Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Sickels Top 20

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:48 AM

I definitely don't see that in his comments. I see mid rotation potential and could be a #3 if healthy and should be ready sometime in 2018. With the lack of any sort of depth in the rotation I think this is a bad plan.

The fun of baseball is all the differing opinions - none of which we can prove - we can only wait, but I would like to see

​Berrios

Santana

Gibson - actually I expect him, but don't necessarily want him

Gonsalves

Mejia

Romero the first in when the inevitable happens.  

Sleger number seven in the rotation sequence.

I can ride with that another year and see where all the bats and maturity develops before we spend for that "last Piece".  

In some ways I am concerned that their bats might not meet our expectations - Kepler regressed, can he progress?Who is Sano - can he put it together.Does Byron have a full season of great coming?Is Rosario going to plateau or progress?Is Polanco the answer?Can Mauer continue his upsurge in his advancing years and advancing contract?

Lots of fuel for the hot stove and we haven't even covered the bullpen.

• Dantes929, NoCryingInBaseball, Dman and 3 others like this

#42 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

The point is, we were the second youngest team in baseball last season based on weighted playing time. The current farm system is very deep, with most of the future star power being teenagers. Our franchise couldn't possibly be more healthy. 

Edited by howieramone2, 26 October 2017 - 08:32 AM.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor, diehardtwinsfan and 2 others like this

#43 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:32 AM

The fun of baseball is all the differing opinions - none of which we can prove - we can only wait, but I would like to see

​Berrios

Santana

Gonsalves

Mejia

Well this possible rotation greatly concerns me. I would definitely like to add one arm to the dependable top 2 of Berrios and Santana. I would also prefer quality over quantity for additions though.

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, birdwatcher and 9 others like this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#44 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,461 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

I would also prefer quality over quantity for additions though.

A quality arm will address the quantity concern I have with only the seven arms listed.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

We couldn't afford fire alarms, so Dad hung Jiffy Pop over the doors.

#45 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

A quality arm will address the quantity concern I have with only the seven arms listed.

But it is meant to be that one Gerrit Cole is better than two Tyler Chatwoods. The Twins have a lot of question marks up and down their rotation but they do have depth next season.

• Deduno Abides likes this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#46 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,078 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

But it is meant to be that one Gerrit Cole is better than two Tyler Chatwoods. The Twins have a lot of question marks up and down their rotation but they do have depth next season.

depth isn't the problem. Depth is arms you can stash in AAA. They have plenty of those guys. Their problem is arms in the rotation.

• beckmt and caninatl04 like this

#47 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

The thing that sticks out to me is the lack of pitching prospects. 3 in the top 10 and they all have major question marks. There are some lottery tickets in the lower levels but not much beyond that, we really need to improve in this area. However I guess it worked for the Astros so there's that

Edited by twinsfanstreif, 26 October 2017 - 10:02 AM.

• caninatl04 likes this

#48 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

The Twins should not be going into the 2018 season expecting anything from Gonsalves, Romero, Sleger, Jorge or Stewart. This off-season they need to add a pitcher with 1 or 2 type stuff.

FA Pitcher / Trade

Santana

Berries

Gibson (Hopefully his second half is an indication of what's to come)

Mejia

There will obviously be injuries and struggles throughout the season and that's when you bring up one of the young pitchers but don't count on them to start the season.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 6 others like this

#49 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

depth isn't the problem. Depth is arms you can stash in AAA. They have plenty of those guys. Their problem is arms in the rotation.

Now this is just semantics. Depth could be the type of AAAA arms that the Twins have had to continually rely on in recent years. Or depth could be guys like Mejia/Gibson/Gonsalves/Romero/Littell/Jorge that actually have a good chance at MLB success. There is a big difference compared to the options the 'depth' options the Twins have had in the past.

I don't want to rely to heavily on any of those names mentioned but there is a good chance that 1-2 of those guys could be good #4's next season. And that is why multiple Tyler Chatwood level acquisitions don't make as much sense.

The Twins desperately need #2/3's though.

• diehardtwinsfan, Twins33, beckmt and 4 others like this

#50 srmcginnity

srmcginnity

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

To me, Lewin Diaz seems like another Kennys Vargas with the relatively low OBP at low A. That's concerning. Baddoo looks like a stud. I'm much higher on Thorpe than most. I think he'll be a reliable #3-4 with a #2 ceiling. 

• nytwinsfan, Ben Noble, rdehring and 1 other like this

#51 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:43 AM

To me, Lewin Diaz seems like another Kennys Vargas with the relatively low OBP at low A. That's concerning. Baddoo looks like a stud. I'm much higher on Thorpe than most. I think he'll be a reliable #3-4 with a #2 ceiling. 

