Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

2017-18 MLB Off-Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,157 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:35 PM

I thought I'd get this going now (and pin it), even though we still have a few weeks to go. Please use this thread to track MLB NON-TWINS transactions. If you want to have a more in-depth discussion on a particular transaction, or major news, please start a separate thread. If you just want to make a few comments here there on the myriad of non-Twins MLB transactions, do so here. And as always, since this is the 'other baseball' forum, try to keep the Twins talk to the Twins talk forum. Difficult to do on a Twins site, and there will be no admonishment if it strays to that (wish the Twins had done this or glad they didn't do that), but try to keep focus on the 'other.'

Go!

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:54 AM

5 years, $106mil for Justin Upton. I would want no part of that.

Papers...business papers.

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,589 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

5 years, $106mil for Justin Upton. I would want no part of that.

I wouldn't be keen on that contract for my Twins, but it might be a reasonable deal for the Angels. He's been the Better Upton Brother, and at least it's not a laughable contract like Pujols's. The Angels have more wiggle room for dealing with dead money, if it eventually comes to that. And the "just for fun" through-age-29 comparison that b-r.com offers has names like Yaz, Reggie, and Beltre to consider (although his best comp of Ruben Sierra gives one pause). Justin might have enough staying power to make the contract OK for a team able to take the risk.

Why worry about tomorrow when today is so far off.

#4 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

I wouldn't be keen on that contract for my Twins, but it might be a reasonable deal for the Angels. He's been the Better Upton Brother, and at least it's not a laughable contract like Pujols's. The Angels have more wiggle room for dealing with dead money, if it eventually comes to that. And the "just for fun" through-age-29 comparison that b-r.com offers has names like Yaz, Reggie, and Beltre to consider (although his best comp of Ruben Sierra gives one pause). Justin might have enough staying power to make the contract OK for a team able to take the risk.

That's fair. I was being Twins specific, and considering current assets/needs as well.

For a big market team like the Angels, with a certain window with Trout, makes sense to backload a contract for production in the immediate.

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,143 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

From today's KLaw chat:

Eric: Thoughts on J-Up’s 5-year deal with the Halos?

Keith Law: Love it for the Angels. Yes, he’s risky, lot of volatility in his performance, but he’s a potential 5-win player and still in his peak years. He was my #1 free agent going into the winter.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/

#6 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

From today's KLaw chat:

Eric: Thoughts on J-Up’s 5-year deal with the Halos?

Keith Law: Love it for the Angels. Yes, he’s risky, lot of volatility in his performance, but he’s a potential 5-win player and still in his peak years. He was my #1 free agent going into the winter.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/

Interesting. It's rare that I wouldn't agree with Law.

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,589 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

He's a very astute analyst. :)

• USAFChief likes this

Why worry about tomorrow when today is so far off.

#8 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

He's a very astute analyst. :)

He'd be among the top 4-5 posters on this board.

• ashburyjohn and USAFChief like this

#9 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:31 PM

He's 29, just put up a 5.6 bWAR season, and signed a contract that is actually not much compared to the mega deals you are going to start seeing next year.
He only needs to put up 12 or 13 WAR over the 5 years for the contract to break even.
I don't see the downside that you're seeing.

#10 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,349 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

He's 29, just put up a 5.6 bWAR season, and signed a contract that is actually not much compared to the mega deals you are going to start seeing next year.
He only needs to put up 12 or 13 WAR over the 5 years for the contract to break even.
I don't see the downside that you're seeing.

This (and 1b) is my least favorite profile to give big money to. A negative defender in LF coming off a monster season. I imagine he'll more or less keep his bb rate, but I think his k rate will nudge up, and he'll have to duplicate his career high SLG to maintain the same value.

I think he'll have a fine year or two (though would be pretty surprised if either is above 4 wins), but will really start falling off as the contract jumps up. And he did have a 2 WAR season just as recently as 2016, it wouldn't be a shocker if that is his best year going forward. This might work ok for the Angels, considering their specific window with Trout, but I would want the Twins to have no part of this.

I'll be interested to see how the other bats play out this offseason.

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,143 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:12 PM

Carlos Beltran is riding into the sunset on top after a WS championship. 

During his 20 year career, he appeared in 9 All-Star games, hit 435 homers, stole 312 bases, and accumulated 69.8 WAR.

I remember thinking that the Royals were going to be pretty good back in the day when Beltran, Johnny Damon, and Jermaine Dye patrolled the OF. 

#12 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,972 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

Carlos Beltran is riding into the sunset on top after a WS championship. 

During his 20 year career, he appeared in 9 All-Star games, hit 435 homers, stole 312 bases, and accumulated 69.8 WAR.

I remember thinking that the Royals were going to be pretty good back in the day when Beltran, Johnny Damon, and Jermaine Dye patrolled the OF. 

For me, he's a most deserving HOFer.

#13 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:10 AM

As a Braves fan, cannot be more pleased than I am with Alex Anthopoulos.

Edited by biggentleben, 14 November 2017 - 12:10 AM.

Editor at PuckettsPond.com and Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, come check them out!