Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Rosenthal: Gardy to be the new Tigers manager

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,829 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

Congratulations Mr. Gardy.
  • Jerr and Vanimal46 like this

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#22 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:41 PM

Not sure he’s the manager for a rebuild. His inclination is to play veterans over inexperienced players. He also has a history of throwing inexperienced players “under the bus” when they make mistakes- as all inexperienced players do. IMO, he was poor at putting players in position to succeed. Jacque Jones as a leadoff hitter for example. Doug Mientkiewicz (and Joe Mauer frankly) as third place hitters. One that perfectly sums up Gardenhire’s ineffectiveness though is when Michael Nakamura made his MLB debut. Instead of bringing him into a low leverage situation, he entered the game in a save situation. Keep in mind, this was not an uber prospect or a future closer. He had a deceptive motion similar to Neshek or Hildenberger. And then a week or so later, was brought into a game without warming up because Gardy made a second coaching visit in an inning. I have no idea if the way he was handled shortened his career or not. I don’t think it helped.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 19 October 2017 - 06:42 PM.

#23 S.

S.

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:51 PM

My comment: Why would the Tigers be interested in having Gardenhire manage a team at the bottom of the rebuilding phase?

Because no other managers want anything to do with that mess. And both parties are probably well aware that they'll get a new manager before the Tigers are competitive again.

why would Gardenhire be interested in managing a team at the bottom of a rebuilding phase?

Because it pays better than being a bench coach or any other non managerial job he'd get with another team.

The real question is how many times do we think Gardy will get ejected next year? And how many of those ejections will come while playing the Twins?

#24 NDTimIrish

NDTimIrish

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

I liked Gardy. Terrible manager but a nice guy. I wish him and his 3 catchers on the roster the best of luck. 

• h2oface likes this

#25 rv78

rv78

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

Wow, both must be desperate. Guess that means it a perfect match!

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,201 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

I wonder what Yankees fans (and Braves and Mets fans) would have said when the Yankees hired Joe Torre... 

Now I'm not saying Gardy is Torre, but it's silly to say that he isn't a good manager or can't do the job. I'm sure they talked through what they're looking for, and while wins or losses aren't necessarily the criteria due to his players, he may meet a lot of what they're looking for. He knows this game well, even if a collective 'we' may not think it makes a ton of sense. 

• Blake, Jerr, beckmt and 6 others like this

#27 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

The Tigers rebuild will take many years; Gardy may be seen as being able to keep the big-contract veterans appeased as the team retools.In three-four years, when the team actually has young players to develop/play on the major league roster, the Tigers can switch gears and let Gardy go.

#28 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

• Thrylos and Craig Arko like this
Papers...business papers.

#29 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:06 PM

I wonder what Yankees fans (and Braves and Mets fans) would have said when the Yankees hired Joe Torre...

Now I'm not saying Gardy is Torre, but it's silly to say that he isn't a good manager or can't do the job. I'm sure they talked through what they're looking for, and while wins or losses aren't necessarily the criteria due to his players, he may meet a lot of what they're looking for. He knows this game well, even if a collective 'we' may not think it makes a ton of sense.

I think Gardy is a perfectly fine manager and would have liked to see him on a team like the Mets (a team potentially with talent that maybe just needs a new voice), but Detroit makes no sense for him other than as a money grab. Might have been his only option though.
  • beckmt likes this

#30 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:07 PM

Not a good comp Seth. Torre took over a very good playoff team. Gardy is taking over the worst team in the league, just starting a re-build with a middling farm system.

• Thrylos, Blake and h2oface like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#31 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:28 PM

Congrats to Mr. Gardy.

It's too bad it's within the division, though.

#32 Homer Hanky

Homer Hanky

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

It will be fun to see who he picks for his staff... 

#33 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,101 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

Not sure he’s the manager for a rebuild. His inclination is to play veterans over inexperienced players. He also has a history of throwing inexperienced players “under the bus” when they make mistakes- as all inexperienced players do. IMO, he was poor at putting players in position to succeed. Jacque Jones as a leadoff hitter for example. Doug Mientkiewicz (and Joe Mauer frankly) as third place hitters. One that perfectly sums up Gardenhire’s ineffectiveness though is when Michael Nakamura made his MLB debut. Instead of bringing him into a low leverage situation, he entered the game in a save situation. Keep in mind, this was not an uber prospect or a future closer. He had a deceptive motion similar to Neshek or Hildenberger. And then a week or so later, was brought into a game without warming up because Gardy made a second coaching visit in an inning. I have no idea if the way he was handled shortened his career or not. I don’t think it helped.

Gardy played young guys over vets nearly all the time. He didn't throw players under the bus, he kept most of it in-house. Molitor has done far more of that in his three years than Gardy did his entire time. The Gardy bashing has gotten out of hand over the years. He was a very good manager.

• DocBauer likes this

#34 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:22 AM

Gardy played young guys over vets nearly all the time. He didn't throw players under the bus, he kept most of it in-house. Molitor has done far more of that in his three years than Gardy did his entire time. The Gardy bashing has gotten out of hand over the years. He was a very good manager.

Justin Morneau, Jason Bartlett and Michael Cuddyer are 3 I can think of off the top of my head. They all sat far too long while some washed up veteran got playing time.

And yes, Gardy definitely berated young players in the press. No, I don’t have links to 10-15 year old articles. Ask anyone here who was around during the BYTO days. They’ll remember.
  • h2oface likes this

#35 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,972 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:23 AM

Gardy didn't throw players under the bus? Hmmmm. I must have been watching different post game presses conferences.

• Mike Sixel, beckmt and h2oface like this

#36 dbminn

dbminn

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

Congratulations Gardy! 

#37 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:37 AM

Justin Morneau, Jason Bartlett and Michael Cuddyer are 3 I can think of off the top of my head. They all sat far too long while some washed up veteran got playing time.

And yes, Gardy definitely berated young players in the press. No, I don’t have links to 10-15 year old articles. Ask anyone here who was around during the BYTO days. They’ll remember.

Those guys were mostly service time manipulation, it's not like they were on the 25 man and sitting on the bench. Once they were up, he stuck with them for long stretches even when they were struggling. Developed them quite nicely.

And Gardy berating young players in the press is easily the most overrated narrative around him. As a long time poster on BYTO, I can assure you the posters were not infallible, they exaggerated this kind of stuff as much as happens here.

#38 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,589 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:32 AM

I tried to send a moderator's warning to LaVelle for this classic bit of trolling, but the message bounced. :)

• USAFChief, diehardtwinsfan, snepp and 2 others like this

Why worry about tomorrow when today is so far off.

#39 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

Morneau sitting in AAA would be the GM. Cuddyer was a problem in figuring out what position he could actually play on the field.His age 22 season was about the only time he sat much

#40 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,101 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

He played the young guys. Look at his rosters. Lohse had a 144 starts through his age 25 season. In another thread, we noted that vets made about 8% of all starts for the Twins from 02-10 and that counts Radke's two free agent seasons. It's an absolute lie that Gardy played vets over his young guys. You can't change the nucleus of a team like the Twins did without relying on the young players.

And yes, I've been following the Twins back in the days and the BYTO forum were full of some of the dumbest most negative posters around. Those posters found negatives in the most neutral comments he made. The ESPN forums were much better (which tells you something). The manager that is throwing players under the bus has been Molitor not Gardy.

• DocBauer likes this