Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Expansion Could Alter MLB's Landscape

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,972 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

How's the baseball temperature in Portland Mike?

Portland bumping Colorado for the eighth slot in the west looks to be screwing all the realignment attempts. Sorry to stereotype, but are all those young hipsters really into baseball?

No chance, imo, there are enough businesses here to buy suites, nor do I think the tv market is big enough. Seattle would be bummed for sure, to lose this market, they would want to be compensated.

I think Vancouver, BC is actually a good idea. LOTS of money there, LOTS.

However, a report came out yesterday that there is a Portland money group working on this.....

The stadium would be tough. No one in the city likes going west to the burbs, no one in the far out burbs likes the hippy dippy city. Traffic is awful to the one suburb spot you could do (Hillsboro), and even worse in the city. Supposedly there is a site in the city. It will either be Amazon HQ2 (hahahahaha) or a baseball stadium (hahaha), or condos/apartments/park space.

Frankly, this city will have to ban cars in the center part of the city at some point....

• nicksaviking likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#82 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,216 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

But central America for the most part is dirt and i mean DIRT poor.How could any of those countries down there possibly sustain a major league team with comparative payrolls to US teams? 

Panama and Costa Rica have yearly average incomes of $2740. Honduras $760 and Nicaragua less than $500 a year! 

If you jump over to the island of Hispaniola it doesn't get any better with Haiti at $460 and Domincan Republic is not much better. Just south of our border Mexico averages $4,400 a year.

I agree with this, but I'm not sure median income is necessarily the best way to look at it. There are some very large cities in central America. The question is whether there is enough of a middle class to sustain baseball in one or more of them. Given just how much they love baseball there, I wouldn't throw it out either.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#83 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

How about Vancouver instead? Then you'd get your Pacific Northwest team and your Canadian team all in one package. Then you can do whatever is the biggest market lacking a team.
But I vote no on all of this business. I'm not against change, but I am against my team getting shafted and nothing in this proposal looks beneficial to the Twins. Is rather go the relocation route as sad as I'd feel for some of those fans.

I am lockstep with you *high five*

I think in a perfect world, a west Canada city and Havana and Puerto Rico are considered for new franchises. There are a couple of franchises that should relocate at this point (looking at you, Tampa). But maybe Nashville is a good candidate market for a new southern team as others said up thread. Don't know. But mostly I'm a No to expansion.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#84 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,542 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:16 PM

I think this is how I'd go. Colorado is kind of misplaced but they don't really fit anywhere. Maybe adding a team in Charlotte or Nashville instead of Portland would make more geographic sense and then Colorado could slide west.
I'd also allow teams to set their own ground rules as it regards DH / pitcher batting. Must be declared for entirety of season and then maybe required 2 years to change.

NORTHEAST
NY Mets
NY Yankees
Boston
Philadelphia
Montreal
Pittsburgh
Washington
Baltimore

GREAT LAKES
Detroit
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Minnesota
Toronto
Cincinnati
Chicago Cubs
Chicago WS

SOUTH
Texas
Houston
Colorado
Kansas City
Saint Louis
Atlanta
Miami
Tampa

WEST
Seattle
San Francisco
Oakland
LA Dodgers
LA Angels
San Diego
Arizona
Portland

I love the idea of four 8-team divisions. It harkens back to the true pennant races which I am not old enough to remember. the top team could be the winner with four wildcards per league (two one game playoffs to determine 1-4 2-3 seed second round matchups). Alas it will never happen, because $$$$$

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#85 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:01 PM

One point the article made was that the lost revenue in going to 156 games would be made up in lower travel costs because of realignment. Thats why everyone is emphasizing locations as they are. It’s not just about being viable in community and financial support, but is also viable in location.

84 games vs 76 games now with teams regionally close.Losing 1 short flight between cities on a road trip and 1 shorter flightwith a division rival along with 3 nights of hotel costs is not going to make upfor the loss of revenue from full season ticket packages, suite revenue and loss from 6 games from broadcastrights fees

#86 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

No chance, imo, there are enough businesses here to buy suites, nor do I think the tv market is big enough. Seattle would be bummed for sure, to lose this market, they would want to be compensated.

I think Vancouver, BC is actually a good idea. LOTS of money there, LOTS.

However, a report came out yesterday that there is a Portland money group working on this.....

