Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

3B next year - crazy idea thread

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

He has the arm too.I don't know why 3B was never tried when he moved off of C.

Because we needed a first baseman more than we needed a third baseman at the time that he quit catching.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#22 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:16 AM

I've got an idea. Send Sano home with Berrios. Let him follow Jose's off season nutrition and training regimen for 3 or 4 months and then turn him loose on the rest of baseball.
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#23 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:33 AM

I like crazy ideas too. Maybe we get Sano a shin guard? Seems like he hurt his leg while batting.

#24 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

Crazy idea number N+1: Move Mauer to third, like we've always said he could do. He won't have huge range but he's nimble for everything he can reach.

Crazy idea number N+1: Move Mauer to third, like we've always said he could do. He won't have huge range but he's nimble for everything he can reach.

I contend Mauer is more valuable to the team as a 1B than as a 3B. He saved numerous errant throws from the other infielders. He would have fewer chances at 3B to allow his superior fielding skills shine. On the other hand Sano is better suited at 3B than 1B due to his rocket arm, which is perfect for 3B and is just wasted at DH or 1B.

#25 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

OR have Sano and Escobar platoon at 3rd.Give Sano 1B and DH reps when he isn't at third.I think the Twins have 4 guys they can rotate through the DH role in Grossman, Mauer, Sano and Escobar.So when the 2019 season rolls around and Mauer might not be on the roster anymore Sano can slide in and play 1st base.

I know that idea isn't crazy, but I think it's logical.(Most logical is Sano realizes he needs to be in better overall condition to last a full season and takes it upon himself to work his butt off and be that guy and plays 130 games at 3rd next year)

For a crazy idea, and probably one in the thread already, how about Rosario back to 2B Dozier to 3rd, Sano and Mauer split reps between 1st and DH.

Or try Sano in RF.......... J/K

#26 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

I still think Sano should be the primary 3B. I do think though that having Mauer play some 3rd and RF, it gives some flexibility to occasionally DH Sano and that type of thing. I don't see this team doing the full time DH think, so having an .800 OPS guy that can move around a bit certainly helps keep other guys fresh.

#27 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,364 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

On the other hand Sano is better suited at 3B than 1B due to his rocket arm, which is perfect for 3B and is just wasted at DH or 1B.

I don't disagree. But the context of this thread was set as "if/when [Sano] can't handle the position".

Not sure how to weigh the value of scoops at first base versus snagging balls hit to the hot corner. The conventional wisdom is that third base is a more demanding position than first. Anyway, I was just throwing Mauer's name into the conversation as an option if Sano's for any reason not one.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#28 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

why not just rotate all nine players around the diamond every game? campaneris/tovar x 9.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, USAFChief and Sconnie like this

#29 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,055 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:12 AM

Having Rosario try to play third probably makes more sense than having Sano try to play RF.

Low bar, huh?

#30 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:19 AM

I contend Mauer is more valuable to the team as a 1B than as a 3B. He saved numerous errant throws from the other infielders. He would have fewer chances at 3B to allow his superior fielding skills shine. On the other hand Sano is better suited at 3B than 1B due to his rocket arm, which is perfect for 3B and is just wasted at DH or 1B.

Mauer has nearly as much arm as Sano, and more than most 3B's. It's one of the things that made him one of the best catchers in baseball.

• Platoon likes this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#31 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

It's best for the org is Sano had hold down 3B for 5 years and learn the position (a la Koskie). That said, they should have a backup plan. Maybe it's Polanco. He played there a fair amount in 2016.

I'd guess he's the best candidate to change positions. If Dozier moves, I'd think it would be 1B. I don't think he has the arm for anything else.