Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Twins to hire John Manuel

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,590 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

Uh ....

I'm thought he was talking about Souhan and his disdain for anyone without a press badge.
  • Carole Keller likes this

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,590 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

what happens when the internets contradicts itself?

Duh, the tie goes to the person who better ridiculed the other guy's mom using ALLCAPS.
  • diehardtwinsfan likes this

#23 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

I need to keep a link to this thread, the next time people type that internet scouts are stupid and don't know anything......

Hawt Taek

• Mike Sixel likes this

#24 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:11 PM

http://m.twins.mlb.c...hired-by-twins/

Looks like continued emphasis in analytics

#25 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:14 AM

How long before Aaron Gleeman gets hired by the Twins? BP has had lots of writers get hired by Front Offices.

#26 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:20 AM

How long before Aaron Gleeman gets hired by the Twins? BP has had lots of writers get hired by Front Offices.

Maybe this is just me not knowing, but I suspect the Parker types (analyze data/film for tendencies) get hired more often than the Gleeman types (very knowledgeable but more of a accumulator/decipherer of other people's opinions)

Edited by amjgt, 22 October 2017 - 05:21 AM.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#27 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:28 AM

Maybe this is just me not knowing, but I suspect the Parker types (analyze data/film for tendencies) get hired more often than the Gleeman types (very knowledgeable but more of a accumulator/decipherer of other people's opinions)

Without question. Original work/research is a more valuable resource, but real good analysis has value too.

Prospect guys are valuable too, because of the relationships they have developed with amateur coaches.
  • birdwatcher likes this
Papers...business papers.

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,400 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:53 PM

If he's been hired in "Pro Scouting" which is what we've heard, we won't hear or see anything that he's doing. That's the department that Brad Steil moved to. From what I've heard, he'll be scouting teams and players throughout the Carolinas, minor leaguers. Unless there is a trade or minor league signing of a player from that area, we won't hear anything. So, it'll be hard to judge what he's doing and how he's doing. But we know he's got a lot of contacts. Of course, a lot of those contacts won't be able to speak as openly with him anymore, so it's a very interesting signing. I'm encouraged by it... but there's no way to know if it's a good hire or not. 

• Thrylos and gunnarthor like this

#29 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,668 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

This hiring is interesting because he indeed is in the Pro Department vs. the Amateur Department.He has done plenty of minor league scouting, but was BA's big draft guy.

At least he is a new voice with a different way of looking at things, which is exactly what the Twins need.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#30 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

Well I didn't see John Manuel at the WWBA this weekend but I did see a few other Twins FO (no DJ or Ratcliffe as have been there in past years) and their coaches were leading the Twins Scout team (Coach Vavra, Javier Valentin and Rick Eckstein) at the tourney.