Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Rosenthal: Gardy to be the new Tigers manager

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,403 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Tigers have chosen Ron Gardenhire to be their next manager, pending the completion of a contract. 

https://theathletic....on-of-contract/

• glunn likes this

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,499 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:19 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Sconnie likes this

#3 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

I wonder why he would want to take over that mess, and why Detroit would even want him. Seems like a poor fit both ways.
  • nicksaviking, Winston Smith, PseudoSABR and 2 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#4 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,875 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:45 PM

Hope he is happier losing there, he certainly didn't appear to handle all the losing here well. Of course, most of us didn't.

Sorry Gardy, I hope the Tigers re-build takes a long time.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#5 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:46 PM

I guess a rebuilding team mine as well have a recognizable name out there. It will be fun to watch Gardy get thrown out a few more times.
  • NDTimIrish and SF Twins Fan like this

#6 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

I wonder why he would want to take over that mess, and why Detroit would even want him. Seems like a poor fit both ways.

Managin' pays a whole lot better than bench-coachin' and has more "perqs". If then Tiggers finish dead last (which might be their plan) who better to take the helm and "go down with the ship"?

• Mike Sixel and Broker like this

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,022 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

Money, power, prestige, being a manager again?

• SF Twins Fan likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#8 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,252 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

awkward-meme.jpg

• KirbyDome89 likes this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#9 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:53 PM

A veteran manager for a veteran team, he is the opposite of Asmus. He will be 60 soon, he is in the twilight of a career. That matches well with the core of the team.

• Otwins likes this

#10 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:02 PM

A lot of us thought he'd get the manager job a couple years back... but I'm surprised at the amount of interest in him from other teams. I thought he was going to be a bench coach for the rest of his career, but I guess he's getting another chance. I don't think it'll work but I wish him luck.

Edited by Danchat, 19 October 2017 - 04:02 PM.

• spinowner likes this

#11 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, this would have been a great fit two years ago.

Congrats to him.
  • Otwins likes this

#12 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:32 PM

Congratulations to Gardy, but hiring him seems like confirmation that Detroit isn’t worried about winning a playoff series.

#13 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

Master of the Obvious

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

6-21 playoff record including 12 straight loses. Five consecutive 90 losses season to end his tenure. 

Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong.

#14 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

Even better news than the idea of him being the Red Sox manager (which never made sense)!

Congrats!

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

Great news for the Twins. Hope he brings back his buddy Anderson as their pitching coach as well.

• h2oface and jimmer like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#16 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:10 PM

6-21 playoff record including 12 straight loses. Five consecutive 90 losses season to end his tenure. 

Interestingly, the Twins never had five straight 90 loss seasons under Gardy. That seems like a bit of false narrative there.

He's a good manager, hope he does well there.

• Jerr, spinowner and wsnydes like this

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:16 PM

Managin' pays a whole lot better than bench-coachin' and has more "perqs". If then Tiggers finish dead last (which might be their plan) who better to take the helm and "go down with the ship"?

Certainly makes more sense for Gardy if it's his only offer. I thought he'd make a lot of sense with the Mets.

Don't get it at all for the Tigers, but if they want to burn a couple mil for a scapegoat, sure, why not.
Papers...business papers.

#18 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:03 PM

This was posted on the Strib website:

Ron Gardenhire reportedly set to become Detroit Tigers' new manager
By Mike NelsonOCTOBER 19, 2017 — 6:04PM

Former Minnesota Twins manager Ron Gardenhire will be named to the same position with the Detroit Tigers, sources tell the Athletic's Ken Rosenthal.

Gardenhire spent this past season as the Arizona Diamondbacks bench coach under manager Torey Lovullo. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in February and underwent surgery in April. He missed five weeks of the season before returning to the team in May.

The 59-year-old replaces Brad Ausmus, whose contract expired at the end of the season and who went 314-332 (.486) over his four-year run.

A contract agreement or length of the deal is unknown. It is likely the Tigers and Gardenhire still are negotiating a contract.

The decision was made after Gardenhire impressed general manager Al Avila in an interview at Comerica Park on Tuesday. He interviewed with the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday.

In 13 years with the Twins, Gardenhire posted a 1,068-1,039 regular-season record (.507 winning percentage) and led the club to six American League Central titles and the 2002 American League Championship Series.

During the process, Avila interviewed a number of candidates, including Marlins third base coach Fredi Gonzalez, White Sox third base coach Joe McEwing, Giants hitting coach Hensley Meulens, Astros bench coach Alex Cora and Rockies bench coach Mike Redmond. Internal candidates Omar Vizquel and Dave Clark also interviewed for the position.

After announcing Ausmus would not return for the 2018 season, Avila said Major League managerial experience would be preferred. With Gardenhire, the Tigers get plenty of that.

The Detroit Free Press contributed to this report.

#19 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

My comment: Why would the Tigers be interested in having Gardenhire manage a team at the bottom of the rebuilding phase? And why would Gardenhire be interested in managing a team at the bottom of a rebuilding phase?

• DocBauer likes this

#20 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

Congrats to Gardy! Was ready for him to move on from the Twins but always liked the guy.  

• Blake and Jerr like this