Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Girardi Out as Yankees Manager

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:03 PM

I could easily imagine a scenario where it goes sideways with the wrong manager.

But my point is, the net result wouldn't be much different.
I honestly believe that the Bronx is the one place where regular season success means nothing.

#22 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:10 PM

I honestly believe that the Bronx is the one place where regular season success means nothing.

That's true in the sense that it's basically taken for granted and there hasn't been a sub 500 season in 2 decades.

They likely have enough talent that it shouldn't be a problem next year.
Papers...business papers.

#23 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

That's true in the sense that it's basically taken for granted and there hasn't been a sub 500 season in 2 decades.

They likely have enough talent that it shouldn't be a problem next year.

And with their resources, that's never going to change, no matter who the manager is.
They expect a WS title every 3 to 4 years.
May not be fair or realistic, but that's the expectation.
  • spinowner likes this

#24 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• Members
  • 4,471 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

I have a lot of respect for Girardi. He was at the helm in 2009 when the Yanks won the WS. The last handful of years I thought he did pretty well given that he had some flawed rosters and a lot of drama. For the most part, I thought he was able to fit a circle peg into a square hole. I thought his squad overachieved this year. Saying that, I don't know the NY state of mind baseball wise and maybe there are things behind the scenes that were dysfunctional.

He won't have any problem landing a managerial job again if one is open.

• Mike Sixel likes this

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#25 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

John Farrell and Dusty Baker would agree this year. Davey JohnsonTerry Collins, maybe even Ron Washington would think you are right  

#26 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:28 PM

Strikes me that NY must have someone in mind before they would let Girardi go.

He was calm in a storm, and it storms a lot in NY City.

Who could they have in mind?

#27 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:59 PM

...and then there is Girardi just wants a break. Change can be invigorating. Plus, how many years can go by with LA not winning the series before they make a change?

#28 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:50 AM

Well news came out that the Yankees decided not to bring him back and it wasn't as mutual as first reported.One rumor being that Girardi lacked a "human element".

• Mike Sixel likes this

#29 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:19 AM

Well news came out that the Yankees decided not to bring him back and it wasn't as mutual as first reported.One rumor being that Girardi lacked a "human element".

Baseball by analytics de-emphasizes a human element is involved in the game.

#30 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,101 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

You are arguing having Tex, who couldn't walk, ARod, who wasn't playing, Jeter who couldn't field or hit, and other dinosaurs was a good thing? I don't think the Yankees are who you think they are, anymore.

the sold last year, and almost made the wild card. They were not supposed to contend this year, as it was a youth movement year, and they beat the Twins in the playoffs.

All three of those guys were a lot better at the end than you remember. Tex gave them a 144 OPS+, 4 WAR season for them in his second to last year. I don't see how anyone can look at the last decade of Yankees baseball and not think they underachieved. He had the #1 or #2 payroll every year. Never had a payroll less than 216m(!) and won one world series. 

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,972 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

All three of those guys were a lot better at the end than you remember. Tex gave them a 144 OPS+, 4 WAR season for them in his second to last year. I don't see how anyone can look at the last decade of Yankees baseball and not think they underachieved. He had the #1 or #2 payroll every year. Never had a payroll less than 216m(!) and won one world series. 

I really like you, but that is some awesome cherry picking on Tex....by fwar:

2013: 15 games,-.1 WAR

2014: 123 games, 1.0 WAR

2015: 111 games,2.9 WAR (hey, a good year!)

2016: 116 games,-1.1 WAR

AROD:

2.1 WAR

.5 WAR

2.7 WAR

-1.2 WAR

those two alone are around 50MM of that huge budget.....

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#32 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:28 PM

They expect a WS title every 3 to 4 years.

I think it's worse than that. I think they feel they are entitled to a WS title every 3 to 4 years.

eiπ + 1 = 0