Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Mauer Snubbed In Gold Glove Voting

joe mauer minnesota twins rawlings gold glove
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,260 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

Another reason Mauer should be on the list: Lack of errors. He had 2 errors all season – Hosmer had 4 errors and Moreland and Santana each had 5 errors. A steady defender all season long... Mauer got robbed.

But in how many chances?

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#22 caninatl04

caninatl04

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:06 PM

Another reason Mauer was snubbed: Lack of errors. Mauer had two errors all season long - Hosmer had 4, Santana and Moreland 5 each. Mauer was robbed!

And wasn't one of the two errors on a foul ball when the batter eventually did not get on base?

• Jerr likes this

#23 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,260 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:08 PM

Mauer should probably be there ahead of Hosmer, but I wonder if innings played would say otherwise.

Mauer 1040.2 innings

Moreland 1170 innings

Santana 1225.2 innings

Hosmer 1338 innings

Mauer is more than 14 full games behind the next guy on the list, and 33 games behind Hosmer. That does matter.

I do get the innings played and how that may have entered into the decision, and I think is a valid point for not winning, but that he didn't even make top of the list is more than surprising to me ... but then again, it just validates the worthlessness this award has become.

• Jerr likes this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#24 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,552 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

I understand it's the only data we have at the moment, but I suspect people are getting a little worked up about the top 3 when the winners will probably shake out in a perfectly acceptable manner.
Papers...business papers.

#25 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

No one has mentioned, but maybe it's just me or I don't understand, but if this is generated by coaches across the league, is Mauer liked as a player by other teams?

Not exactly someone who impresses at a cocktail party.

#26 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

He does seem to talk a lot at first base - maybe he annoys the other players.(kidding - and I have heard he actually has a sense of humor in real life).

I suspect the players and coaches don't have a lot of time to watch the other players except when they are playing against them, don't study their stats from the current season, and vote more on the player's general reputation rather than who actually deserves if for the current season.I think that is why it sometimes takes a deserving player a few years to get in the running and why they often are still considered after their defense has slipped.

• Circus Boy and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#27 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:14 AM

Maybe they ought to use a different voting method.The Golden Glove is probably the most joke award there is.Mauer not included while Dozier is mystifing at best.  

• 70charger and spinowner like this

#28 Ski U Mah Gopher

Ski U Mah Gopher

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

Is there a stat for errors prevented? Because Joe bailed out Sano & Polanco more times than I can remember.

• ChiTownTwinsFan and Jerr like this

#29 pogofan

pogofan

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

Here are the leaders in several metrics, old school, new school and in between, among qualified (per fangraphs) AL 1B, with Mauer's ranking also included:

Plus Minus: Moreland; Mauer 3rd
Defensive Runs Saved: Santana, Moreland tie; Mauer 3rd
RZR:Valencia (yes that one); Mauer 3rd
Out of Zone plays made: Smoak; Mauer 4th
UZR:Mauer 1st
Fangraphs Def: Mauer 1st
Fielding percentage: Valencia & Cabrera tie; Mauer 3rd
Inside Edge 90-100% plays made: Moreland; Mauer 6th
Range Factor: Abreu; Mauer 7th

Should Mauer objectively be a finalist:Probably.Was he outrageously snubbed?Not really.

Nothing on that list justifies Hosner's presence among the finalists.I'd call his inclusion over Mauer's an outrageous snub.

• RaymondLuxuryYacht likes this

#30 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,552 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

Nothing on that list justifies Hosner's presence among the finalists. I'd call his inclusion over Mauer's an outrageous snub.

I think you can make an argument just based on innings played, amd based on the volatility of defensive metrics, giving some weight to previous seasons is not egregious.

Plus, there is a decent chance that Mauer ended up 4th. Is it really an outrageous snub to.be 4th instead of 3rd?
  • Thrylos likes this
Papers...business papers.

#31 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,105 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:23 AM

Nothing on that list justifies Hosner's presence among the finalists.I'd call his inclusion over Mauer's an outrageous snub.

Exactly

#32 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

I think you can make an argument just based on innings played, amd based on the volatility of defensive metrics, giving some weight to previous seasons is not egregious.

Plus, there is a decent chance that Mauer ended up 4th. Is it really an outrageous snub to.be 4th instead of 3rd?

Agree to disagree that previous seasons should be a consideration at all.
This is a yearly award.
  • WLFINN likes this

#33 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,105 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

Agree to disagree that previous seasons should be a consideration at all.
This is a yearly award.

exactly

#34 davidc3915

davidc3915

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

The selection process for the Gold Gloves has become a complete joke in recent years, and to me at least, devalues the award.  That said, if Buxton does not win, we riot!!!!!

• 70charger, spinowner and bobs like this

#35 bobs

bobs

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

The eye test says Mauer should be a finalist.Even today's hallowed advanced metrics say Mauer should be a finalist.Further evidence that the Gold Glove is the biggest joke of the major awards.17 errors total from left side of Twins' infield says it all...that number is doubledif not for Mauer.We probably shouldn't get too worked up about it b/c I doubt Joe gives a s--t if he wins it or not.

• spinowner likes this

#36 bobs

bobs

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

The selection process for the Gold Gloves has become a complete joke in recent years, and to me at least, devalues the award.  That said, if Buxton does not win, we riot!!!!!

Torches and Pitchforks!!

• Thrylos likes this

#37 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:59 PM

Just a beauty contest. It all comes down to how much you fill the swimsuit.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#38 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

Just a beauty contest. It all comes down to how much you fill the swimsuit.

Then why is Mitch Moreland a finalist?

#39 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,260 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:23 PM

Since I think the GG award is pretty much useless at this point, I don't think anything is truly egregious, except maybe the award itself, I do think it laughable Mauer not receive consideration. If innings played is a consideration, then they should up the line for qualifying, especially if it is the difference maker for voters. I also think one of the above posters made an interesting point ... errors saved ... although that's truly hard to qualify, but from my eye test, I'd say Mauer had plenty of those from Polanco and Sano. But then ... I couldn't say how many of those any of the others had, either.

#40 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

Torches and Pitchforks!!

Get 'em ready.

Buxton is a no brainer to us who watch him, probably the most amazing CF I've ever seen. Baseball likes to honor the usual suspects tho, and Mauer's treatment is pretty typical of how I expect this to go down.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: joe mauer, minnesota twins, rawlings, gold glove