Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2017-18 non-Twins MLB Off-Season Transactions Thread

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

Lots of trade capital squandered when the Twins let Duensing go, not to mention Adam Brett Walker.

and now, after the Brewers/Orioles/Braves/Orioles/Reds systems, Walker is a free agent again.I sure hope he gets to the majors with someone someday.

#82 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

I'm starting to think owners and players are colluding.If nothing happens in the next two weeks things are going to get really interesting.

#83 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,281 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

I'm starting to think owners and players are colluding.If nothing happens in the next two weeks things are going to get really interesting.

I think the owners are colluding. Probably not the players though ...

• TheLeviathan likes this

#84 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,322 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

We'll never know for sure but it would be interesting if someone investigated. I would imagine there's pressure from the MLBPA and players themselves to hold out for more money. Perhaps Lynn and Cobb already were offered ~3/36 and they're getting pressured to hold out for 3/42 or something. 

#85 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,326 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

I think owner collusion is near certain...but i am warming to the idea the players are as well as a reaction.

I think we see a major free agent sit out part of the year.

#86 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

With the back end of contracts being so worthless eating money it is now collusion that teams do not want to give them out?Martinez was reported as wanting a 7 year contract.5/100 is a lot different than what he was looking for.

#87 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,051 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

The collusion of the 1980s was pretty cut-and-dried. Some good-to-great players simply weren't getting offers, unless the current team put out the word that they were no longer interested in their player. The Commissioner was actively involved in scrutinizing long-term contracts. After that got exposed, the teams adopted a strategy of keeping a database of who they were making offers to - which likewise was a transparent attempt to rig the market.

The case this off-season looks much harder to prove, or even define. Players are getting offers, just not always ones to their liking. Truly free markets go through "boom and bust" cycles - indeed one might argue that the freer the market the worse the bubbles and subsequent corrections - and sabrmetric analysis has led teams to a more co-aligned "rational market", so I'm not at this point convinced there is wrongdoing. But I have an open mind because time will be needed, for instance to know whether average salaries actually go down despite healthy revenues.

• Carole Keller, spycake and Vanimal46 like this

My New Year's resolution: finish what I star