Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Here's Your Chance To Weigh In On Bat Flips

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Poll: Bat Flips (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Flipping your bat is...

1. Good (11 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Bad (6 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. Who cares (16 votes [48.48%])

Percentage of vote: 48.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

This seems like a divisive topic for whatever reason.

Baseball's "old guard" seems to dislike the idea of a player flipping their bat ten feet in the air and disrespects the pitcher. Meanwhile, you have pitchers like the Dodgers' Kanley Jansen who said after the game "You can do whatever you want to if you hit me out, I don’t care. You got me."

(Then you have Yasiel Puig who went the other direction and overtly set the bat down after glancing at the pitcher.)

Personally, I love it. I love it so hard. It's a great moment. Baseball is supposed to be fun and, to me, this is a way of expressing that. So, what do you think? Where do you stand on the idea of bat flipping?

• Blake and jimmer like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,021 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:35 AM

Always been for bat flipping. Emotions run high in baseball. Especially the post season. Have fun celebrating a good thing!

Most of all, don't plunk the batter on their next PA just because he hit a home run and flipped his bat.
  • Deduno Abides likes this

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,308 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

Always been pro. Very much pro.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#4 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:43 AM

I'm pro as long as it's a big moment similar to these.  Regular season or post season as long as the game is close I'm fine with it.  If your team is up big with only a few innings left then I don't see the purpose other than to show up the other team.  Basically what Jose Ramirez did a few seasons ago against the Twins.  Also, I'm not a fan of Puig staring down the pitcher right after his homerun.  By all mean pimp the sh*t out of your homerun but don't star down the pitcher.

Edit:  It's probably easier to celebrate if you're the opposing team because your dugout is on the first base side.

Edited by SF Twins Fan, 26 October 2017 - 11:45 AM.

• Oldgoat_MN and sftwinsfan like this

#5 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:45 AM

I don't have much problem, especially in high emotional times since as game winners and any playoff situation.

I do fear a little, that if the gates open widely for bat flips, the game could become more circus-like than I would prefer, and I'm not especially keen on showing up players or having pre thought out celebrations. Tough balance with the obviously true point that baseball is at its core fun. But spontaneous reactions in big moments strike me as a no brainer.

• SF Twins Fan likes this
Papers...business papers.

#6 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:48 AM

I'm pro as long as it's a big moment similar to these.  Regular season or post season as long as the game is close I'm fine with it.  If your team is up big with only a few innings left then I don't see the purpose other than to show up the other team.  Basically what Jose Ramirez did a few seasons ago against the Twins.  Also, I'm not a fan of Puig staring down the pitcher right after his homerun.  By all mean pimp the sh*t out of your homerun but don't star down the pitcher.

Edit:  It's probably easier to celebrate if you're the opposing team because your dugout is on the first base side.

Kurt Suzuki seems to be a huge protector of the unwritten rule. In addition to being one of the more animated yellers during the Ramirez pimp job, he was also lecturing Jose Bautista at the end of his home run this year...

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#7 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

A starter, please.

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

Staring down the pitcher crosses the line. Bush league behavior.

If bat flips get common then we'll see a guy flipping his bat after a first inning home run and we'll think that looks stupid.

When the game is on the line? I like the emotion.

• bizaff likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,308 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

Staring down the pitcher crosses the line. Bush league behavior.

If bat flips get common then we'll see a guy flipping his bat after a first inning home run and we'll think that looks stupid.

When the game is on the line? I like the emotion.

Who is this "we" you speak of that will think it looks stupid, because I won't. Celebrate! Enjoy life. You only have a couple handfuls of decades here, enjoy the bleep out of them.

#9 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

A starter, please.

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

Who is this "we" you speak of that will think it looks stupid, because I won't. Celebrate! Enjoy life. You only have a couple handfuls of decades here, enjoy the bleep out of them.

Fair enough. I should have said ‘I’.
In the NFL I’ve seen where a guy celebrates a touchdown with an elaborate dance. Except that his team is still down by over 20 points and there is almost no time on the clock.
For that player it has ceased to become a team sport.

