Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2017-18 non-Twins MLB Off-Season Transactions Thread

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#21 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:54 PM

The Braves traded RHP Jim Johnson (former closer for them and the Orioles) for MiLB LHP Justin Kelly who is not a serious prospect

Braves also sent over a million in IFA funds as well.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#22 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

Did anyone else catch this about Aaron Boone?

https://www.mlbtrade...ibe-tigers.html

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,953 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

Did anyone else catch this about Aaron Boone?

https://www.mlbtrade...ibe-tigers.html

Hmm. I wonder what role he would have served in the FO here? Also, why is Aaron Boone a hot name all of a sudden? 

#24 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:15 PM

Tigers will be signing Mike Fiers to a one year $6M. Not going to complain about this one as a Twins fan.

#25 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:05 AM

Stanton to the Yanks.

Going to be a monster team for years.
Papers...business papers.

#26 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,338 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

Neshek signed 2/17m deal with the Phillies. Heyman said he expects a run on relievers now.

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,557 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

Neshek signed 2/17m deal with the Phillies. Heyman said he expects a run on relievers now.

That's another one gone.....dominant against righties. Plenty left.....

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,953 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

Marlins fire sale continues. OF Marcell Ozuna will be traded to the Cardinals pending a physical. The return is not known at this time. Going off of their last trade, it's probably a C level prospect and a $500 gift card to Cheesecake Factory.
  • birdwatcher and gocgo like this

#29 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

Marlins fire sale continues. OF Marcell Ozuna will be traded to the Cardinals pending a physical. The return is not known at this time. Going off of their last trade, it's probably a C level prospect and a $500 gift card to Cheesecake Factory.

Are the Marlins agreeing to chip in the tip to the waitstaff, or must the Cards pay that too?

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#30 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

I think Jetes is thinking that if he can make the team bad enough, he's got a shot at cracking the starting lineup.

• gunnarthor likes this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#31 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,338 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

Kintzler signs 2/10 deal w/Nats. Options could make it worth 16m.

#32 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:06 PM

Carlos Santana to Cleveland, Cosart to the Angels (to play 3b).

Don't mind seeing the Indians get weaker, Angels really going for it.

Even more clear that right now that the Twins are 6th in the AL.

#33 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

Carlos Santana to Cleveland, Cosart to the Angels (to play 3b).

Don't mind seeing the Indians get weaker, Angels really going for it.

Even more clear that right now that the Twins are 6th in the AL.

Carlos Santana just signed a 3 year $60M deal to play with the Phillies.

#34 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

Carlos Santana just signed a 3 year $60M deal to play with the Phillies.

Correct, typo on my part.

I don't think signing Santana would also make Cleveland weaker. Losing him does. I suspect they'll move Brantley to 1b/dh and sign a cheap corner of. But their lineup takes a hit. They are also likely to trade Kipnis.

#35 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

The Angels have gotten a lot better all of a sudden. They retained Upton, signed Ohtani and Cosart, and traded for Kintzler. They now have a much improved lineup and remember that Trout missed 2 months last year with a thumb issue unlikely to return. This team should score some runs. Add to that potentially improved pitching from Ohtani, the hoped for return of Richards, Skaggs and Heany, the addition by subtraction of Ricky Nolasco, and potential improvement of promising youngish pitchers Bridwell and J.C. Ramirez,and they could be a 88+ win team next year. The Twins may in fact now project as the 6th best team in the AL and maybe 7th behind the Mariners or the Rangers. Time to go get Darvish....Also, now there really is no room at the inn for Alex Meyer. Maybe we can get him back some how?

#36 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

Matt Moore traded to the Rangers.

He is someone I thought worth targeting as a second starter to add this offseason. (After Darvish of course)

#37 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

Braves trade Kemp to the Dodgers for Adrian Gonzalez, Scott Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy, Charlie Culberson and cash. Gonzalez is already DFA’d.

https://mobile.twitt...116470875676672

#38 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

Braves trade Kemp to the Dodgers for Adrian Gonzalez, Scott Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy, Charlie Culberson and cash. Gonzalez is already DFA’d.

Does anyone here know how cash figures into luxury tax computations? Reportedly, this trade was intended to help the Dodgers get under the luxury tax threshold. If they had not traded Adrian Gonzalez, and merely released him, I think his large salary would count toward next year's payroll. When they send cash along with him to the Braves, who have plenty of "cap" space toward the tax, does that cash not count in any payroll totals? In principle could the amount of cash be equal to his salary, and then they exploit a loophole?

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#39 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:09 PM

Does anyone here know how cash figures into luxury tax computations? Reportedly, this trade was intended to help the Dodgers get under the luxury tax threshold. If they had not traded Adrian Gonzalez, and merely released him, I think his large salary would count toward next year's payroll. When they send cash along with him to the Braves, who have plenty of "cap" space toward the tax, does that cash not count in any payroll totals? In principle could the amount of cash be equal to his salary, and then they exploit a loophole?

I'm pretty sure cash still counts against the Dodgers here.

The reason this works for them is that Kemp is spread over two years, while most of the Braves guys are done after this year. The cash just (more or less) evens out thr actual burden, not the accounting burden.

#40 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:17 PM

the cash was only 4.5 mil to even put the swap. Total salaries swapped was 50 mil in 2018 for 23 mil in 18 and 23 mil in 19

Edited by Sconnie, 16 December 2017 - 04:29 PM.