Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Here's Your Chance To Weigh In On Bat Flips

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: Bat Flips (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Flipping your bat is...

1. Good (16 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Bad (8 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Who cares (24 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,789 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

This is a good point. It’s odd that throwing at people is acceptable but celebrating is considered inappropriate.

That's the part that bothers me most about old school vs. new school baseball. Hopefully with the rise of young managers taking over baseball teams throwing at people in retaliation of a home run becomes a thing of the past. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#22 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,478 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

If the old skool has issues with bat flipping should also have issues with pitchers pumping their fists after strikeouts and the such.

• Mike Sixel likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#23 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,854 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

Seems like pitchers can act any way they want but the batters have to follow stupid unwritten rules so as not to hurt the pitchers' feelings.

I am pro bat flip. Then again, I am against most old school views in sports.

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,160 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

you also don't play a competitive sport, with tons of adrenaline and excitement for work....where you fail more than you succeed, and a moment can literally change everything about how you and the people you work with are viewed, now, and thru history, publicly.

And nobody has a problem with Kirby reacting with great joy after a walk off, or Joe Carter. Nobody. It was joyous, unrehearsed, directed at nobody.

Yasiel Puig's "reaction" was exactly the opposite. Zero joy. Calculated. Preplanned. Directed at the pitcher, specifically to taunt.

If you like that sort of thing, great. Me? Plant one in his *** next opening day. The game is bigger than Yadiel Puig, and I enjoy watching it more without that crap.
  • Blake, Oldgoat_MN, SwainZag and 4 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#25 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

Seems like pitchers can act any way they want but the batters have to follow stupid unwritten rules so as not to hurt the pitchers' feelings.

I'm cool with pitchers, batters, fielders, anyone being emotional.It's the physical process of flipping a bat that seems absurd to me.What if a pitcher made a big strikeout then flung his glove or hat away in celebration?What if an outfielder made a big catch then spiked the ball and started doing the worm?That's what I equate bat flips to.

Edited by Respy, 26 October 2017 - 06:13 PM.

• USAFChief and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#26 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 4,859 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

And nobody has a problem with Kirby reacting with great joy after a walk off, or Joe Carter. Nobody. It was joyous, unrehearsed, directed at nobody.

Yasiel Puig's "reaction" was exactly the opposite. Zero joy. Calculated. Preplanned. Directed at the pitcher, specifically to taunt.

If you like that sort of thing, great. Me? Plant one in his *** next opening day. The game is bigger than Yadiel Puig, and I enjoy watching it more without that crap.

I was talking to a rabid Dodgers fan last night and he wasn't all that impressed with Puig. Which I found to be somewhat of a surprise. (There were some rabid Dodger fans in Laughlin last night. I found the eveningto be rather enjoyable later on. Funny how that works. Yeah, I'm pulling for Houston.)

#27 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,501 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

Being more than a little expert in the art of passive-aggressive behavior, I happened to enjoy Puig's anti-flip upon repeated views. :)

• jimmer likes this

Everyone hates me because I got cured of paranoia and they didn't.

#28 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

I don't get this at all. I've also seen plenty of the "stare down the pitcher" commentary on what Puig did. He did not stare at the pitcher at all - he watched the home run leave, then looked out to see that the pitcher was looking, and then he placed his bat down.

As a pitcher, I was always zeroed in on every hitter individually as an overarching goal of completing the inning, and, further, the game. After that fight with the individual was won or lost, there was a level of exuberance or disappointment. Being able to generate that exuberance into a display at the end of the individual is not "showing up" as much as it could very well be a "tip of the cap" to someone just as well.

Puig's background has plenty of people after him, but he's also the guy who was joking with and hugging Javy Baez after the finger wag at second base as well. He's a guy who plays with emotion, but he's learned how to direct that emotion. If a pitcher has previously called out bat flips, he very well may lay down the bat as a point of statement. I have no issue with that whatsoever as he's not starting the fight, he's responding to previous statements.

