40 man work begins.
  • glunn likes this
Papers...business papers.

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,651 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

Can we get this thread to hit 10 pages?

• Danchat likes this

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:35 PM

Good guy. Fun-loving. Very talented. Numbers just haven't matched the stuff.
  • dgwills and tvagle like this

#4 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

On the surface, this seems like an odd pick-up for the Cubs, but Rosario is still young. Sure he looks like he is 2 years out, but if they are patient this might pay off.

#5 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Administrators
  • 962 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

Still young, still left-handed. Lefties only hit .175 off him last season. Ground ball rate was 52%. His minor league numbers were really tainted by two poor outings in early Aug. Gave up 7 ER in 0.2 IP, then 6 ER in 1.1 IP. I can see why another team would be interested, but there was not enough room for him on the Twins' 40-man roster. Hate to lose guys for nothing, but this is a good problem to have.

• birdwatcher, Cory Engelhardt, Dman and 2 others like this

#6 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:00 PM

Could be a decent player for a team that actually uses LOOGY's.
That wasn't going to happen under Molitor.

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,585 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

I would have rather dropped Boshers than Rosario.

Though to be fair that has more to do with Boshers.
  • Carole Keller, Twins33, Danchat and 6 others like this

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,154 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:32 PM

I would have rather dropped Boshers than Rosario.

Donuts to dollars, Boshers (and O'Rourke and Turley) will also be dropped; just nobody will claim them. 

Rogers, Enns, and Moya are ahead of them and the Twins will likely hopefully get an even better LHRP this offseason.

• Dman, Tom Froemming, Original Whizzinator and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

The problem you face when you put non-major league reada guys on the 40-man. If you HAVE to remove them, they are grabbed by another organization who also has the chice to keep them on the 40-man or continue the waiver run.

Left-handed pitchers can do good. Randy MIGHT be a keeper. He might not.

Let's see, how many pithers had a cup of coffee with the Twins, never to be heard from again:

Jason Wheeler

Randy Rosario

Tim Melville

Nick Tepesch

Chris Heston

Adam Wilk

Drew Rucinski

Alex Wimmers

Justin Haley

and possibly soon

Duetrich Enns

Nik Turley

• mikelink45 and Hollywood42 like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#10 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

Good guy. Fun-loving. Very talented. Numbers just haven't matched the stuff.

I feel like that statement could apply to a lot of our pitching prospects.

• Platoon likes this

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,906 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

Good luck to him. Last year in his brief time with the big league club his stuff looked good. He's still a good year or 2 away.

Also concur I'd rather keep him than Boshers. Hopefully they have bigger goals for a LHRP.

#12 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

Goodrum outrighted.

Palka claimed by the Whiteys.

#13 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:33 PM

This may be a minority opinion, but I’d rather keep Boshers than Rosario. Boshers is much more likely to be a good pitcher in 2018. For years after 2018, there are several better candidates in the minors. Haven’t looked into it, but it seems surprising that the Cubs would have a 40-man spot for him. It may just be Rosario’s first stop on the carousel that Adam Walker traveled last winter.

P.S. I expect Buddy Boshers to be in Rochester coming out of spring training, to be used only if necessary. Hopefully, if he’s on the team, he’s no higher than the fifth lefty reliever.

Edited by Deduno Abides, 03 November 2017 - 04:44 PM.

• TRex likes this

#14 rdehring

rdehring

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:01 PM

Great to see them making these decisions early.To me, Palka was an easy decision.Granite is their 5th outfielder who will begin the season in Rochester.Wade is moving up to be next in line with Rooker hot on his heels.

As for Rosario, that could also have been expected.Rosario vs. Stewart, Rosario vs. Thorpe, Rosario vs. Chargois, Rosario vs. Burdi, Rosario vs. Bard, Rosario vs. Littell, Rosario vs. Moya, Rosario vs. Jorge, Rosario vs. Slegers, Rosario vs. Enns.That's 10 pitchers who probably all get the nod ahead of him, and there probably won't be room for all of those 10.  

• SwainZag, Dman, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,585 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

This may be a minority opinion, but I’d rather keep Boshers than Rosario. Boshers is much more likely to be a good pitcher in 2018. For years after 2018, there are several better candidates in the minors.

I agree there are other options, but what makes you feel Boshers is more likely to be good in 2018? He's turning 30 and hasn't been good the past two years despite ample opportunities.

#16 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:33 PM

I'm having a hard making sense of this. He's a lefty that throws 95+. Those don't exactly grow on trees, certainly not in this system. Of course he's not going to make it through waivers.

I hope it's one of many more moves to come, because I could come up with a list of guys that I'd take off the 40-man, and probably are more likely to get through waivers.

I'll reserve judgement until I see more. But, this feels like one we'll see having success elsewhere down the road.

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

I'm having a hard making sense of this. He's a lefty that throws 95+. Those don't exactly grow on trees, certainly not in this system. Of course he's not going to make it through waivers.

I hope it's one of many more moves to come, because I could come up with a list of guys that I'd take off the 40-man, and probably are more likely to get through waivers.

I'll reserve judgement until I see more. But, this feels like one we'll see having success elsewhere down the road.

Fear not, there will be plenty more.

#18 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:24 PM

I thought we had something in Palka when we sent Herrmann in that trade. I guess that means we "lost" the trade but I don't think Herrmann was going to be on the team anyways. I was hoping Palka would be able to hit his way to the majors but it just didn't happen.

I recently attempted to calculate WAR in the NFL over on Purple Pain forums. Click here to check out my article.

#19 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 480 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:29 PM

The Odd thing.... Rosario lasted to a playoff team in the other league (meaning he almost got thru) but Palka got pick up by a horrible team in this league. Would have thought it would be the other way around. 

• ashburyjohn, nicksaviking, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

#20 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:46 PM

Has Rosario already used two options?

If that is the case, it seems like he wasn’t close to ready entering his last option season. With a low ceiling he would really need a floor of major league ready entering option 3 to keep on the 40. That kind of spot needs to go to someone who can shuttle back and forth from AAA.
  • PseudoSABR likes this