Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2017-18 non-Twins MLB Off-Season Transactions Thread

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#41 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,915 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

Braves trade Kemp to the Dodgers for Adrian Gonzalez, Scott Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy, Charlie Culberson and cash. Gonzalez is already DFA’d.

https://mobile.twitt...116470875676672

That's a ton of cash moved around for a lot of broken junk.
  • Sconnie likes this

#42 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,405 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

That's a ton of cash moved around for a lot of broken junk.

indeed, the most expensive garage sale I've ever seen

• Vanimal46 likes this

#43 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,654 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:09 PM

Rays are throwing in the towel. They've moved Longoria to SF. 

https://www.mlbtrade...n-longoria.html

#44 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,915 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:18 PM

Rays are throwing in the towel. They've moved Longoria to SF. 

https://www.mlbtrade...n-longoria.html

End of an era in Tampa. Kind of sucks that old friend Denard Span has to play out his (likely) final season at Tropicana Field. 

#45 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:26 PM

End of an era in Tampa. Kind of sucks that old friend Denard Span has to play out his (likely) final season at Tropicana Field. 

Isn't Span from Tampa? 

#46 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,915 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

Isn't Span from Tampa? 

Ah, you are correct! Then it's not so bad... A homecoming for his final season. 

#47 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,654 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

Kind of sucks that old friend Denard Span has to play out his (likely) final season at Tropicana Field. 

Yeah but he's had a pretty nice career - 10 years, 25 WAR, 103 OPS+, 1400 hits, good on-base skills. Got to play in 4 different post seasons. And 41m and counting in salaries. Not too bad.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#48 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,235 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Longoria isn't that good, and costs a lot. I'm not sure this is them throwing in the towel yet....it just makes sense to do. That said, I think someone ponies up for Archer and they do throw in the towel on this year.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#49 whosafraidofluigirussolo

whosafraidofluigirussolo

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

DSPN was one of my favorite Twins during his time with the team, but I haven't kept much track of how he's been doing since then. Is it really so clear that he's going to hang it up after next year? I know he's been hurt and the Giants had been wanting to move him out of CF...

Ah, you are correct! Then it's not so bad... A homecoming for his final season. 

#50 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:39 PM

The Indians have replaced Carlos Santana with Yonder Alonso with a 2 year $16M deal. If Alonso can repeat his 2017 season (28 HRs .866 OPS), this'll be a bargain. The four previous seasons in San Diego he hit a total of 27 HRs and .724 OPS. I wonder if getting out of Petco Park helped, I know that place is notorious for not allowing HRs.

I recently attempted to calculate WAR in the NFL over on Purple Pain forums. Click here to check out my article.

#51 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

The Indians have replaced Carlos Santana with Yonder Alonso with a 2 year $16M deal. If Alonso can repeat his 2017 season (28 HRs .866 OPS), this'll be a bargain. The four previous seasons in San Diego he hit a total of 27 HRs and .724 OPS. I wonder if getting out of Petco Park helped, I know that place is notorious for not allowing HRs.

I think this is a move that really helps the Indians. Alonso was a guy who very notably worked on his swing angle and hit for much more power, but he's always played quality 1B defense and had a good contact ability. Not a huge drop off from Santana, for a lot less money, giving them a lot of flexibility to not just pursue options at the deadline or get depth this offseason, but also to bring back Allen and Miller, both free agents after 2018.

• gunnarthor and Danchat like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#52 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:08 AM

Wade Davis to the Rockies.

Well, it's a strategy. 3 relievers for big money for 3 years.
Papers...business papers.

#53 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,235 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

Starters don't want to go there. Imo, this is a better strategy than not trying. I don't know if it will work, but if these three take a lot of innings, it might.

They need more hitting and fielding now.

#54 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

Starters don't want to go there. Imo, this is a better strategy than not trying. I don't know if it will work, but if these three take a lot of innings, it might.

They need more hitting and fielding now.

They also have a boatload of young arms, so they can expect to need more innings and they are also not pumping huge financial resources into the rotation.

There is some logic in the Rockies doing this based on their location and roster makeup, just unlikely to end well.
Papers...business papers.

#55 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,235 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

They also have a boatload of young arms, so they can expect to need more innings and they are also not pumping huge financial resources into the rotation.

There is some logic in the Rockies doing this based on their location and roster makeup, just unlikely to end well.

Most MLB plans, like hitters, fail. The only one that doesn't is buying a team and reaping the money.

#56 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,915 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:07 PM

I like the Rockies' strategy... They're going to be a fun team to follow this season.

#57 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:44 AM

So, in the year that Charlie Blackmon and DJ LeMahieu are slated to hit free agency (2019), the Rockies are committed to $57 million between Ian Desmond and four relievers, only one of whom is elite. The situation is similar with respect to 2020, when Nolan Arenado is eligible for free agency, except that the least expensive reliever (Dunn) can be bought out.

That strikes me as incredibly bizarre, particularly given the fact that relievers are the most volatile position in terms of performance even before factoring in uncertainty related to Coors (e.g., what happens if Davis' curveball loses its bite?).

The worse part is that the Rockies still aren't among the top NL teams for 2018. 

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#58 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,235 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

They weren't going to afford signing all of them, likely, anyway. I didn't like the Desmond signing at all. These I can at least understand the strategy. At some point, you need to add talent, not just wait to resign talent.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#59 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

They weren't going to afford signing all of them, likely, anyway. I didn't like the Desmond signing at all. These I can at least understand the strategy. At some point, you need to add talent, not just wait to resign talent.

Well if Blackmon and Arenado leave, they won't have leads for their bullpen to protect. 

If I were the Rockies and wanted to add talent, I'd have signed Santana and one of the mid-priced outfielders, like Bruce or Morrison. 

If they can't keep their guys nearing free agency, the best approach would probably be to trade them now and hope for a quick rebuild. Instead they're backed into something of a corner . . . basically a 1-year window, with a mediocre roster.

Edited by drivlikejehu, 30 December 2017 - 12:57 PM.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#60 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,235 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:35 PM

I too would sign an outfielder. They still can. At least the owner isn't pocketing the money.