The stadium would be tough. No one in the city likes going west to the burbs, no one in the far out burbs likes the hippy dippy city. Traffic is awful to the one suburb spot you could do (Hillsboro), and even worse in the city. Supposedly there is a site in the city. It will either be Amazon HQ2 (hahahahaha) or a baseball stadium (hahaha), or condos/apartments/park space.

Frankly, this city will have to ban cars in the center part of the city at some point....

No mention of a retractable dome as monsoon season begins in September and doesn't let up until the middle of June.

#87 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,157 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

84 games vs 76 games now with teams regionally close. Losing 1 short flight between cities on a road trip and 1 shorter flight with a division rival along with 3 nights of hotel costs is not going to make up for the loss of revenue from full season ticket packages, suite revenue and loss from 6 games from broadcast rights fees

I’m not agreeing with the article merely restating it’s premise. I don’t see the savings either, particularly how the article has aligned the teams.
  • caninatl04 likes this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#88 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:03 AM

I agree with this, but I'm not sure median income is necessarily the best way to look at it. There are some very large cities in central America. The question is whether there is enough of a middle class to sustain baseball in one or more of them. Given just how much they love baseball there, I wouldn't throw it out either.

It would certainly be worth looking into but carefully studied the numbers may not work. Then there is the safety factor that know one wants to talk about particularly El Salvador and Guatemala.

Edited by laloesch, 19 October 2017 - 07:04 AM.

#89 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,972 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

No mention of a retractable dome as monsoon season begins in September and doesn't let up until the middle of June.

mostly myth. The weather here is nicer than MN, until about now. Post season would be a potential issue, but no more so than Denver.

though, I'd bet they would build a retractable roof, yes.

Also, politically, I don't see how this government puts money into a stadium with all the other stuff going on here.....so unless Phil Knight decides he cares about Portland....

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#90 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Central America? Absolutely no way. The only place in Latin America that has any chance whatsoever would be Mexico City, and I think the currency exchange and livability issues would make it difficult to make things work. I know I wouldn't want to play 81 games there.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#91 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

mostly myth. The weather here is nicer than MN, until about now. Post season would be a potential issue, but no more so than Denver.

though, I'd bet they would build a retractable roof, yes.

Also, politically, I don't see how this government puts money into a stadium with all the other stuff going on here.....so unless Phil Knight decides he cares about Portland....

A quick Google search shows you to be correct.
Portland gets most of their rain in the winter.
They actually get far less rain during baseball season than Minneapolis does.

From April through September, Minneapolis gets an average of about 20.8" of rain, while Portland gets 9.9".

#92 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,972 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

From April through September, Minneapolis gets an average of about 20.8" of rain, while Portland gets 9.9".

over 100 days in a row w/o rain this summer.....which was kinda bad, actually.

#93 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:28 AM

Dropping 6 games, but also adding 2 teams results in a net gain, not loss.

It is not a net gain for the individual teams. 6 less games of broadcast revenue. 3 less games for revenue from full season ticket holders, 3 less suite rentals. The 10 teams that sell well will have less fans. National broadcast rights will be less for each team. There will be a short term bump up in merchandise royalties

Edited by The Wise One, 21 October 2017 - 12:29 AM.

#94 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:48 AM

It is not a net gain for the individual teams. 6 less games of broadcast revenue. 3 less games for revenue from full season ticket holders, 3 less suite rentals. The 10 teams that sell well will have less fans. National broadcast rights will be less for each team. There will be a short term bump up in merchandise royalties

Doesn't each teams cut of the expansion fees cover much of that?

#95 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:26 AM

Doesn't each teams cut of the expansion fees cover much of that?

Took a vacation. The expansion fee is likely to depend on how many players and what kind of talent they get to select. If they get a pretty good shot at having players the pricetag might be 1.2billion each franchise as that is what Miami sold for.. This is baseball. Angelos bought the Orioles for 173 m The expansion fee 5 years later was 135mI would think about 750m for a franchise.2 teams net the rest 50m a franchise less whatever the commissioner takes out for baseball.Betweenrevenue per year decreasing from the broadcast pool and inflation of wages for competitionfor even the mediocre players, which in turn drives up arb costs the expansion fees should cover it for a few years. Being short sighted is not how owners became billionaires. 

#96 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:27 AM

Playoffs are in October