• jimmer likes this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#29 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

I'm cool with pitchers, batters, fielders, anyone being emotional.It's the physical process of flipping a bat that seems absurd to me.What if a pitcher made a big strikeout then flung his glove or hat away in celebration?What if an outfielder made a big catch then spiked the ball and started doing the worm?That's what I equate bat flips to.

That's a ridiculous comparison. Comparing apples and pine cones (well, they both come off of trees, so must be comparable! level of equation).

• jimmer likes this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#30 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

I was talking to a rabid Dodgers fan last night and he wasn't all that impressed with Puig. Which I found to be somewhat of a surprise. (There were some rabid Dodger fans in Laughlin last night. I found the eveningto be rather enjoyable later on. Funny how that works. Yeah, I'm pulling for Houston.)

Dodger fans are mixed on Puig. You get the old curmudgeons just like you do anywhere else. FWIW, Scully loves him and his enthusiasm for the game. He commented once that Puig reminds him of how Negro League baseball was played - before those same players were forced to conform to "white baseball" code of conduct BS.

• jimmer likes this

#31 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

I know when I write a good email I usually flip a bunch of papers off my desk.

When I'm powerlifting, I get on par psyched when I finish my last rep of my last set of squats during a week of rep work as I do when I do a single-rep max weight lift. That level of exhilaration is not uncommon for many in athletics. 

#32 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

When I'm powerlifting, I get on par psyched when I finish my last rep of my last set of squats during a week of rep work as I do when I do a single-rep max weight lift. That level of exhilaration is not uncommon for many in athletics.

Cool.
  • SwainZag likes this
Papers...business papers.

#33 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:14 PM

The bat flip is no more spontaneous than the setting the bat down, doing duck duck goose or any other celebration.

• USAFChief and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#34 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

you don't celebrate at work, when you make progress on something, or do something well, or finish something? Tough work environment.

No, I don't. celebrate doing something well at work It is called a job. You are paid to good work

#35 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 6,126 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

I'm going to pioneer a national flip your bat at work day.

OSHA may not approve, but they've never been fun anyway.

• USAFChief and Oldgoat_MN like this

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club

#36 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:21 PM

Look at the game in 2015 when the Twins scored those runs in the 9th inning to beat Detroit. Dozier hit that great dinger to win the game and was very, VERY demonstrative but there was nothing, NOTHING directed at Joakim Soria or any of the Tigers.

It's simple. Exhibit good sportsmanship.

• USAFChief, Oldgoat_MN and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#37 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

I may be the only one here, but I don't like it. I just never have liked putting someone down when I have just beaten that person. Nor have I enjoyed being put down when I have just lost. I don't show off in court when I win an emotional case, I simply put my files in my briefcase, shake hands with the opposing counsel and walk out with my client. I don't do it playing a game of cards with my buddies. I just was raised not to do it. Maybe it's because I was raised Presbyterian, where the men are good looking, the women are strong and the children don't celebrate victories.

• SwainZag and spinowner like this

#38 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:44 PM

Look at the game in 2015 when the Twins scored those runs in the 9th inning to beat Detroit. Dozier hit that great dinger to win the game and was very, VERY demonstrative but there was nothing, NOTHING directed at Joakim Soria or any of the Tigers.

It's simple. Exhibit good sportsmanship.

I agree 100%. 

• Oldgoat_MN and spinowner like this

#39 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,501 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:55 PM

OSHA may not approve, but they've never been fun anyway.

Plunk 'em next time they're up and they'll change their tune.

• snepp and Oldgoat_MN like this

Everyone hates me because I got cured of paranoia and they didn't.

#40 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,160 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:32 PM

I may be the only one here, but I don't like it. I just never have liked putting someone down when I have just beaten that person. Nor have I enjoyed being put down when I have just lost. I don't show off in court when I win an emotional case, I simply put my files in my briefcase, shake hands with the opposing counsel and walk out with my client. I don't do it playing a game of cards with my buddies. I just was raised not to do it. Maybe it's because I was raised Presbyterian, where the men are good looking, the women are strong and the children don't celebrate victories.

You're not the only one here.
  • spinowner likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.