Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Cubs Pitching Coach fired. Buddy of Molitor.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 ppearson50

ppearson50

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

Guess who was a Molitor teammate on the Brewers? Chris Bosio. He was just let go by the Cubs and Molitor looked at getting him on his staff three years ago. Bosio was a Brewer from 86 to 92. 

http://www.espn.com/...ach-chris-bosio

• glunn likes this

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,400 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

They wanted him when Molitor was hired... he's certainly jumped up to the top of the wish list, I would think... but with Falvine, they may have other requirements they're looking for.

• glunn, Thrylos, gunnarthor and 2 others like this

#3 ppearson50

ppearson50

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:11 PM

I wonder how much say Molitor has in hiring his own staff. 

• glunn likes this

#4 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

Hickey must be going to Cubs.

The staff they added last year in Rowson and Pickler appear to be excellent hires. I am not sure they were high on the radar. I hope they find the same success with a pitching coach.
  • Deduno Abides and terrydactyls1947 like this

#5 mike8791

mike8791

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

This is the type of "small" thinking that has doomed the Twins to mediocrity.Just because there is a Molitor-Bosio connection is scant reason for hiring this guy.Any one want to bet that Bosio was fired the moment Theo realized Mike Maddox was available?Remind anyone how fast Theo acted when Maddon became available.

If the Twins organization truly wanted a championship they would go after Maddox hard!The Cubs will be all in; the Twins will go cheap and hire a second tier pitching coach.Count on it!

• mnfireman and wavedog like this

#6 Tuba

Tuba

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:02 PM

This is the type of "small" thinking that has doomed the Twins to mediocrity.Just because there is a Molitor-Bosio connection is scant reason for hiring this guy.Any one want to bet that Bosio was fired the moment Theo realized Mike Maddox was available?Remind anyone how fast Theo acted when Maddon became available.

If the Twins organization truly wanted a championship they would go after Maddox hard!The Cubs will be all in; the Twins will go cheap and hire a second tier pitching coach.Count on it!

Bosio is pretty well respected though isn't he? Its not like he couldn't get the Twins job on merit. 

#7 mike8791

mike8791

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

Bosio was respected enough to be retained when Maddon was hired; however, Cub pitchers, particularly the bullpen, have largely not progressed under Bosio.The only starter who progressed was Hendricks who was smart enough to figure out how to overcome his lack of velocity and still succeed(sounds like brother Greg, no?).  

Not to say Bosio was in the category of Dick Such but he certainly was never in the elite category of Mike Maddox who did wonders with a very mediocre Ranger staff.This is a great test of whether Falvey and company can best Theo and the Cubs in getting the best man available.To date, the Twins have never ponied up.Any bets on how this one will turn out?

• mnfireman likes this

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

They better get an analytics-minded pitching coach.Plus Bosio declined a Twins' job offer previously, so he should not be considered again.No sloppy seconds; about time that the Twins are pretending to be a contender and act like it.

Edited by Thrylos, 21 October 2017 - 04:42 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 mike8791

mike8791

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Just to tamper our expectations, the Twins have probably already placed themselves out of the bidding for Maddox because of their(reportedly) low ball contract with Molitor.Would they pay more for a pitching coach than for the manager?To get maddox they will have to outbid the Cubs and probably other suitors.Can they afford it?Of course!The Pohlads are the wealthiest owners in baseball!Will they? Of course not. Its not in this organization's DNA to outbid other teams for real talent.

The Rickett's family bought the Cubs to bring a championship to Chicago.They succeeded because they backed up their plan by going out and hiring the best talent available.The results are apparent, just as they are with the Pohlad's halfhearted efforts to be "competitive".The results are also apparent.To expect any more flies against their history and their limited ambitions. I am afraid.Time will tell, but I'm not getting my hopes up for a third championship banner to fly above Target Field so long as current ownership stays.

#10 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

There would be symmetry if the Cubs hire Maddux. Then their manager and pitching coach would both have six-letter last names beginning with Madd-- and with the fifth letter commonly misspelled.

Edited by spinowner, 21 October 2017 - 05:27 PM.

• USAFChief and Deduno Abides like this

#11 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

Any one want to bet that Bosio was fired the moment Theo realized Mike Maddox was available?Remind anyone how fast Theo acted when Maddon became available.

