Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Sickels Top 20

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,565 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

Let the prospect season begin:

https://www.minorlea...spects-for-2018

Couple thoughts:

-He's high on Rooker

-I like the ranking of Javier

-I think he's a little high on Littell, not high enough on Thorpe

-Jumping on the Baddoo train

This is a high beta system going into the year. If things break right, could be very strong by this time next year, or could really flame out.

• gunnarthor, twinssouth and DelusionalTwinsFan like this
Papers...business papers.

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,787 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

He overrates Gordon who might end up out of SS and at a corner OF, and never had a .750 OPS in 3 seasons as a pro.Same with Kiriloff.If these guys were not 1st round picks, they would not be there.

Gonsalves is also overrated IMHO.Enlow underrated.I think that I might have him ahead of Gonsalves at this point.Baddoo and Diaz underrated. Cannot compare Baddoo with Kiriloff, their ceiling and on the field performance and rank them that way. 

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

I'm on board with the Littell ranking, thought folks were significantly underrating him after the Garcia trade.

• gunnarthor, Dman and laloesch like this

#4 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

Kohl Stewart not even ranked in the top 20 anymore. That is surprising to me.

• gunnarthor, Twinsoholic, TNTwinsFan and 2 others like this

#5 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,565 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

He overrates Gordon who might end up out of SS and at a corner OF, and never had a .750 OPS in 3 seasons as a pro.Same with Kiriloff.If these guys were not 1st round picks, they would not be there.

Gonsalves is also overrated IMHO.Enlow underrated.I think that I might have him ahead of Gonsalves at this point.Baddoo and Diaz underrated. Cannot compare Baddoo with Kiriloff, their ceiling and on the field performance and rank them that way. 

If Gordon is a corner OF, he's basically a non-prospect. But he's hit enough for a middle infielder considering his age at each level.

I would agree with you on Kiriloff.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,109 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

It will be a lot longer rebuild if they missed on Gordon, Stewart, Jay and Kiriloff......let's hope not.....

I never see these guys play, I can only go on what others say on line and stats....but Badoo seems under rated as a rule. And I am a big Thorpe believer for some reason.

• Dantes929, tarheeltwinsfan, Vanimal46 and 4 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,787 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

I never see these guys play, I can only go on what others say on line and stats....but Badoo seems under rated as a rule. And I am a big Thorpe believer for some reason.

Sometimes, you don't even have to see them play.Baddoo looks like Adrian Peterson on his heyday...

• birdwatcher likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,632 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:26 PM

And I thought I was the low guy on Gordon all season...

I think this is a very fair ranking of Gordon (hanging onto a B+ ranking). The defensive concerns are there but not nearly to the extent that you mention/downgrade. My concern is the K rate for a modest power hitter. Way too high at this point (he's young but...) and definitely a reason why everyone must temper their expectations about him being an option next season or even counting on him the following season.

I also love it how you mention that he hasn't had a .750 OPS. Nice cutoff considering that he just had a .749 OPS.

I have no problem including him as a centerpiece in a trade for a legit good SP though.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor, 70charger and 6 others like this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#9 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:47 PM

Was a little surprised at the Romero rating, I had him higher than a #3 starter.Still with the comment of having a lot of C+ depth in this system, it may be time to adding some some of these C+ prospects to trades for pitching.

• gunnarthor, bluechipper, tarheeltwinsfan and 3 others like this

#10 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,565 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

It will be a lot longer rebuild if they missed on Gordon, Stewart, Jay and Kiriloff......let's hope not.....

The rebuild is over. The consequence on missing on all those guys will be making it harder to supplement the current core and/or turn it over. The difference between being a borderline playoff contender and a legit World Series threat.
  • birdwatcher, gunnarthor, Sweetwater and 2 others like this

#11 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Sometimes, you don't even have to see them play.Baddoo looks like Adrian Peterson on his heyday...

There seems to be some agreement on Baddoo. This from a Fantasy focus...

https://www.faketeam...sleeper-dynasty

• gunnarthor likes this

#12 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

Was a little surprised at the Romero rating, I had him higher than a #3 starter. Still with the comment of having a lot of C+ depth in this system, it may be time to adding some some of these C+ prospects to trades for pitching.

C+ prospects don't move the needle on a trade.
  • caninatl04 likes this

#13 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:20 PM

I think this is a very fair ranking of Gordon (hanging onto a B+ ranking). The defensive concerns are there but not nearly to the extent that you mention/downgrade. My concern is the K rate for a modest power hitter. Way too high at this point (he's young but...) and definitely a reason why everyone must temper their expectations about him being an option next season or even counting on him the following season.

I also love it how you mention that he hasn't had a .750 OPS. Nice cutoff considering that he just had a .749 OPS.

I have no problem including him as a centerpiece in a trade for a legit good SP though.