I don't really get the Diaz love either. Minimal walk rate, meh power, no positional value.

With you on Thorpe, but I understand a little caution by Sickels considering the injury history.

• Mike Sixel, caninatl04 and Doctor Wu like this
Papers...business papers.

#52 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

​Berrios

Santana

Gonsalves

Mejia

I can ride with that another year and see where all the bats and maturity develops before we spend for that "last Piece".  

In some ways I am concerned that their bats might not meet our expectations - Kepler regressed, can he progress?Who is Sano - can he put it together.Does Byron have a full season of great coming?Is Rosario going to plateau or progress?Is Polanco the answer?Can Mauer continue his upsurge in his advancing years and advancing contract?

Lots of fuel for the hot stove and we haven't even covered the bullpen.

Felix Jorge is number 7. Gibson is only retained if their preliminary sniffing around for trades is not encouraging. Likely a FA with upside that nobody here will be excited about so Gonsalves or Mejia are in the minors. That would be my best guess.

#53 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,826 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

I share all y'alls feelings on Diaz, but then I've not been in love with the signing since day 1. 

• caninatl04 likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#54 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

I don't really get the Diaz love either. Minimal walk rate, meh power, no positional value.

With you on Thorpe, but I understand a little caution by Sickels considering the injury history.

A BA of around .300 and the hope that power develops. Look at Rosario. Unless this year is the outlier, power develops a little later in someMorneauwas 22 before he started crushingLast year was really his first year of playing a full season.Parts of his game are good for the level he was at, parts not. Welcome to the mid level prospect.

Edited by old nurse, 26 October 2017 - 10:59 AM.

#55 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

A SA of around .300 and the hope that power develops. Look at Rosario. Unless this year is the outlier, power develops a little later in someMorneauwas 22 before he started crushing

I don't think a straight comparison is always the best, but both of them were 21 at Low A and Rosario had a better bb rate, hit for more power, and was much more tooled up and with more positional flexibility.

I would be much more into Diaz if he could play somewhere other than 1b, but he really needs to show some power to even give a second thought.

• Mike Sixel likes this
Papers...business papers.

#56 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,078 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:39 AM

Now this is just semantics. Depth could be the type of AAAA arms that the Twins have had to continually rely on in recent years. Or depth could be guys like Mejia/Gibson/Gonsalves/Romero/Littell/Jorge that actually have a good chance at MLB success. There is a big difference compared to the options the 'depth' options the Twins have had in the past.

I don't want to rely to heavily on any of those names mentioned but there is a good chance that 1-2 of those guys could be good #4's next season. And that is why multiple Tyler Chatwood level acquisitions don't make as much sense.

The Twins desperately need #2/3's though.

We're on the same page...No to the Tyler chatwoods of the world. Get a good pitcher.

One exception may be Mejia. I'd go north with him unless May is ready to go, though I can definitely respect burning an option on him. Gibson is the hard decision in my opinion. Not sure I'd want that question mark in the rotation.

#57 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,078 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

I share all y'alls feelings on Diaz, but then I've not been in love with the signing since day 1.

I get that, to a point. The 1B thing is definitely the downside. But he's 2 years younger than the league. He posted modest power numbers in a league that's probably a bit more favorable to pitchers than hitters. He's a bit lower on my personal list, but he's not a bad prospect either.

• howieramone2 likes this

#58 JustinCB

JustinCB

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

The point is, we were the second youngest team in baseball last season based on weighted playing time. The current farm system is very deep, with most of the future star power being teenagers. Our franchise couldn't possibly be more healthy. 

could be the Braves'

#59 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

A BA of around .300 and the hope that power develops. Look at Rosario. Unless this year is the outlier, power develops a little later in someMorneauwas 22 before he started crushingLast year was really his first year of playing a full season.Parts of his game are good for the level he was at, parts not. Welcome to the mid level prospect.

At age 20 (same age as Diaz), Morneau had a 1.018 OPS at A, and by season's end had been promoted all the way to AA. Just looking at their stats at A while the same age, Morneau had essentially the same number of walks and home runs as Diaz despite playing in half the games.

Diaz in definitely outside my top-20. I think the path for him to be an above-average big leagure is extremely difficult. He is a 1B/DH, so he basically needs to be one of the top-50 hitters in all of baseball to be valuable.

• birdwatcher and SF Twins Fan like this

#60 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

The point is, we were the second youngest team in baseball last season based on weighted playing time. 

I don't think this is true. According to Baseball-Reference, they were 4th youngest on the position player side and fifth oldest on the pitching side.

https://www.baseball.../MLB/2017.shtml

• Mike Sixel likes this