Bat flips in the bottom of the ninth when still down by 6 runs? OK, but they are celebrating themselves. The team has become secondary.

• drjim, sftwinsfan and SF Twins Fan like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,608 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:25 PM

Kurt Suzuki seems to be a huge protector of the unwritten rule. In addition to being one of the more animated yellers during the Ramirez pimp job, he was also lecturing Jose Bautista at the end of his home run this year...

With all the HRs Bautista hit at Target Field you'd think Suzuki would be over it by now.
  • ashburyjohn, Parker Hageman and Mike Sixel like this

#11 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 19,768 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

Honest emotion, not disrespectful of the game, or other players? Great.

Calculated, "look at me" preening? Disrespectful asshattery? Baseball is better without it.
  • Oldgoat_MN, drjim, bizaff and 6 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,308 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

Honest emotion, not disrespectful of the game, or other players? Great.

Calculated, "look at me" preening? Disrespectful asshattery? Baseball is better without it.

that's a fine line, since "disrespectful" has some pretty wide meaning.....but sure, I'm generally in agreement, if old, mostly white, players and coaches can lighten up....

Edited by Mike Sixel, 26 October 2017 - 01:33 PM.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#13 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:55 PM

My coaches, including summer camps with Dick Siebert, were mostly concerned with my not hitting anyone when I tossed my bat. Siebert never got near the area code of “Don’t pimp your flip.” Count me among the “Who cares” set.

#14 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

Always been for bat flipping. Emotions run high in baseball. Especially the post season. Have fun celebrating a good thing!
Most of all, don't plunk the batter on their next PA just because he hit a home run and flipped his bat.

This is a good point. It’s odd that throwing at people is acceptable but celebrating is considered inappropriate.
  • Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#15 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

Just as long as we don't have the Twins sitting down in a circle along the first base line after a homerun to play a game of Duck Duck *Grey Duck.* 

Honestly I think that bat flips are immature and childish.I did it once in middle school and realized how dumb it was.Act like you've hit a few homeruns before.But, it's fine if they keep doing it if they want.I don't think it's any kind of moral attack on the pitcher.But if you do it, I'm allowed to judge you.Same as it was my right to judge Randy Moss' behavior with the Vikings.If there's no rules prohibiting it, do whatever you want.

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,308 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

Just as long as we don't have the Twins sitting down in a circle along the first base line after a homerun to play a game of Duck Duck *Grey Duck.* 

Honestly I think that bat flips are immature and childish.I did it once in middle school and realized how dumb it was.Act like you've hit a few homeruns before.But, it's fine if they keep doing it if they want.I don't think it's any kind of moral attack on the pitcher.But if you do it, I'm allowed to judge you.Same as it was my right to judge Randy Moss' behavior with the Vikings.If there's no rules prohibiting it, do whatever you want.

you don't celebrate at work, when you make progress on something, or do something well, or finish something? Tough work environment.

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:13 PM

you don't celebrate at work, when you make progress on something, or do something well, or finish something? Tough work environment.

I know when I write a good email I usually flip a bunch of papers off my desk.
  • ashburyjohn, Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

#18 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:17 PM

Plus, I don't think anyone is ever against high fives or handshakes after a win. There is still plenty of celebrating happening out there.
  • USAFChief and spinowner like this

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,308 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

Plus, I don't think anyone is ever against high fives or handshakes after a win. There is still plenty of celebrating happening out there.

you also don't play a competitive sport, with tons of adrenaline and excitement for work....where you fail more than you succeed, and a moment can literally change everything about how you and the people you work with are viewed, now, and thru history, publicly.

#20 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

you also don't play a competitive sport, with tons of adrenaline and excitement for work....where you fail more than you succeed, and a moment can literally change everything about how you and the people you work with are viewed, now, and thru history, publicly.

I think two things are being thought if here. Bat flips during playoffs and high intensity, which seems mostly thought of and ok, and overall increases throughout the season, which is a little more uncertain and might not be as enjoyable for everyone.

Hitting a random HR in June in the 3rd inning strikes me as different than a playoff HR.
  • SF Twins Fan likes this