Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Possible expansion and realignment?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

Not sure what I think about this ... definitely don't like the proposed realignment but I'm okay with eliminating the two leagues. Of course this is all speculative, but I still think 'Ugh!'

http://www.baseballa...BQG0e7oGpLD8.97
  • nicksaviking likes this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,606 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:41 PM

I'm guessing the author didn't take too many geography classes looking at those divisions.

I'm not against change, but I am against a realignment that for some reason has the Twins in a division with clubs all in EST and the closest city is Detroit. Can't see many people happy with breaking up the Yankees and Red Sox either.
  • Carole Keller and spinowner like this

#3 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:42 PM

The expansion would be fine, but if they're going to realign and move the Twins to playing all of the teams on the east coast I would be completely against it.  It would make more sense if the Twins, Brewers, White Sox, Cubs, Royals, Cards, Astros and maybe Colorado were all in the same division.  The Twins would be screwed over if they had to always travel to the east coast.

Edited by SF Twins Fan, 16 October 2017 - 06:43 PM.

• Carole Keller and sftwinsfan like this

#4 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

That is too radical of a change for baseball to bring in. I expect expansion to happen and result in 32 teams at some point though. The one tough thing is that it makes sense to go to 4 four team divisions per league at that point and then there isn't a path for the WC in the playoffs. Or maybe they have two 8 team divisions and two WC's. Both seem like a step backward in keeping as many teams alive in the playoff chase though.

• Carole Keller likes this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#5 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

Seems quite speculative.I like the idea of 8-team divisions, but at least now they are all 5-team instead of some 4-team and some 5-team which was unfair when there was only 1 wild card.

I'd say the most notable thing here is that I'd agree there needs to be at least 1 more Canadian team.Toronto has too many fans (all of Canada).

#6 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

I'm guessing the author didn't take too many geography classes looking at those divisions.
I'm not against change, but I am against a realignment that for some reason has the Twins in a division with clubs all in EST and the closest city is Detroit. Can't see many people happy with breaking up the Yankees and Red Sox either.

Yeah, especially saying that it would cut down costs due to less travel ... and I'm just thinking, 'Yeah, not for the Twins in that scenario.' I'd have to sit down somewhere with a map and paper and figure it out, but I think I could come up with something better given what they think they'd be accomplishing.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#7 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:56 PM

Seems quite speculative.I like the idea of 8-team divisions, but at least now they are all 5-team instead of some 4-team and some 5-team which was unfair when there was only 1 wild card.

I'd say the most notable thing here is that I'd agree there needs to be at least 1 more Canadian team.Toronto has too many fans (all of Canada).

Don't say that in front of North or GCTF! :)

#8 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

Then there's the Twins, who would get practically none of their natural rivals and be stuck in with multiple big-market east coast teams. 

#9 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

Yeah, especially saying that it would cut down costs due to less travel ... and I'm just thinking, 'Yeah, not for the Twins in that scenario.' I'd have to sit down somewhere with a map and paper and figure it out, but I think I could come up with something better given what they think they'd be accomplishing.

If they're trying to cut costs for travel, they should split up divisions by airline hubs. Based on my personal travel experience, that would save a FORTUNE.

Delta division: Minnesota, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, New York

United divisions: Chicago, Houston, Denver, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington DC

American Airlines division: Dallas, Philadelphia, Miami, Arizona, Seattle

Everyone else gets Spirit Airlines.

#10 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

Not sure what I think about this ... definitely don't like the proposed realignment but I'm okay with eliminating the two leagues. Of course this is all speculative, but I still think 'Ugh!'

http://www.baseballa...BQG0e7oGpLD8.97

I can't see them eliminating the Al & NL and implementing the DH for both leagues.  I do think four, four team divisions in each league DOES make a lot of sense if you add two expansion franchises.  I also like how this balances out the schedule and eliminating 6 games and going to a 156 game schedule is a fantastic idea.  

I could also see Portland getting the A's if they don't hammer out a new stadium deal eventually, but an expansion team makes sense as well.  Out east i think a team in Charlotte, NC which is one of the nation's fastest growing metropolises or Raleigh makes a lot of sense.  I'm not too keen on Montreal though.  I have MANY Canadian relatives and 99% of them can give two hoots about baseball and they are not alone.  When asked about baseball many Canadians just chuckle. Canada is DOMINATED by hockey.  Toronto is the one exception in that they are SO BIG and so fortune 500 rich that it has worked out well for them regarding box sales, etc.  

Montreal and Quebec in general have all kinds of hurdles for corporations and MLB  regarding French and English TV rights in addition to the Franchophone requirements for owners, employees and coaches.  I suppose all of this could be worked out but it is a real challenge.  

Edited by laloesch, 16 October 2017 - 07:18 PM.

• Respy likes this

#11 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

• Twins Mods
  • 21,289 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:42 PM

Please redirect conversation here:
http://twinsdaily.co...pe/#entry691447