Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Second-favorite team

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,972 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

My family refuses to either accept or understand that I am no longer a Dodgers fan.  

• glunn and snepp like this

#22 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:46 PM

My family refuses to either accept or understand that I am no longer a Dodgers fan.  

I have not liked the Dodgers since the 1965 World Series.

• snepp and Oldgoat_MN like this

#23 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:02 PM

My second favorite team for many years has been whoever is playing the Yankees.

Even if it’s the White Sox?

Of course. And I'd be a White Sox fan before being a Cubs fan too.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#24 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,157 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

Of course. And I'd be a White Sox fan before being a Cubs fan too.

So would I. We must be related or something.
  • snepp and Oldgoat_MN like this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#25 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,659 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

Dodgers. Other than NYC for 2 years, it is the only city I have lived in that had a team. I have always detested the Yankees, mostly because of George Steinbrenner. (And then the acceptance and spending on roiders). That and the too many gloating fans that I have known. They might have the most fans, and win a poll of Americas favorite team, but they would also win a poll of Americas least favorite team. When I moved here about 6 years ago, I loved to listen to Vin Scully... "That ball was hit on a line that you could hang two weeks of clothes on...." , it was like therapy. I like the ball park tons more than the plastic look and feel of Angel Stadium. The incessant volume and noise of promotions annoys me at both, the Angel Stadium is still louder and more crap and worse than Dodger Stadium. They are robbing us of the sounds of the ballpark with all the BS they bombard us with, these days. As the Twins sucked , and the Dodgers got richer and better, it was nice to have better baseball to root for. It is mostly great to see the Twins play out here every year, even if they get swept.... kinda. Plus, I need a national league team. Because of different places I have lived, I also like the Nationals.

Edited by h2oface, 15 October 2017 - 06:35 PM.

#26 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,972 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

The Dodgers turned into the West Coast Yankees.Between the HUUUGE payroll and hiring Torre and Mattingly for managers, the organization really turned me away from them.

#27 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:44 AM

Even if it’s the White Sox?

Yes, even if it is the White Sox.

I wouldn't cheer for the Yankees if they were playing Al-Qaeda.

• spinowner and Don Walcott like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#28 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:44 AM

For whatever reason (probably because the Yankees were the Yankees, and the early 1960s Mets were pathetic) my older brothers rooted for out-of-town teams.Obviously, I followed in the footsteps of the my Twins-fan brother.But my other brother liked the Pirates, and I can't help embracing them a bit, too.That served me well because I was "all-in" with the Roberto Clemente 1971 World Series and the "We Are Family" 1979 team (that also happened to include Bert Blyleven).The Pirates are not much of a factor now, but seem like a good National League favorite.  

#29 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:18 PM

For whatever reason (probably because the Yankees were the Yankees, and the early 1960s Mets were pathetic) my older brothers rooted for out-of-town teams.Obviously, I followed in the footsteps of the my Twins-fan brother.But my other brother liked the Pirates, and I can't help embracing them a bit, too.That served me well because I was "all-in" with the Roberto Clemente 1971 World Series and the "We Are Family" 1979 team (that also happened to include Bert Blyleven).The Pirates are not much of a factor now, but seem like a good National League favorite.  

I hope Andrew McCutchen made some of these last few years more tolerable.
He's been one of the highlights of MLB for a number of years in my book.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Longdistancetwins and jimmer like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#30 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:04 AM

I hope Andrew McCutchen made some of these last few years more tolerable.
He's been one of the highlights of MLB for a number of years in my book.

Absolutely!Thanks.That's why talk (probably unrealistic) in another thread of bringing him to the Twins has made me giddy.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#31 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

I will always be a die hard Twins fan, but my second favorite baseball team(s) would have to be the Orioles and Braves.  I was a huge Cal Rikpen Jr. and Chipper Jones fan growing up and the few years I was on the Orioles in Little Lakes Little League I always wore number 8.

#32 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:51 AM

Mine is probably the Cubs.When I was a kid my dad and I flew from here to Chicago to catch a few games one weekend when the Cubs were terrible, (the Mark Grace years).It was my first experience watching outdoor baseball and I immediately became a cubs fan and a fan of outdoor baseball. 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#33 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:44 PM

Mine is probably the Cubs.When I was a kid my dad and I flew from here to Chicago to catch a few games one weekend when the Cubs were terrible, (the Mark Grace years).It was my first experience watching outdoor baseball and I immediately became a cubs fan and a fan of outdoor baseball. 

I suspect that is a part of it for me as well - Wrigley Field was the second MLB ballpark I went to after the Metrodome. It was a nice day and I remember coming out of the concourse, looking at the field and going, "Oh okay, so this is what a ballpark is supposed to look like..." I've been to almost all of them now but Wrigley is still a special place. 

#34 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

Before I got my news exclusively from TD and MLB I would occasionally troll boards of other teams. One of them was the Royals and I was always impressed with how they followed and supported their team even through the really lean 30 year stretch, which as stretches for not making the playoffs that is a pretty long one.Plus I knew Jim Eisenreich and really liked George Brett.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#35 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

Rockies

Ditto.

#36 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,703 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

It used to be the Angels because I worked a few blocks from Edison/Angel Stadium.

But that was nearly ten years ago. I just kinda follow up-and-coming teams now with little preference.

#37 Tuba

Tuba

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

I typically root for Atlanta teams. Too many similarities between our cities:

1. NFL teams have suffered tremendous playoff heartbreak and no super bowls.

2. Baseball teams that were dominate in the regular season for long stretches but not enough corresponding playoff success.

3. NBA teams that have only rarely been relevant. (Not a huge NBA fan)

4. Both cities lost a hockey franchise. 

#38 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:02 PM

Dodgers, since Jonny Pod,. That was suffering

#39 wsnydes

wsnydes

Armchair Connie Mack

• Members
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:52 AM

Cardinals.My dad grew up in southeastern Iowa and was a Cardinals fan, so I grew up watching them as well when possible.  

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#40 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:57 AM

The Hate-watch thread made me start to think about this--who is my second-favorite team? (No, my second-favorite team, not my second-favorite first baseman.) I haven't come up with an answer to this question for myself yet. My younger son has generally also liked the Cardinals, partly because he was a fan of Albert Pujols back when Albert Pujols was Albert Pujols.

Feel free to comment, saying who and, if possible, why.

Brother was a Cardinals fan, so yes to this. Followed by Pujols for me. Getting him cheap as a rookie in a fantasy league with owner-friendly keeper rules will do that. First seven years of his career, all at significantly below his value, will do that for a guy.