Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Part 1: Seth's Updated Top 50 Prospects (41-50)

jt chargois luke bard trey cabbage jaylin davis tom hackimer
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

Dang, our system must be super deep if these guys are the 41-50 prospects! These guys are all super talented and could make an impact at one point or another, not just a bunch of no name "will never make it to the majors" type of guys
  • 70charger likes this

#22 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

Two things stand out--these aren't obscure names.  There are some well-known guys in this bunch (well known by me at least.)

I was able to go out to 100 a few weeks ago without a lot of trouble. The biggest issue was who to leave off, especially among relievers, as the Twins do have a significant amount of guys who have a legit chance of a major league career of some variety in the bullpen, and that's of value for sure.

Already hearing buzz from guys of the Twins having a top 10 system, and the more talk that there is about the system, the more people seem to really like the depth.

• 70charger likes this

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#23 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

Don’t get too worked up about minor league relievers. They are in the pen in the minors due to flaws. The best pitchers are almost always in the rotation. History of the Twins (Aguilera, Guadado, Perkins ...) and most other teams is that the best relievers are failed starters. The future of the pen probably rests with May as well as Gonsalves, Romero, Jorge, and other current minor league starters. That is not to say that a couple of the current crop of minor league relievers won’t pitch in the majors, but exposing them to other teams doesn’t mean they will be lost (see Mason Melotakis).

That once was true. That has significantly changed in the last decade or so, to the point where teams are intentionally developing guys in the bullpen and choosing not to develop them as starters. Certainly, the decision to move them to the bullpen is happening sooner now than it ever was before with guys who have the chance to be legit elite relievers. There's good reason to get behind certain guys, but there's also a lot of "feel" on relievers. A guy that Seth watches throw 3 pitches in the bullpen and top out at 92 from the left side could look like a LOOGY at best sort of guy, but I watch him and see something in his slider that makes me think he could have a shot at working against both sides - and either one of us could be right.

Like Seth, I often discount guys in the bullpen a tick or two because they're in the bullpen, but you cannot deny a guy who has shown elite stuff and health up to the upper minors. That's when those guys start ranking in top 15-20 range, even as a reliever.

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!

#24 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

Next year will be pretty big for Cabbage. He needs to start hitting otherwise they'll let him go.

I like Davis and hope he can continue to develop for us.

As to the relief pitchers, I don't really care that much. Low level pitchers generally can put up insane strike out numbers b/c the batters they are facing aren't going to go much further than rookie league ball. So take those numbers with a huge grain of salt. But it is nice having a lot of potential closer arms in the system even if, individually, they probably aren't that impressive.

Davis is fun to watch play the game. He's a guy who you can tell understands how lucky he is to be playing the game now after losing a season and having that chance possibly taken away from him (his injury to his shoulder was pretty gruesome). Hard not to cheer for a guy like that.

• gunnarthor likes this

#25 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:34 PM

I'm really excited to see what Benninghoff can do. He's one of those guys you gamble with after the 10th round if you've got the pool money to do it. He got mid-third round money, so there's got to be some real projection there.

• gunnarthor likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jt chargois, luke bard, trey cabbage, jaylin davis, tom hackimer