The .174 batting average against lefties this past year is very concerning as well. I'd love to include him in a trade for a pitcher.

• Thrylos, kab21 and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#14 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,565 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

No they don't.

#15 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:28 PM

Yeah I don't know where you get Gordon ending up at a corner OF, I have literally watched him play since he was a 15 year old and have never gotten any indication from scouts, coaches, and evaluators that he's anything but a middle infielder.There has been plenty of talk since HS that the further he matures and develops that 2B might be a better fit but his footwork and arm are plus for the infield.Nicky and Kiriloff are there not because they were first round picks but because of their pedigree they have built up in the scouting community and their future projection which in turn did make them first rounders.

But yes I do agree that Gonsalves is overranked yet his ranking seems more based on his high floor not his high ceiling. Steve is looking more and more like a dependable #3/#4 LHSP.

Enlow is underranked, Sickels says his velo is inconsistent but he was very consistent in the GCL, I know I saw him start multiple times at the same speed if not stronger later in the year.Part of the reason he was held out of early GCL was that he was building arm strength back after an extended time off.

Romero is ranked adequately, and the more and more I think about it he seems like a golden pick to end up in the backend of the bullpen.His FB/SL combo with his demeanor make him an excellent candidate to end up closing ballgames for years to come.Honestly, he could do that to start the 2018 season.

As for Baddoo, great kid and as I've said numerous times he's completely shocked the Twins in what they thought they were getting when they drafted him.I saw Akil back in 2015 at the WWBA with the Braves Scout Team, he was a quick twitch athlete who clubs saw as more of a slasher and burner and what they got is a potential power/speed combo that can put up 20/20+ numbers.His biggest knock is that he has a below average arm, where he's more of a CF/LF. Here's Baddoo before he was drafted and looking like NFL RB

3262-4-Gold-1.jpg

• jorgenswest, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 17 others like this

#16 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

Where do I sign up to get on the Baddoo bandwagon?

• gunnarthor, bluechipper, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#17 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

They are the lottery tickets that everyone talks about.

#18 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

They are the lottery tickets that everyone talks about.

I disagree. To me lottery ticket has more to do with affiliate level and upside.
Lewis is the type of lottery ticket that could move the needle in a trade.

Note: I'm talking about moving the needle on a major trade. Obviously you can get a Brandon Kintzler or Jaime Garcia rental, etc. for one of those C+ guys.

#19 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,565 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

Yeah I don't know where you get Gordon ending up at a corner OF, I have literally watched him play since he was a 15 year old and have never gotten any indication from scouts, coaches, and evaluators that he's anything but a middle infielder.There has been plenty of talk since HS that the further he matures and develops that 2B might be a better fit but his footwork and arm are plus for the infield.Nicky and Kiriloff are there not because they were first round picks but because of their pedigree they have built up in the scouting community and their future projection which in turn did make them first rounders.

But yes I do agree that Gonsalves is overranked yet his ranking seems more based on his high floor not his high ceiling. Steve is looking more and more like a dependable #3/#4 LHSP.

Enlow is underranked, Sickels says his velo is inconsistent but he was very consistent in the GCL, I know I saw him start multiple times at the same speed if not stronger later in the year.Part of the reason he was held out of early GCL was that he was building arm strength back after an extended time off.

Romero is ranked adequately, and the more and more I think about it he seems like a golden pick to end up in the backend of the bullpen.His FB/SL combo with his demeanor make him an excellent candidate to end up closing ballgames for years to come.Honestly, he could do that to start the 2018 season.

As for Baddoo, great kid and as I've said numerous times he's completely shocked the Twins in what they thought they were getting when they drafted him.I saw Akil back in 2015 at the WWBA with the Braves Scout Team, he was a quick twitch athlete who clubs saw as more of a slasher and burner and what they got is a potential power/speed combo that can put up 20/20+ numbers.His biggest knock is that he has a below average arm, where he's more of a CF/LF. Here's Baddoo before he was drafted and looking like NFL RB

3262-4-Gold-1.jpg

Good stuff.

Sickels traditionally ranks high ceiling/lower floor pitchers higher than the rest of the industry, so that would explain Gonsalves. He also generally goes higher on relievers and corner bats, so I think he'll be the high guy on Rooker too. He is also more conservative with high upside guys in lower levels like Enlow, and he is conservative with injury guys, so I think he'll be low on Thorpe. His rankings here seem to fit his general pattern.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and 4 others like this

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,272 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:20 AM

Each of the last two seasons he's had well over an .800 OPS late into the year and then tailed off as the season lengthened. I don't know if that's a league figuring him out or him tiring out. I tend to lean towards tiring out, especially as he maintained that OPS for much longer this year. While Gordon certainly has some question marks, I do think that he's likely a .750+ OPS guy at SS in the majors... that's a decent player.

• Steve Lein, Deduno Abides, howieramone2 and 2 others like this