Maddox is the second tier coach...Bosio was as good as gone when Hickey was let go by TB...Joe's getting the band back together

01WEB_RaysCoaches102714_750_14112775_8co

Is it 2020 yet?

#12 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

Just to tamper our expectations, the Twins have probably already placed themselves out of the bidding for Maddox because of their(reportedly) low ball contract with Molitor. Would they pay more for a pitching coach than for the manager? To get maddox they will have to outbid the Cubs and probably other suitors.Can they afford it? Of course! The Pohlads are the wealthiest owners in baseball! Will they? Of course not. Its not in this organization's DNA to outbid other teams for real talent.

The Rickett's family bought the Cubs to bring a championship to Chicago. They succeeded because they backed up their plan by going out and hiring the best talent available. The results are apparent, just as they are with the Pohlad's halfhearted efforts to be "competitive". The results are also apparent. To expect any more flies against their history and their limited ambitions. I am afraid. Time will tell, but I'm not getting my hopes up for a third championship banner to fly above Target Field so long as current ownership stays.

Could you please post the applicable links to your allegations that Molitor signed a low ball contract?
Thanks in advance.

#13 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

I . . . don't understand the knocks against Bosio. I don't know enough about him to say whether the Twins should make a run at him, but the Cubs won the World Series last year in part because of an excellent pitching staff. No idea why the Cubs let him go, but I have a hard time accepting it's because he's a hack.

• brvama likes this

#14 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

I . . . don't understand the knocks against Bosio. I don't know enough about him to say whether the Twins should make a run at him, but the Cubs won the World Series last year in part because of an excellent pitching staff. No idea why the Cubs let him go, but I have a hard time accepting it's because he's a hack.

Isn't there some middle ground between the absolute best guy for the job, and a "hack"?

#15 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 6,259 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

Isn't there some middle ground between the absolute best guy for the job, and a "hack"?

Hey, no politics!

Member VP of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club

#16 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:11 PM

Of course, but the tone of the Bosio posts isn't exactly charitable.

Edited by prouster, 21 October 2017 - 08:11 PM.

#17 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

How about Jim Benedict? He has an analytical background that should be a great fit for the Twins.

Bosio may be OK, but the Twins need to be extra careful not to give preference to relationships, because a DNA weakness of the organization has been to allow relationships to cloud judgment. Relationships are great, but not if they tend to cause you to miss innovative ideas or better candidates.

Edited by Deduno Abides, 21 October 2017 - 09:37 PM.

• spinowner likes this

#18 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

How about Jim Benedict? He has an analytical background that should be a great fit for the Twins.

Bosio may be OK, but the Twins need to be extra careful not to give preference to relationships, because a DNA weakness of the organization has been to allow relationships to cloud judgment. Relationships are great, but not if they tend to cause you to miss innovative ideas or better candidates.

I think the Mientkiewicz decision shows that this organization puts other priorities ahead of relationships. It used to be that managers could pretty much select their coaches, but I think Falvine will have a lot of input in this hiring.

• Dantes929 and Deduno Abides like this

#19 Roaddog

Roaddog

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:58 AM

There are a couple of guys that really intrigue me. First my criteria is that they have to have a reputation for developing pitchers. I really like what Jose Rosada has done with the Yankees organization. I'm just not big into hiring guys who have been around for awhile. Then there is Tim Leveque from the Cards. Comes from an organization known for pitching. The other one is Dan Meyer from the Braves. I hadn't heard of him previously, but was impressed by his bio.

Edited by Roaddog, 22 October 2017 - 09:06 AM.

• Deduno Abides likes this

#20 mike8791

mike8791

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

To Mr. Brooks:

Not a lot of hard info on Molitor's new contract, bit I relied on Bernadino's guess http://www.twincitie...year-extension/ that it was under $2MM/year paid Gardy.As you know, the Twins are very close-mouthed when it comes to revealing salaries.

Also, turns out that it was Maddon that instigated Bosio's firing, not Theo, so perhaps my guess on Maddux's availability influencing the Bosio firing was incorrect.It will be fascinating to see where all the available PC's land = and how agressive the Twins will be in hiring the best person available!!

• h2oface likes this