Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Daring off-season plan

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rico7961

rico7961

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

The Twins should try and acquire Chris Archer from TB. The offer would be Rosario or Kepler, Nick Gordon and some minor league pitcher from AA or A ball. Then if they could pull that off, they should try to sign FA J D Martinez to fill the void left by Rosario/Kepler. This would give them a veteran masher to bat 4th or 5th, plus Archer, who has a pretty friendly contract. I know, either one of these transactions is just dreaming, but it would be nice if you could pull it off. Realistically, I think Alex Cobb from TB, would be a good FA target for the rotation.

• glunn, nicksaviking, brvama and 1 other like this

#2 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

Rico, I don't think that is dreaming. Both are reasonable possibilities. As far as the package for Archer, it seems like a starting point. Possibly a little light, imo.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,324 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

Archer would add about 6.4m next season and Martinez will probably get 20m/year so we're adding 26m+ to payroll right there. That's probably not realistic but if they did that, they wouldn't have a penny left for anything else.

I like both moves but I'm not sure both could happen. One or the other.

And if the Rays make Archer available, I think it would be a big bidding war that might cost more than Kepler, Gordon and Thorpe (although that is a good package).Might depend on what Tampa's needs are.

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,538 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

I would endorse that plan. Though, as gunnar points out, that hurts fixing the bullpen.

but, I like your thinking!

• GP830 likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#5 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 473 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

I'd be 100% in on this plan, especially if it involved Kepler over Rosario. Rosario continues to develop but Kepler continues to try and get over the hump. 

#6 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

How about CarGo, Carlos Gomez or Carlos Gonzalez? Both would be cheaper than JD in years and money.
  • GP830 likes this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,886 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:19 PM

Archer sounds fun. I wouldn't object to Martinez but I also wouldn't need such a big named replacement for the corner OF either.
  • glunn likes this

#8 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 473 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

How about CarGo, Carlos Gomez or Carlos Gonzalez? Both would be cheaper than JD in years and money.

Either CarGo would be interesting to me. Gomez has some allure, but I wonder if his bat justifies his place on the team. Gonzalez has been brillient in the past, but also inconsistent and has played most of his games at Coors. So I dunno.

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,538 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

Carlos Gonzalez is not a good player. No way.

• GP830 likes this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#10 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 473 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

Carlos Gonzalez is not a good player. No way.

That's as good a reason as any not to sign someone. :)