Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Diving Into The Offseason: A Dozier Extension?

brian dozer jason kipnis ian kinsler dustin pedroia robinson cano
  • Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,040 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

They also now get all advertising and suite revenue, which they didn't get in the dome. Seems like, at worse, a wash.

The Florida facilities upgrade cost the Twins $13.8m (part of which is increased rent payments). http://m.mlb.com/new...icle/40185098//

The Dominican upgrade cost them $9m. https://puckettspond...nican-republic/

Try again.

With that, I'm going to suggest we take this elsewhere.

I appreciate digging into the specific numbers, but before I become think more negatively about payroll spending, I would like to see at least some evidence that the Twins operate in a manner different from the vast majority of teams in the league, either in revenue/payroll split or in a failure to fully reinvest franchise value appreciation. I'm highly, highly, highly skeptical that can be shown. I would guess the typical franchise is even *worse*.

If ownership allocates an appropriate amount of resources (based on revenue level), which by all available evidence they do, I put the onus on the front office to win.
  • jimmer likes this
Papers...business papers.

#82 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,040 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

Another thing to remember about a Dozier extension, Pohlad still loves Joe Mauer, like it or not (I like it), and another contract for him may signify an end to Dozier's time in MN. The 1B market that year is weak and I don't think the Twins want to move Sano (just my thoughts, I have no idea) unless Mauer leaves or retires.

There is enough to go around, assuming the Mauer contract is reasonable.
Papers...business papers.

#83 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

What other teams are going to offer an aging second baseman a five contract??

Offer him a decent three year extension, if he takes it great, if not use the money on pitching.

#84 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,055 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:30 AM

It is funny to me that so often we hear about how people think that because the Twins got a new stadium that they would be able to keep their stars. Brian Dozier is a star, and yet of the first six comments, five of them say to just let him go elsewhere.

And while I understand the thinking for any player over 32, and I get that Polanco can move to 2B and Nick Gordon could be ready for SS in 2019... I wonder if people realize just how good Dozier has been. Even if he takes one WAR off over the next couple of years, there's value in having him the next couple of years.

I would LOVE to see them sign him to just a two-year extension, but there's no reason for him to do that. Are you going to get 4 WAR out of Polanco or Gordon in 2019 and 2020? Will you get that between the two of them? I don't know...

I'm not saying that the answer 100% is to sign him to an extension... but I don't think the answer can be not to just because he is going to be 32 (or 35 at the end).

the problem with the first deal is it didn’t buy his first year or two of free agency.

Now, he’s already declining defensively. Extending him 3-4 years makes no sense. 1-2 years extension makes perfect sense, but is entirely unrealistic. Brian Dozier wants and rightfully deserves a long term payday.

With the needs at pitcher and the likelihood of the contract becoming painful before the Twins truly contend, I can see why the FO would pass.

Not that I want to see him leave after 2018, I want to see him leave after 2019 or 2020.

#85 rv78

rv78

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:05 AM

Give him what he wants. Most productive hitter in the lineup the last 2 years. Need to keep a leader and veteran in the dugout for all of the youngsters they have now. If Mauer is worth $23M Dozier is worth just as much or more.

#86 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

Non-profit organizations aside, EVERY business has a salary cap. Detroit operated for a handful of years with little regard for the bottom line. Every other pro sports franchise operates within a budget. The position the Twins are somehow different is an exceptionally simplistic view of the world.

I have posted Forbes annual recaps here more than once it is was really quite clear the Twins spending policies were in line with the rest of MLB . There is an awful lot of completely unsubstantiated rhetoric around this position. I sure would like to see someone support this position with some form of documentation for once.

Where did I claim, or even imply that the Twins operate differently?

I dont think they can afford pitching AND the example Dozier extension, that's all.

I prefaced it because otherwise someone would have eventually responded, "no salary cap in baseball", not because I was ripping the teams spending.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian dozer, jason kipnis, ian kinsler, dustin pedroia, robinson cano